Restructuring the Transport/Infrastructure Forum

Anything to do with the running of the website. (e.g. Suggestions, bugs, etc)
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Restructuring the Transport/Infrastructure Forum

#1 Post by PeFe » Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 pm

I post quite a lot in the Transport/Infrastructure forum and it oftens occurs to me that there are just far too many discussion threads in that forum.

Here is my proposal to cut down the number of threads to something far more manageable...

Public Transport : General
Public Transport : Trains
Public Transport : Trams
Public Transport : Buses (That's it...no sub-threads, no Port Dock thread, no O-Bahn thread etc..)
Regional Public Transport

Shipping/Ferries

Adelaide Airport/Air Transport in South Australia

Cycling

Energy/Electrical Infrastructure

Water Issues/Infrastructure

Roads

North/South Corridor (this is the exception to the rule of no separate threads from the main topic, a project so large that it deserves it's own
thread.....the only one)

Why trim the number of threads?.....to stream line discussion into single threads, focusing and collating ideas/views in the same place.
For example, the separate train threads are unnecessary....when the Port Dock extension gets underway the there will lots of posts in that thread...but none in the Upgrade of the Adelaide Metro Network thread...and this "double up" list goes on....

Fewer threads equals more active threads, more active threads encourages participation and discussion.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Restructuring the Transport/Infrastructure Forum

#2 Post by rev » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:58 am

Wont creating super threads with multiple discussions going on at once make things worse?

PeFe

#3 Post by PeFe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:07 pm

No not really.......how many multiple projects (relating to one general subject) are going on in Adelaide at once?

So the Port Dock extension is being built and then the Gawler electrification starts....well I am sure the people browsing this forum will be to differentiate between the 2 projects being discussed....multi-tasking in the simplest form......after all we are talking about adults.

There are 84 subject threads in the Infrastructure/Transport forum, my proposal cuts it down to 12.....

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 pm

For what it's worth, I think all forms of transport should have a dedicated thread, while major projects should have their dedicated thread as well. Service and policy should be separate from projects.

I have done a bit of a clean-up in that forum and made some of the thread titles more clear.

PeFe

#5 Post by PeFe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks Norman.......I would have been even more brutal......especially with the threads on page 2......merge or delete !

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:33 pm

PeFe wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 pm
Thanks Norman.......I would have been even more brutal......especially with the threads on page 2......merge or delete !
I understand that, but there are some legacy threads that are better off sitting on their own for now. Plus it's nice to have a bit of nostalgia.