[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1981 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:13 am

Does anyone have photos of this "art"?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1982 Post by fishinajar » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:01 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Does anyone have photos of this "art"?
So far they resemble oversized bus shelters...

Llessur2002

#1983 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:12 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Does anyone have photos of this "art"?
Not to hand - but if you imagine this without the glass roof or the advertising board you'll not be far off:

Not that they're bad though - I quite like them. It could have been featureless so adds a point of interest.

ChillyPhilly

#1984 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am

Drove past them earlier today (Wednesday evening). They do look like the frames of bus shelters. Not that high either; a tall-loaded truck would come dangerously close to scraping them. Fortunately, the intention is for trucks using the Corridor to travel along South Road via the trench, which will have plenty of clearance.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#1985 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Apologies for the double post! Got these two snaps while heading over the rail bridge. Northbound taking shape. I just missed the best angle because I accidentally hit selfie mode after being distracted by an almost-fight between a couple punks on the train, but the first of these two is still pretty serviceable. Even then, the second gives a bit of an overview of the size.

My phone camera is decent, but taking the shots through a train window really detracts from the quality.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1986 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:34 pm

I can't see it :S

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1987 Post by Tonsley213 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:19 am

How's the Darlington Upgrade going?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1988 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:33 am

Tonsley213 wrote:How's the Darlington Upgrade going?
I posted up a video not too long ago. Most of the work is still about moving/upgrading the many services that travel through this area.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1989 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 am

Tonsley213 wrote:How's the Darlington Upgrade going?
As Norman said, service relocation is still underway. This is mainly taking place on Ayliffes road, and along South Rd, close to the intersection with Tonsley Boulevard. Yorks civil had established a compound on South Rd, next to Hungry Jacks. This has been removed in the past few weeks. Their compound on Marion Rd is still operational.

Construction of the southbound surface road between Ayliffes and Sturt Roads is well underway. There are rolling closures of Sutton, Maidstone and Lincoln Roads to allow this to occur.

Construction of the northbound surface road is also occurring between the SEXY and just south of Mimosa Terrace.

As of yesterday, two piling rigs were in action south of Sturt Road. The second piling rig has only appeared in the past week.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#1990 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:01 pm

I only became interested in the upgrades and infrastructure to the city recently, so apologies if my questions are ignorant.

South Road is intended to be a nonstop north-south corridor, right? Is that intended to one day be from Darlington to the northern superway? If so, then how are is it going to be done? For one place, Castle Plaza has lots of traffic lights. The road would have to be widened, but then a ton of shops, small businesses are in the way. Is it more likely an overpass would be built, like the one south of the tram bridge?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1991 Post by rev » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:55 am

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:I only became interested in the upgrades and infrastructure to the city recently, so apologies if my questions are ignorant.

South Road is intended to be a nonstop north-south corridor, right? Is that intended to one day be from Darlington to the northern superway? If so, then how are is it going to be done? For one place, Castle Plaza has lots of traffic lights. The road would have to be widened, but then a ton of shops, small businesses are in the way. Is it more likely an overpass would be built, like the one south of the tram bridge?
Yes it is intended to be non stop from Noarlunga where the Southern Expressway starts till Gawler where the Northern Expressway ends.
Nobody knows how the middle sections will be done. We have to wait and see what they come up with.
Some ideas floated on here have been an elevated roadway like the Superway, a tunnel underneath, or widening as has happened with Torrens2Torrens.
If it's a widening project, those businesses will simply have their land/property bought out and the government will assist them(hopefully) with relocating nearby. Same with homes.
It could actually be a good thing as most of the remaining stretches of South Road look dilapidated and ugly. So if these businesses with the cash they receive from the government for land acquisition move in to other areas, say perhaps build new premises on some other main road, they could help revitalize other run down areas/main roads.

ChillyPhilly

#1992 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:13 am

Welcome to the forum, Ser Noit of Loit!

To expand on what rev said, a few pages back I put this together. It's derived from the Scoping Report of the 10 Year Delivery Strategy for the upgrade of all of South Road. The Report details, briefly, the preferred options for different sections of the road and why. This starts on Page 25, under section 6.2.3.8, 'Design constraints and considerations', and lists intersections and parts of the road starting from the south to the north. There seems to be a chunk 'missing' between Anzac Highway and Edward Street, apart from a duplicated Cross Road overpass.

You can read it here: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... rategy.pdf

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1993 Post by fishinajar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:02 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Welcome to the forum, Ser Noit of Loit!

To expand on what rev said, a few pages back I put this together. It's derived from the Scoping Report of the 10 Year Delivery Strategy for the upgrade of all of South Road. The Report details, briefly, the preferred options for different sections of the road and why. This starts on Page 25, under section 6.2.3.8, 'Design constraints and considerations', and lists intersections and parts of the road starting from the south to the north. There seems to be a chunk 'missing' between Anzac Highway and Edward Street, apart from a duplicated Cross Road overpass.

Hopefully they cut & cover between Ashwin and Anzac. It would be a shame to see this inner suburban stretch cut open with a wide corridor, also there would be numerous heritage problems to overcome.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1994 Post by Brando » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:35 am

All design proposals I have seen indicate a preference to elevate over Ashton Pde. You can see the amount of room that is available between the service road at the back of Brickworks and South Rd.
From there the elevated road appears to meander it's way through till Anzac Hwy.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#1995 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:40 pm

rev wrote:
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:I only became interested in the upgrades and infrastructure to the city recently, so apologies if my questions are ignorant.

Yes it is intended to be non stop from Noarlunga where the Southern Expressway starts till Gawler where the Northern Expressway ends.
Nobody knows how the middle sections will be done. We have to wait and see what they come up with.
Some ideas floated on here have been an elevated roadway like the Superway, a tunnel underneath, or widening as has happened with Torrens2Torrens.
If it's a widening project, those businesses will simply have their land/property bought out and the government will assist them(hopefully) with relocating nearby. Same with homes.
It could actually be a good thing as most of the remaining stretches of South Road look dilapidated and ugly. So if these businesses with the cash they receive from the government for land acquisition move in to other areas, say perhaps build new premises on some other main road, they could help revitalize other run down areas/main roads.
ChillyPhilly wrote:Welcome to the forum, Ser Noit of Loit!

Thanks for the explanations, really helpful. Like most here (so it seems like), I'm interested to see how it turns out. I won't say no to seeing those run down stretches revitalized, that is if I live long enough for construction work to start down there, let alone complete.

I am however curious as to how the short bridges under Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Henley Beach Road won't need widening like the Gallipoli underpass. If cars are to turn left or right there would need to be extra lanes. Unless the expressway part becomes one lane in each direction (very unlikely), the bridge only needs to be wide enough to pass under the existing intersections, or there's some other design I'm not aware of.