[APP] Peregrine HQ | 38m | 8 levels | Kensington

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

[APP] Re: [PRO] Peregrine Corporation HQ | 7 levels | Kensington

#31 Post by eKwatee » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:04 pm

how good is he wrote:Also saw advertised (Romaldi) builders calling for quotes for the main pit building & hotel for Motorsport Park.
OMG, they chose Romaldi's to build the pit building & motorsport park... don't walk.....run before it's too late. You can talk to anyone that bought an apartment in Mawson Lakes that was constructed by Romaldi and see how that turned out for them.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:28 pm

No there were multiple building companies (including I think Sarah, Mossop etc) advertising for sub-contractors to submit individual quotes to them for the pit building etc. Then each building company submits their own overall tender for the job and one gets chosen. Make sense?

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

#33 Post by crowdoc » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:08 pm

These people have some very clever financial and property people working for them but I just cannot see the business case for this. They could easily build a large office development in the CBD and then sign a long lease and sell it on to a super fund or investor for a great profit. Instead they are planning an oversized development in a position that no one else would ever want to lease. So its value to an investor would be significantly lower. They will be taking on more debt to create an asset that would be hard to find a buyer. In addition they have to move out of their existing site while this is built and have all the costs of short term accommodation and rental. What is there motivation for this? Maybe they just want to be big fish in a small swamp.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by how good is he » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:59 pm

I agree many companies do/would do what you suggest. Possibly they are doing this as 1) Its closer than the city to the owners family homes (Burnside) 2) It allows for far more carparks than many city buildings have (incl. there own city buildings - although they own 2 major leased carparks in the city 3) I doubt the company has any debt and may need to keep spending (their profits) on their properties to minimise big tax bills & get depreciation benefits 4) I think they own (and not lease) all of their properties/petrol stations (except the small smokemarts/gift box in shopping centres etc). This may relate to their Palestinian heritage and how cruelly the people of Palestine have been treated (exiled from their own land/without a country) throughout history. I remember reading they did come here with very little as refugees (only 32 yrs ago) to escape war.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#35 Post by rev » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:24 am

No debts? Must be the best run company in the world.
They'll be in debt just with the development of their existing sites let alone acquiring new sites, and lets not forget their vanity project out at Tailem Bend. How about their concrete mansion?
This proposal is simply that, a vanity project.
These people like throwing their perceived weight around, they like and thrive on the attention that comes with being one of the richest families in the state.

But why wouldn't anyone want to lease these proposed building or buy it even?
The office blocks at Port Road Hindmarsh don't have a problem attracting tenants in fact there's more offices that have popped up.
These sites just outside the CBD offer the convenience of being next to the CBD, but without the hassles of parking and more importantly the higher rents.
Do Peregrine own this site/land? They are maximising their lands value as opposed to spending tens of millions to buy another site in the CBD.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by how good is he » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:45 am

Rev I don't really understand what point you are trying to make? I think you are also significantly underestimating their success, in 2015 there turnover was $1.65 Billion & now are ranked bigger than Santos (our biggest SA company on the ASX).

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by Waewick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Lots of companies don't have debt.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#38 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:59 am

I’ve been thinking about this for some time and felt I’d put it out there for criticism. :wink:

WHAT IF Peregrine were to build this exact building on the site of their Pulteney/Angas Street/s service station? With the height of the new car park going on the neighbouring site this would block out its blank wall and it would be very well suited to the growth of this area in the CBD. If Peregrine were uneasy about the idea of closing their city east petrol station (which does trade well after hours with taxi drivers), they could always put in a generous offer for the large parking site on the opposite side of Pulteney Street and build something to their liking there. Then in regards to the site of their old head-office in Kensington, they could build a new (much larger than the average – perhaps even with a Krispy Kreme outlet) service station on this corner and it could replace the station located just a bit further up The Parade and the station located nearby on the corner of Magill and Portrush Road/s. Which would actually provide a more generous gap between the station located further up Portrush Road (between Magill and Payneham Road/s) and this potential new station. The land leftover from all of this could easily be sold, the Magill and Portrush Road/s corner is starting to see a lot of commercial development that any sale of this site could fuel further. Thoughts?

I know this isn’t going to happen, but I like to think (despite my obvious dislike for Peregrine :wink:) that being a strategic brand that they might see the benefit in the street activation that would come of this in parts of Adelaide that really need it. After all, they’ve spent hundreds of millions rebuilding all of the BP and Mobil service stations to meet the same standards...

rev

#39 Post by rev » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:17 pm

how good is he wrote:Rev I don't really understand what point you are trying to make? I think you are also significantly underestimating their success, in 2015 there turnover was $1.65 Billion & now are ranked bigger than Santos (our biggest SA company on the ASX).
I was making two points.
1. This proposal is just that family pulling their dick out and flopping it around and saying ours is bigger and you can't do anything about it.
2. I don't think there'd be any issue with leasing this building or parts of it, given Hindarmsh/Port Road has several office blocks that are occupied..ie close proximity to the city without the limitations or hassels of the CBD.

