Incomplete roads

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Incomplete roads

#16 Post by Aidan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Eurostar wrote:How old is the bridge and was it part of South Road prior to the Southern Expressway interchange?
It's state heritage listed and it's made of stone, so I expect it's as old as South Road itself.

It ceased to be part of South Road long before the Southern Expressway was constructed. It was probably done when South Road was duplicated and the Reynella Bypass took most of the traffic off what is now Old South Road.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

Re: Incomplete roads

#17 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Aidan wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 pm
Eurostar wrote:How old is the bridge and was it part of South Road prior to the Southern Expressway interchange?
It's state heritage listed and it's made of stone, so I expect it's as old as South Road itself.

It ceased to be part of South Road long before the Southern Expressway was constructed. It was probably done when South Road was duplicated and the Reynella Bypass took most of the traffic off what is now Old South Road.
Where is this bridge located? I couldn't find it in the heritage register.

Aidan

#18 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm

PD2/20 wrote:Where is this bridge located? I couldn't find it in the heritage register.
Just to the west of South Road, over the branch of the Field River that the Happy Valley Reservoir's on.
Google Earth gives the lattitude as -35.0785 and the longitude as 138.5475

I agree that there should be a better description of the location when asking that sort of question, but fortunately I know the area.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#19 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Eurostar wrote:I meant the southern end, Morphett Road ends in Seacombe Heights, beyond Gulfview Road its drawn in many street directories to go further south, one is a fire track only, further south it got called Adams Road. It even lines up with Panalatinga Road. I was thinking if Morphett Road did go through to Panalatinga Road how much traffic it would of took off of Ocean Boulevard and Main South Road.
It did go that way once. I don't know when the link to Panalatinga Road was severed, but it was a long time ago — i'm guessing it too was done when the Reynella Bypass was constructed.

I think the severance of Morphett Road in Seacombe Heights and the official closure between there and Majors Road occurred in the 1970s, though it could've been he early '80s.

South of Majors Road, Morphett Road remained open until they built the Southern Expressway, at which point part of it was absorbed into Adams Road, and the bit between there and Lander Road closed.

BTW Adams Road didn't always finish where it did at the southwestern end - it originally included part of the alignment of Lonsdale Road. Lander Road used to finish at what later became the southern end of Commercial Road. And Park View Terrace used to link Marino with Hallett Cove before quarrying operations forced its closure.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Aidan wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 pm
South of Majors Road, Morphett Road remained open until they built the Southern Expressway, at which point part of it was absorbed into Adams Road, and the bit between there and Lander Road closed.
Until at least '77, Erin Place and Peter Court at Trott Park were both called Morphett Road. I've seen plans dated as recently as 2007 which still refer to them by this name.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Aidan

#21 Post by Aidan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 pm

I think Peter Court continued to be Morphett Road until its (unsealed) connection with the Adams Road part of Morphett Road was severed by construction of the Southern Expressway. Erin Place was probably renamed at the same time.

The direct connection to Lander Road was removed earlier, but I don't know when.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Eurostar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Adams Road

Starts at Craigmore Road, stops at Yorktown Road, if you then follow the alignment, you then got the former Blackburn Road, the current Blackburn Road, which then lines up with OTR area, but instead curves to west.

Midway Road

Midway Road runs parallel to gasline, then for some reason heads towards main north road. Instead of continuing towards hanson road

bits
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by bits » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Eurostar wrote: Midway Road runs parallel to gasline
Would have thought that would be a water pipe from Barossa Reservoir.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Eurostar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 pm
Eurostar wrote: Midway Road runs parallel to gasline
Would have thought that would be a water pipe from Barossa Reservoir.
Water pipe , my bad

SBD

#25 Post by SBD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm
Adams Road

Starts at Craigmore Road, stops at Yorktown Road, if you then follow the alignment, you then got the former Blackburn Road, the current Blackburn Road, which then lines up with OTR area, but instead curves to west.
There is another section still named Adams Road south of the football club, parallel to Turner Drive through to Seaborough Road.

North of Craigmore Road, when the housing estate was built, Adams Road is named Camelot Drive. The alignment exists all the way through to the Gawler council and has a High Voltage electricity line (133kV ?) on it. The clearance requirements for the HV line must have changed, as the last housing estate has HUGE front yards adjacent to the power line.
Eurostar wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm
Midway Road

Midway Road runs parallel to gasline, then for some reason heads towards main north road. Instead of continuing towards hanson road
It is the water pipe from the Barossa Reservoir to somewhere near the Torrens. South of where you can see it by Midway Road, it goes underground, behind the RSL, down Halsey Road then Derrick Road to near OTR Hillbank. It turns and you can trace the line on Google Maps to see where it goes, under Marian Street, then across Black Top Road and adjacent to Bungarra Street and across the Little Para River at the end of Stanford Road. It's above ground on the east side of Bridge Road again for a while too.

North of the Midway Tavern, the pipeline follows Hanson Road (I wonder if that was the edge of 1960s Elizabeth Downs suburbia). It continues next to (or under, for a little bit on the north side of Craigmore Road) Bentley Road. Bentley Road has been closed between Uley and Craigmore Roads, then is sealed from Craigmore to Midway Road and unsealed to Smith Road. The alignment exists all the way to Potts Road in Evanston Park. Three more sections of it are made (all named Bentley Road), but it hasn't been made to cross the gullies running down from the hills. There is also a high pressure gas pipe in the easement in the Gawler Council area. It would be ideal to build a bikeway to connect all the schools on and near it with the housing. It's elevated enough that it has decent views of the plains in some areas too.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by HiTouch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 am

This is a slight tangent but it still seems appropriate as Golden Grove Road is a purposely incomplete road with the TTP end being converted into the Modbury o-bahn interchange. With the parkland that goes along beside it, is that corridor reserved for a future OBahn extension or for widening?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by Goodsy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 am
This is a slight tangent but it still seems appropriate as Golden Grove Road is a purposely incomplete road with the TTP end being converted into the Modbury o-bahn interchange. With the parkland that goes along beside it, is that corridor reserved for a future OBahn extension or for widening?
No, the original O-bahn reserve was McIntyre Road

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Goodsy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Is there suppose to be a corridor for the Grove Way to go all the way to Port Wakefield Road?

SBD

#29 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:07 pm
Is there suppose to be a corridor for the Grove Way to go all the way to Port Wakefield Road?

Not as any kind of major road I don't think, but a lot of the northern Adelaide Plains have road reserves on an approximate 1-mile square grid, so Saints Road, Porter Street, part of Commercial Road, most of Diment Road and Mill Road line up.

Philip Highway and Salisbury Highway line up, with a kink to allow a larger block of land for Holden in the 1950s. The modified Philip Highway then has a road reserve to cross the Little Para River aligning to Moss Road leading in to the end of Fenden Road near the Saints Road intersection.

The grid also got disturbed in what was then "Penfield" in the 1940s to establish plenty of space for the munitions factory, and possibly more in the 1960s for RAAF Edinburgh.

ChillyPhilly

#30 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:12 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 am
McIntyre Road and the O-Bahn track formed the Modbury Freeway corridor in the MATS Plan.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.