[APP] 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[APP] Re: 51 Pirie Street | 153m | 40lvls | Hotel

#241 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:46 pm

metro wrote:I can't take these 100m+ proposals seriously anymore, I've seen so many on these forums and none of them have got off the ground yet. I'll believe it when I see a construction site and a crane. :?

But otherwise the design and the height look great to me. Hopefully this building gets up, it's time we got a new tallest here!
I tend to share the same view; if even half of the proposed hotels go up, the market in Adelaide will be saturated.

Furthermore, this site doesn't have a good track record with delivering on it's proposals. This would be the third we've had now? Hopefully, it follows the lead of VUE. But I'm not holding my breath.

Nathan

#242 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:08 pm

To be fair, the first was just a vision and was never submitted.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#243 Post by ml69 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
metro wrote:I can't take these 100m+ proposals seriously anymore, I've seen so many on these forums and none of them have got off the ground yet. I'll believe it when I see a construction site and a crane. :?

But otherwise the design and the height look great to me. Hopefully this building gets up, it's time we got a new tallest here!
I tend to share the same view; if even half of the proposed hotels go up, the market in Adelaide will be saturated.

Furthermore, this site doesn't have a good track record with delivering on it's proposals. This would be the third we've had now? Hopefully, it follows the lead of VUE. But I'm not holding my breath.
Hopefully it will get built because they already have an agreement with a hotel operator, unlike some other speculative hotels.

Does anyone know who the architect is? They've done a brilliant job with the design....

ghs

#244 Post by ghs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:13 pm

South Australia-based development company LGB Australia and Singapore-based Park Hotel Group yesterday signed a management agreement to develop the 51 Pirie Street site, which was acquired early this year.
I think this statement above is the important part. An operator for the hotel has been confirmed, so all they need is
approval for the building, whether it be 30 levels or 40, there's a strong chance of it going ahead.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#245 Post by Paulns » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:28 pm

I'll crack open a bottle of Champagne the moment a tower goes up that's taller than the Westpac building!! I really hope this is the one. The render there looks quite good.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#246 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:59 pm

slenderman wrote: Doubt 123 Flinders will go ahead. It's been dead quiet for over 2 years now. We didn't even get a render of the 135m design. Isn't the developer Datong, and aren't they pre-occupied with U2 which has come to a grinding halt? That said, it could possibly get re-booted if buildings such as this one go up and the developers become more confident.
To early to make that call, some proposals can take years to get off the ground. Look at the Conservatory for example.

U2 hasn't grind to a halt either, it's just the Government prematurely announced construction.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#247 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Whoa. (Yes please).
Looking forward to seeing this one from some other angles.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#248 Post by slenderman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 pm

crawf wrote: To early to make that call, some proposals can take years to get off the ground. Look at the Conservatory for example.

U2 hasn't grind to a halt either, it's just the Government prematurely announced construction.
Didn't keep a tab on Adelaide development back then, so I don't really know the details of the Conservatory. Only really started keeping track of development in Adelaide in 2012.

I guess 115 KWS may be another example, the thread for what is largely the same building started in 2006.

Back to the topic at hand, I realise I've probably become a bit impatient after how quickly Vue sold out. But hopefully this one can start just as quickly, because it's a really nice design for a new tallest and the flow on effects of a new tallest in terms of other developments could be quite significant. Brisbane's probably a good example of this when the Riparian went up.

Patrick_27

#249 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Can someone correct the thread title to 51 Pirie Street | 115m | 30lvls | Mixed Use?

Sure, the proposal has the potential for a further ten floors but that's not what's being put forward to the DAC.

[Shuz]

#250 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:02 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Can someone correct the thread title to 51 Pirie Street | 115m | 30lvls | Mixed Use?

