Sad and pathetic: Federation Square's southern building to be replaced by Apple store

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

Sad and pathetic: Federation Square's southern building to be replaced by Apple store

#1 Post by HeapsGood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:48 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-20/f ... re/9275498

I hope they finally build a Krispy Kreme in the middle of Victoria Square :roll:
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Sad and pathetic: Federation Square's southern building to be replaced by Apple store

#2 Post by rev » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't see what's sad and pathetic about it.
It's not going to be a regular apple store like the one in Rundle Mall, and sadly(because I don't see or get the hype), it does draw people/tourists in.
This sort of thing can work in Melbourne and Sydney, global cities.
It would be pathetic for Adelaide, because let's face it, we aren't on the same level as those two cities.

But if you read the article it does say there will be more public space created and the area will be better linked with the Yarra River. That's a good thing surely.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Sad and pathetic: Federation Square's southern building to be replaced by Apple store

#3 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:04 pm

It still does not match in with the rest of the architecture of Federation Square. And the extra public space, from what I've seen, will be minimal.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by HiTouch » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 pm
It's not going to be a regular apple store like the one in Rundle Mall, and sadly(because I don't see or get the hype), it does draw people/tourists in.
It would be pathetic for Adelaide, because let's face it, we aren't on the same level as those two cities.

But if you read the article it does say there will be more public space created and the area will be better linked with the Yarra River. That's a good thing surely.
It’s a terrible idea as it’s a cultural hub that draws in plenty of tourists. There are plenty of places that the store can be built that would be appropriate. Even building it across the road would be alright. But because it’s right in the heart, It’s no different to building a Maccas inside the Opera House. Unnecessary.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:03 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 pm
rev wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 pm

It’s a terrible idea as it’s a cultural hub that draws in plenty of tourists. There are plenty of places that the store can be built that would be appropriate. Even building it across the road would be alright. But because it’s right in the heart, It’s no different to building a Maccas inside the Opera House. Unnecessary.
One could argue that Apple is part of our modern western tech-oriented culture.