And who cares what their turnover is. The regulator and ACCC need to step in, in fact it may be too late. If these gangsters keep going the way they are, unchecked, there wont be any competition left in Adelaide. And then you'll see what being ripped off at the bowser really means.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by how good is he » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Rev, I do not understand your (or others) aggression considering no one forces to you to shop there (or work there). They are a successful and parochial SA based company/family that re-invests their profits back here. Nationally there are approx 4000 petrol stations Vs 130 OTRs. OTR in SA is the only state in Australia where an independent is bigger than the multi-nationals - in any market! This is similar to say attacking SA based Foodland VS Coles/Woolies - which control up to 80% of the petrol, grocery, alcohol, hardware markets. My point on OTRs turnover was just to highlight they are the biggest SA company & I doubt if Santos, Coopers etc built a 7 storey HQs anyone would blink let alone say "they were flopping there dick out". In fact this HQs building could be considered very modest for their size. As for the location, as mentioned they already own the site, the owners/directors live nearby & similar sized developments are happening around them. Why are you not also attacking the the Nova & Bath apartments?
Finally Rev considering people have free choice to shop and work where they want, can you explain how this company can continue to be so successful unless more and more people are continuing to CHOOSE to shop (and work) there?

Patrick_27

#41 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:13 pm

how good is he wrote:Rev, I do not understand your (or others) aggression considering no one forces to you to shop there (or work there). They are a successful and parochial SA based company/family that re-invests their profits back here. Nationally there are approx 4000 petrol stations Vs 130 OTRs. OTR in SA is the only state in Australia where an independent is bigger than the multi-nationals - in any market! This is similar to say attacking SA based Foodland VS Coles/Woolies - which control up to 80% of the petrol, grocery, alcohol, hardware markets. My point on OTRs turnover was just to highlight they are the biggest SA company & I doubt if Santos, Coopers etc built a 7 storey HQs anyone would blink let alone say "they were flopping there dick out". In fact this HQs building could be considered very modest for their size. As for the location, as mentioned they already own the site, the owners/directors live nearby & similar sized developments are happening around them. Why are you not also attacking the the Nova & Bath apartments?
Finally Rev considering people have free choice to shop and work where they want, can you explain how this company can continue to be so successful unless more and more people are continuing to CHOOSE to shop (and work) there?
I'm going to respond to this because I feel this is somewhat directed at me also...

My problem with Peregrine/OTR is the fact that they brand themselves in a way that comes across as 'the SA owned company that care'. Sure, there things they have done that could support this, but there are a lot of things they've done to undermine SA small business and community. I'm not pretending that they're worse than the multi-national companies that set-up shop in Australia, but with multi-nationals it's kind of a given that they're bastards focusing on their own agenda. I hate Peregrine/OTR's deception of the people they're here to service.

So Peregrine they want to build this monster of a building in an otherwise flat suburban area, there people such as yourself who brand the nearby residents as whinging NIMBY's if they complain about said, however the value of their house (depending on how close it is to the site) will no doubt drop (even if they sell up before it's built the realtor will still disclose the fact that plans have either been lodged or approved), Peregrine aren't going to compensate for any of these value losses, and the worst part is that the residents can't do anything despite the fact that when they bought their house there wouldn't have been any kind of suggestion that this area would start to emerge as a low-rise hub.

But hey, it's not happening in your front or back yard, so why would you show these people any kind of empathy?

Nathan

[APP] [PRO] Peregrine Corporation HQ | 7 levels | Kensington

#42 Post by Nathan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Who says the value of homes nearby will "no doubt" drop? It's a common NIMBY argument to be fair, and I'm yet to see any genuine evidence that "tall" buildings like this consistently devalue their surrounds. And even then, why should anyone be guaranteed that the value of their house stay as it is or grow?

rev

#43 Post by rev » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:19 pm

how good is he wrote:Rev, I do not understand your (or others) aggression considering no one forces to you to shop there (or work there). They are a successful and parochial SA based company/family that re-invests their profits back here. Nationally there are approx 4000 petrol stations Vs 130 OTRs. OTR in SA is the only state in Australia where an independent is bigger than the multi-nationals - in any market! This is similar to say attacking SA based Foodland VS Coles/Woolies - which control up to 80% of the petrol, grocery, alcohol, hardware markets. My point on OTRs turnover was just to highlight they are the biggest SA company & I doubt if Santos, Coopers etc built a 7 storey HQs anyone would blink let alone say "they were flopping there dick out". In fact this HQs building could be considered very modest for their size. As for the location, as mentioned they already own the site, the owners/directors live nearby & similar sized developments are happening around them. Why are you not also attacking the the Nova & Bath apartments?
I think it's hilarious how some South Australians get all "South Australian" over OTR and the crooks(literally) who run it. I mean christ you people got all wet over donuts.