Sure, the proposal has the potential for a further ten floors but that's not what's being put forward to the DAC.
No.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#251 Post by Adelarch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:10 am

Really nice. Even looks a bit like it comes from Singapore - some fine architecture has appeared there over the past few years.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#252 Post by Pikey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:34 am

According to the media overnight and this morning on TV and radio, both the developer and Martin Hamilton-Smith are both hopeful of this becoming Adelaide's tallest building and pushing for the 40 level option.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#253 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 pm

New $175 million hotel and apartment proposed for city

18 August 2015

Minister Martin Hamilton-Smith
Minister for Investment and Trade

A 30-floor hotel and residential apartment development has been proposed for a prime Adelaide city address, following an agreement struck in Singapore.

South Australian based development company LGB Australia and the Singapore based Park Hotel Group have signed a Management Agreement to develop the 51 Pirie Street site which was acquired early this year.

The proposed development would stretch 30-levels high and include a 10-floor hotel with 250 upscale 4-star rooms and facilities. It would also comprise 280 residential apartments.

Designed by GHDWOODHEAD Architects, other features would include a café, bar and dining facilities, meeting rooms, gymnasium with sauna, open air sky-deck with pool and car parking.

Minister for Investment and Trade Martin Hamilton-Smith attended the official signing ceremony yesterday during the State Government led trade mission to South East Asia.

“This is a coup for South Australia – an upscale city hotel would boost our $5 billion tourism industry and support the more than 33,000 people it employs,” Mr Hamilton-Smith said.

“A $175 million development would be a positive addition to our vibrant city and highlights the potential benefits of engaging with international investors.”

LGB Australia is a new development group targeting development projects in Australia, Singapore and Vietnam.

LGB Australia Chief Executive Officer Raymond Chia said the proposed development on Pirie Street is its maiden project in the Australian hotel sector and the company is in the process of making another major acquisition in the State.

“Park Hotel Adelaide marks a significant milestone for Park Hotel Group and if approved, will inject new job opportunities and investment into South Australia,” Mr Chia said.

“LGB Australia has employed a team of consultants ranging from structural engineers, service engineers, architects, quantity surveyors and construction consultants. We estimate about 200 workers and 40 consultants would be required during the construction phase.

“LGB Australia will continue to identify new investment and development opportunities in South Australia. We will bring a group of international investors to South Australia in September to view our projects,” Mr Chia said.

The Park Hotel Group Chief Executive Officer Allen Law said there will be additional job opportunities if the new hotel opens its doors.

“We have been looking to expand into Australia for a while and this collaboration presents an exciting opportunity for us to do just that,” Mr Law said.

“Adelaide has experienced a massive expansion in its convention facilities, the medical precinct, Riverbank and Adelaide Oval developments. Increased flight connectivity, a strong events calendar and continued growth of the Asian markets, will also drive record visitor numbers. We are extremely optimistic about Adelaide’s tourism prospects.

“The Park Hotel Group is based in Singapore with 3,600 rooms across the Asia Pacific region. It will use its extensive hotel network to promote tourism to South Australia.”

The proposal has started its pre-lodgement process with the Development Assessment Commission and will be assessed by the Government Architect Design Review Panel.

If approved, construction is expected to begin in 2017 and be completed in 2018.

Mr Hamilton-Smith said there is significant potential for continued investment in South Australia, which will generate employment opportunities and broaden international networks.

“The South Australia-South East Asia Engagement Strategy is focused on identifying opportunities in attracting direct investments into South Australia.

“This trade mission to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand will strengthen South Australia’s government links and help facilitate business trade and investment opportunities.

“The State Government has also committed $15 million over the next two years for the creation of an Investment Attraction Fund.

“An investment attraction agency has been established and will be chaired by banking executive Rob Chapman who is in South East Asia to speak with prospective investors.”

Read the Previous news articleRead the Next news article

Ho Really

#254 Post by Ho Really » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Paulns wrote:I'll crack open a bottle of Champagne the moment a tower goes up that's taller than the Westpac building!! I really hope this is the one. The render there looks quite good.
Anything taller than the ex-State Bank building will shake the monkey off our backs!!! The sooner the better...and yes, it will be worthy of a bottle of the best French Champers!!!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Capac
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#255 Post by Capac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:50 pm

so what's stopping this from being upgraded to 40 stories? I thought there weren't any height restrictions in this part of the CBD these days.