News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trains

#2746 Post by fishinajar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:28 am

skyliner wrote:So is the Belair line closing? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Out of touch here but would not be surprised - thematic with killing off the whole metro system as is the Seaview line fiasco. If brisbane can have an electrified system in 1988 when it was of similar size to Adelaide, it begs the question here. (info from Australian year books re city size).

ADELAIDE _ TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Only closing for a few days over the christmas/new year holiday period for maintenance/fixing stuff-ups.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2747 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:16 am

@alpsa on Twitter

BREAKING: @SMullighan & Fed Gov announce plans to extend Tonsley Rail to Flinders Medical Centre & @Flinders Uni
https://twitter.com/alpsa/status/678365405044346880

"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2748 Post by PeFe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:56 am

Finally, finally, FINALLY!
This has been on my personal wish-list for Adelaide public transport for years.
But is that only one train track I can see in the render?

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2749 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:06 pm

PeFe wrote:Finally, finally, FINALLY!
Definitely looks like a single track to me. Surely they would duplicate it.. Surely!!
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#2750 Post by Shahkar » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:16 pm

PeFe

#2751 Post by PeFe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:48 pm

And what happened to the proposed bus interchange in the Sturt triangle?
The idea was to terminate buses from suburbs south of the medical centre at the interchange, enabling quick train trips into the city and taking hundreds of buses off South Road.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#2752 Post by notmichaeljfox » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:01 pm

The train is going to the entrance of Flinders Private Hospital, behind a carpark. It's a 5 minute walk to FMC, and not very helpful for people going to most of the Uni. Previous designs have either stopped at the entrance of FMC, or stopped at FMC and the University.

I can see why they did it - this location means they don't have buy houses to widen the road (the road isn't wide and the traffic already banks up at the South Rd/Flinders Drive intersection). But this location isn't particularly user friendly.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#2753 Post by notmichaeljfox » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:08 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
PeFe wrote:Finally, finally, FINALLY!
Definitely looks like a single track to me. Surely they would duplicate it.. Surely!!
The expressway worked fine going in one direction at a time. The trains can go to Flinders in the morning, and go to town in the afternoon. Think of all the money they'll save! :lol:

For 1km, I think we can live with a single track. It is the end of the line, after all.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2754 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:38 pm

notmichaeljfox wrote:The train is going to the entrance of Flinders Private Hospital, behind a carpark. It's a 5 minute walk to FMC, and not very helpful for people going to most of the Uni. Previous designs have either stopped at the entrance of FMC, or stopped at FMC and the University.

I can see why they did it - this location means they don't have buy houses to widen the road (the road isn't wide and the traffic already banks up at the South Rd/Flinders Drive intersection). But this location isn't particularly user friendly.
My best guess is that this location offers the most scope for future extension. Around the back of the hospital, up the valley with the footbridge, across Sturt gorge and up to Aberfoyle Park/Flagstaff Hill.
notmichaeljfox wrote:
The expressway worked fine going in one direction at a time. The trains can go to Flinders in the morning, and go to town in the afternoon. Think of all the money they'll save! :lol:

For 1km, I think we can live with a single track. It is the end of the line, after all.
It's currently single track from Celtic Avenue to Tonsley Station. This distance, combined with the extension gives roughly 2.5km of single track.

The 3km distance between the Ascot Park Junction and Tonsley was enough to limit the frequency at which trains could run when it was single track. I would imagine that having this 2.5km section of track would have a similar effect, limiting the frequency at which trains can run. This could be the difference between 4 trains an hour versus having 2/3.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2755 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Halleluja! Let's hope that this is funded and that they finally fix the train line to nowhere! A passing loop at Clovelly Park should be enough to ensure a 15 minute headway, unless they plan to duplicate more of the track.

The passing loop was included in one of the first Tonsley Line proposals that would guarantee a 15 minute frequency was possible.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2756 Post by Vee » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Great news!
This extension gives extra purpose and value to the Tonsley line. It provides access to the emerging Tonsley Hub (and surrounds) and Flinders medical facilities and University.

The single line at the terminating end makes it more likely to get this extension built sooner than later?

Given the terrain and the sprawling buildings/schools around the University campus, the Flinders loop bus should connect with the train station and schedule.
http://www.flinders.edu.au/campus/locat ... op-bus.cfm

Campus map:
http://www.flinders.edu.au/about_the_ca ... us_map.pdf

This forum is already exploring future options for further extension. I'm not sure about the likelihood given the gradients, cost etc. but interested to read these suggestions.

The rail extension should provide much improved accessibility to Flinders, take more cars off the road, reduce pressure on the bulging car parks and improve the interconnectedness and attraction of the Tonsley Hub and Flinders education, medical precinct. The Sturt Triangle bus interchange (when built?) will add to public transport options for the southern suburbs.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2757 Post by AG » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Norman wrote:Halleluja! Let's hope that this is funded and that they finally fix the train line to nowhere! A passing loop at Clovelly Park should be enough to ensure a 15 minute headway, unless they plan to duplicate more of the track.

The passing loop was included in one of the first Tonsley Line proposals that would guarantee a 15 minute frequency was possible.
I think making just the terminus station at Flinders double track/platform would make the line sufficient to be able to run trains at 15 minute frequencies, and also significantly reduce the costs of building the viaduct.

I know here in Brisbane the Airport line is on a single track viaduct (where it branches off from the main line at Eagle Junction) for about 9km with two stations, both double track/platform stations and manages to run trains every 15 minutes in peak hour.

[Shuz]

#2758 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:06 am

If they extended it to Flinders in the spot they have, I think it looks like the long term plan is to extend the line again behind the university campus. Looking at the terrain gradient / slopes and land reservations on Google - this is definitely doable. Not without a bit of cost though. I think this is just stage 1 of the rail extension.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2759 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:02 am

[Shuz] wrote:If they extended it to Flinders in the spot they have, I think it looks like the long term plan is to extend the line again behind the university campus. Looking at the terrain gradient / slopes and land reservations on Google - this is definitely doable. Not without a bit of cost though. I think this is just stage 1 of the rail extension.
Extend to where?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#2760 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:14 am

monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:If they extended it to Flinders in the spot they have, I think it looks like the long term plan is to extend the line again behind the university campus. Looking at the terrain gradient / slopes and land reservations on Google - this is definitely doable. Not without a bit of cost though. I think this is just stage 1 of the rail extension.
Extend to where?
I agree, where? I reckon the Uni would be the end.