Do you want to know how much the Shahins care about you and this state? Henley Beach Road..when the new Mogas opened, he dropped prices to 99cents for a few hours. Seeing that, the recently rebranded OTR(former Mobile) 5 seconds down the road, dropped their prices.
Why did he drop prices as well? Why didn't he drop prices first?

The few remaining small stores have been destroyed by these cunts.
These people will open up multiple shop fronts within meters of each other, simply to hurt your business.
They are ripping off their employees.

Coca Cola donated truck loads of their products to the fire fighting efforts for the exhausted fire fighting volunteers last summer.
What did OTR donate? Sweet fuck all. Such great South Australians they are right..?

But hey if you want to pull your pants down and bend over for OTR, because you feel some sort of "patriotism" to these fake South Australians, then go ahead.
Maybe one day when I'm allowed to tell you who they really are, you'll see things differently. And you'll understand why they operate the way they do, and you'll understand the OTR branding a bit better.

And you're right, we have free choice. That's why I use my free choice not to spend my money at these cunts stores.
I also don't go to the Mogas stores because that guy is a cunt as well, pretending to be a small independent retailer, while cruising around Adelaide in a Lamborghini and Ferrari. He's even taken over that independent servo on OG road across from the Shell. It's now an X-Convenience servo like most of his other stores.

I'd rather use the big Woolies and Coles backed Caltex and Shells or Liberty's. I might have to drive out of my immediate area and surrounding suburbs and go a few suburbs over to get fuel, but I'd rather do that then go to the monopoly of OTR fronts.

More and more people are choosing to shop there? More like more and more people have no choice because there's multiple places where there's multiple OTR's within walking distance of each other on the same stretch of road, or every servo in an area has been turned into an OTR.
It's called a monopoly for a reason.

This is one reason why we need to deregulate shop trading hours and allow everyone to be open 24/7 and whenever they want.
Because if people can go to their local Coles, Foodland, Woolies, IGA, Aldi, to get some basic groceries, you wont see so many OTR's opening up in every location. Because people will have CHOICE. And that choice will be to go and buy those items they need from a supermarket where it's CHEAPER then the OTR front.
People will replace convenience with cost. Especially in these shit economic conditions in this state.
On top of that, it will create more jobs as shops will be open longer or more often. There's far more supermarkets then OTR fronts.

Why do people work there? Where else are they going to work? There's not a lot going on elsewhere is there.
Unless you know of a magical place with bountiful jobs in South Australia???

But, can you explain why there's thousands of employees and former employees who are unhappy and pissed off with their treatment and the scam with contracts that the Shahins run? Take a look what their partners in 7/11 are doing interstate and have gotten busted doing.
Peregrine is a protected species in SA by our politicians. Why? Why did a shady dodgy individual have the Police ministers personal phone number?

rev

#44 Post by rev » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Nathan wrote:Who says the value of homes nearby will "no doubt" drop? It's a common NIMBY argument to be fair, and I'm yet to see any genuine evidence that "tall" buildings like this consistently devalue their surrounds. And even then, why should anyone be guaranteed that the value of their house stay as it is or grow?
Do you live in suburbia?
Let me propose a 7 level office block next door to you.

If the council/government want to turn that part of Kensington in to office blocks, and have rezoned it, then cool. Go ahead.
But that's not what's happening.
What's happening is the Shahins think they can do whatever the fuck it is they want to fucking do, and that nobody in South Australia can stop them.

That little traffic incident should have been a wake up call to South Australians in regards to the sort of people they really are.
But apparently talk of donuts and motorsport complexes has helped South Australians forget.

Nathan

#45 Post by Nathan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:55 pm

rev wrote:
Nathan wrote:Who says the value of homes nearby will "no doubt" drop? It's a common NIMBY argument to be fair, and I'm yet to see any genuine evidence that "tall" buildings like this consistently devalue their surrounds. And even then, why should anyone be guaranteed that the value of their house stay as it is or grow?
Do you live in suburbia?
Let me propose a 7 level office block next door to you.

If the council/government want to turn that part of Kensington in to office blocks, and have rezoned it, then cool. Go ahead.
But that's not what's happening.
What's happening is the Shahins think they can do whatever the fuck it is they want to fucking do, and that nobody in South Australia can stop them.

That little traffic incident should have been a wake up call to South Australians in regards to the sort of people they really are.
But apparently talk of donuts and motorsport complexes has helped South Australians forget.
I live in Bowden, with multilevel apartment buildings going up all around me. I completely welcome it. I don't think anyone should ever expect their immediate neighborhood should be preserved in stasis from the moment they buy in.

Do not think my lack of concern about a 7 level building in Kensington is an endorsement of OTR. I'm not a fan either, but see the issue of their building as a separate thing.