News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2551 Post by rubberman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Haso wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:46 pm
Referring to today IndDaily article... and Heapsgood post

Does this route make sense? Magill road is too narrow for tram and road traffic (for Australian perception) and that will create a lot of opposition...

preferred-route-1100x329.jpg
That wasn't one of the routes looked at under the multi-factor analysis released earlier. Is it really official, or did the paper just dream it up?

It doesn't make sense.

I shall wait and see.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2552 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 pm

HeapsGood wrote:I also hate the Osmond Tce option... it should continue down the Parade and then go up either Port Rush or Glynburn before going onto Magill.
Port rush is a major freight and transport corridor I like the Osmond tce plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#2553 Post by shiftaling » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:27 pm

If the tram were proposed to destroy the median strip of Osmond to the south of the Parade it would certainly be a travesty, but the section between the Parade and Magill Road isn't that long, and is mainly businesses, schools or higher density residential such as townhouses. I'm open to it.

I think there is also a good number of shops and restaurants etc along many stretches of Magill Road that might benefit from a tram, more so than the eastern end of the Parade (ie east of Portrush)

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2554 Post by omada » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Good in depth article, interesting point concerning Melbourne - the largest, but slowest tram network in the world - quite the assertion? Can the tram buffs here verify?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2555 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm

omada wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:17 pm
Good in depth article, interesting point concerning Melbourne - the largest, but slowest tram network in the world - quite the assertion? Can the tram buffs here verify?
I know Istanbul has a big tram network, but I'm not sure how fast or slow they run.

In Europe, a lot of tram networks have been turned into light metro systems that run underground in the city centres and in their own reservation in the suburbs. Street running trams are found more in the middle-sized cities such as Freiburg.

This photo from my hometown Stuttgart shows the tram running in the middle of one on the main arterials.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#2556 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:29 pm

According to Yarra Trams the average speed of a tram in Melbourne is 16km/h in the suburbs and 11km/h in the CBD, they are painfully slow at times. http://www.yarratrams.com.au/about-us/w ... s-figures/
Does the North Adelaide extension have any new trams included? The Norwood one has four in the proposal, so how many if any in the North Adelaide one.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#2557 Post by Haso » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:38 pm

I think, there are some fundamental differences between cities like Adelaide and cities in Europe with similar population size. Majority of European cities are (the) burg type cities and Adelaide is typical American type…spread around in a huge area with a very low population density.
Another big difference is our attitude toward public transport… in Europe is an acceptable way of traveling around, here in Adelaide we have only less than 3% of population using our public system daily.
If you take for an example city like Zurich, population 1.3 mil almost like Adelaide, Zurich has yearly more than 210 million tram passenger trips (on an excellent tram network). This yearly number is a bit higher than total number of tram passengers in Melbourne with population of 4 million. I am not counting here trips by buses, trolleybuses and local trains in Zurich. On the other hand, Adelaide has yearly less than 70 million passenger’s trips in any form of our public transport.
I do not think that is good comparing tram networks in Europe with what we have here or what will we have here. We really have to look for our local conditions and tailor the system according to our needs. Also, what we had here in 50’s can’t be comparable with our needs today and it can’t be used as an example… it was a different time with different needs.
And please, I am not targeting anyone here… I just think that Adelaide deserve a good, local tailored tram network regardless of the election needs.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2558 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:29 pm
According to Yarra Trams the average speed of a tram in Melbourne is 16km/h in the suburbs and 11km/h in the CBD, they are painfully slow at times. http://www.yarratrams.com.au/about-us/w ... s-figures/
Does the North Adelaide extension have any new trams included? The Norwood one has four in the proposal, so how many if any in the North Adelaide one.
The ABC said 8 new trams would be purchased.

[Shuz]

#2559 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:31 pm

8 in total or 8 for North Adelaide and 4 for Norwood?

Either way a new depot is definitely needed.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Patrick_27

#2560 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:40 pm

HeapsGood wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm
I also hate the Osmond Tce option... it should continue down the Parade and then go up either Port Rush or Glynburn before going onto Magill.
Going down P/R Road would cause a massive headache to what is a key road freight route and crossing over P/R Road and continuing up the Parade is too difficult because the intersection is too narrow. I think Magill Road is the right choice, but I would have preferred to see the Parade tram terminate just before P/R Road so it can serve the entire retail strip rather than just a couple of shopping centres.

SBD

#2561 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:40 pm
HeapsGood wrote:
I also hate the Osmond Tce option... it should continue down the Parade and then go up either Port Rush or Glynburn before going onto Magill.
Going down P/R Road would cause a massive headache to what is a key road freight route and crossing over P/R Road and continuing up the Parade is too difficult because the intersection is too narrow. I think Magill Road is the right choice, but I would have preferred to see the Parade tram terminate just before P/R Road so it can serve the entire retail strip rather than just a couple of shopping centres.
I thought the development approval for the Peregrine building allowed for space for the tram to be extended along the Parade past there.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#2562 Post by fishinajar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Haso wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:46 pm
Referring to today IndDaily article... and Heapsgood post

Does this route make sense? Magill road is too narrow for tram and road traffic (for Australian perception) and that will create a lot of opposition...

preferred-route-1100x329.jpg
With this option eventually in the future we would have both lines running the full length. I like it.

The Scooter Guy

#2563 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:10 pm

greenknight wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 am
O'Connell Street Trams announced as well -- https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/02/26/ ... onnell-st/
YAY!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

EBG

#2564 Post by EBG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Portrush Road is stuffed already and so should be avoided as a tram route.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2565 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 pm

When is the Libs going to release anything transport related... at this rate it could be another 4 years of Labor.

Whilst these tramline extensions to Norwood and North Adelaide is great news and will bring new investment to those suburbs, it would be better if the Labor Government committed to completing one project first (railway electrification) before embarking on multiple others. It seems so odd to spend money on the Bowden Junction, station upgrades and an extension to Port Adelaide yet no plans on electrifying the line. Maybe that's the next election pledge?
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:40 pm
HeapsGood wrote:
Yeah, definitely not Portrush Road. Some roads are not suitable for trams and Portrush is one of them.

Also agreed about the tram line terminating before the intersection. In two minds about the Osmond / Magill Road option.