News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2311 Post by Nathan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:04 pm
Nathan wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:06 pm
While the tram line has been closed, they've been busy replanting the median strips between the tracks along Port Rd. Hopefully the new plantings have survived the heatwave.
Thank goodness. Does this include adjacent to the Ent Cent terminal do you know? And yes...lets hope it's better maintained and survives this summer.
Not sure. When I saw them, they were working from the Mile End end heading North and had gotten just past the Bonython Park tram stop. Would hope so.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2312 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am

Here's some footage I shot today which shows the new intersection from the driver's perspective. Unfortunately the quality isn't 100%, but it does provide some insight how the signals work.

https://youtu.be/Z2uwpM262BE

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#2313 Post by Haso » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 am

Yes, it was a little bit messy Monday. Around 1pm I went for a short ride between City West and Rundle Mall and then back. Took me more than one hour to complete the trip and most of that time I spent waiting for a tram.  On North Terrace section the tracks were dirty with a lot of leaves…and tram was struggling uphill especially after stopping next to Victoria st. On the way back a tram driver has received instructions from an instructor who board a tram at Rundlle Mall stop about how to approach lights on the intersection. Anyway… good to see them again.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

[Shuz]

#2314 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am

Looks like they kept the crossover at Rundle Mall after all...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2315 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am

@ColJamesTiser has just tweeted:
Seriously, why are the tracks on the North Terrace Tram extension being lifted out and relaid? Causing chaos still. Has it been stuffed up or not @SMullighan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#2316 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am
Seriously, why are the tracks on the North Terrace Tram extension being lifted out and relaid? Causing chaos still. Has it been stuffed up or not @SMullighan?
He can be a real twit sometimes. Nothing is being lifted out and relaid, they're the sections that were still to be done (immediately west of Frome St intersection, and outside Urbanest).

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2317 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am

Nathan wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:
He can be a real twit sometimes. Nothing is being lifted out and relaid, they're the sections that were still to be done (immediately west of Frome St intersection, and outside Urbanest).
During the first stage where North Tce was surprisingly shut down( I mean they didn’t tell anyone weeks in advance did they?) he was the chief” what a mess this whole shitfight is!” Cheerleader at the ‘tiser and on Twitter. What a Nobber.

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2318 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 am

Nathan wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:
Is that the bit that was laid as single track because of the roadway being blocked off by construction hoardings?

Nathan

#2319 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 am
Nathan wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:
Is that the bit that was laid as single track because of the roadway being blocked off by construction hoardings?
The photo he posted was the section near Frome St, but they are working on both bits now.

Nathan

#2320 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am

And the reason why from the government media unit:
Some sections of the tracks were laid but deliberately not concreted along North Terrace as SA Power Networks still required access to sub-surface infrastructure. Now SAPN complete their work, these sections of rail are being concreted.

This was always how the construction was planned. It prevents concrete being poured and setting tracks in place, then the concrete having to be cut and excavated out.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2321 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am

Nathan wrote:And the reason why from the government media unit:
Some sections of the tracks were laid but deliberately not concreted along North Terrace as SA Power Networks still required access to sub-surface infrastructure. Now SAPN complete their work, these sections of rail are being concreted.

This was always how the construction was planned. It prevents concrete being poured and setting tracks in place, then the concrete having to be cut and excavated out.
I hope someone forwards that perfectly reasonable response to a dickhead clearly intent on perpetuating the “aww shucks can’t we get anything right here?” narrativeImageImage

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2322 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:43 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am
Nathan wrote:And the reason why from the government media unit:

I hope someone forwards that perfectly reasonable response to a dickhead clearly intent on perpetuating the “aww shucks can’t we get anything right here?” narrativeImageImage

I think Col James just got owned.

If he actually did a little bit of research (I know, that's frowned upon at The Antagoniser), he could've simply sent a few e-mails DPTI's way without trying to bignote himself and looking like a twit on Twitter.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2323 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:37 pm

A stupid moron is what he is.

rubberman

#2324 Post by rubberman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 pm

I think the most objectionable aspect of the criticism is that the project actually has been pretty well managed by DPTI and the Contractor. They have worked around a lot of problems, kept the street open as much as possible, kept to the programmed time despite nasty weather, had to slot in around Christmas pageant, shopping, New Year and the Tour Downunder.

It's particularly disheartening when someone does a good job that they just get an ignorant bucketing.

People can read my previous comments and know that I am pretty critical of some tram issues here, but I hope that when DPTI do a good job they ought to get credit for it.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#2325 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:19 pm

West Terrace tram stop has been renamed to Royal Adelaide Hospital.