[COM] Britannia Roundabout

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#76 Post by SBD » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm

crowdoc wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 am
The problem with Britania Roundabout is that there is to much traffic as there are no other access roads to the CBD from south-east of the city. There is no access from Wakefield all the way around to Hutt St. THERE SHOULD BE ANOTHER ROAD ACROSS VICTORIA PARK.
So re-open Beaumont Road from the corner of East and South Terraces to Greenhill Road, and add traffic lights on Greenhill Road instead of the current sheltered right turn lanes. How popular would another set of traffic lights on Greenhill Road be, half way between Fullarton and Glen Osmond Roads?

It looks like in 1876, Beaumont Road was there, but Hutt Road didn't exist. I don't know when it changed.

Ho Really

#77 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:35 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm
The problem with Britania Roundabout is that there is to much traffic as there are no other access roads to the CBD from south-east of the city. There is no access from Wakefield all the way around to Hutt St. THERE SHOULD BE ANOTHER ROAD ACROSS VICTORIA PARK.
One easy solution that will alleviate some of the supposed issues that won't cost much...

crowdoc wrote:
So re-open Beaumont Road from the corner of East and South Terraces to Greenhill Road, and add traffic lights on Greenhill Road instead of the current sheltered right turn lanes. How popular would another set of traffic lights on Greenhill Road be, half way between Fullarton and Glen Osmond Roads?

It looks like in 1876, Beaumont Road was there, but Hutt Road didn't exist. I don't know when it changed.
Won't get the support of the locals. So wouldn't a through road from Halifax Street (City) to Fullarton Road, Grant Avenue (Rose Park) intersection.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by Goodsy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Convert Fullarton Road into a pedestrian mall from the roundabout to The Parade, problem fixed

SBD

#79 Post by SBD » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:35 pm
SBD wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm
One easy solution that will alleviate some of the supposed issues that won't cost much...

crowdoc wrote:

Won't get the support of the locals. So wouldn't a through road from Halifax Street (City) to Fullarton Road, Grant Avenue (Rose Park) intersection.

Cheers
What would that "easy solution" achieve? It adds more phases to the traffic light sequence on the southeastern end, I expect it introduces another set of traffic lights at the northwestern end. It is not available for at least as long as Dequetteville Terrace is closed during car racing events, probably longer. It also makes the east-west shared path much more complex to use. Depending exactly where it is in relation to the road, there might even need to be another set of lights near the bend in the proposed easy solution.

The upside I can see is equivalent to another left-turn lane from Fullarton Road to Wakefield Road, and a traffic-light-controlled pair of right turns to replace the right turn through the roundabouts. I don't know if these are common ways through the existing intersection. I expect that Fullarton-Dequetteville is the major axis, but that's because that's the way I normally use it.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:48 pm

There is nothing wrong with the Britannia, its the idiots that can't deal with it.

Maybe a set of lights on the Fullarton Rd approach heading southwards is all that's needed.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

EBG

#81 Post by EBG » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:10 am

The southern end of Beaumont Rd used to join the intersection of Greenhill Rd and Fullarton Rd as a 5 corner intersection until some time in the 1960's controlled by a roundabout. Then the southern end was moved further west down Greenhill Rd. The road was closed because the residents of East Tce did not want their beauty sleep interrupted, Even though the residents of Eastwood and Parkside voted to keep the road open. this can be seen on the map at point H1 note at this time the western section of Greenhill Rd was called Park Tce and Fullarton Rd became Eastwood Tce next to Eastwood then Victoria Tce next to the parklands
Attachments
map20 adelaide street directory 1940.gif
map20 adelaide street directory 1940.gif (272.17 KiB) Viewed 6454 times

SBD

#82 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 am

EBG wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:10 am
The southern end of Beaumont Rd used to join the intersection of Greenhill Rd and Fullarton Rd as a 5 corner intersection until some time in the 1960's controlled by a roundabout. Then the southern end was moved further west down Greenhill Rd. The road was closed because the residents of East Tce did not want their beauty sleep interrupted, Even though the residents of Eastwood and Parkside voted to keep the road open. this can be seen on the map at point H1 note at this time the western section of Greenhill Rd was called Park Tce and Fullarton Rd became Eastwood Tce next to Eastwood then Victoria Tce next to the parklands
I am imagining the excitement at removing a set of traffic lights in favour of a five-way roundabout "just like the old days". Another roundabout south of Brittania should help to moderate the traffic problems there. :lol:

It would need to be bigger than the old one as Greenhill Road is a B-double route, and so is the bit of Fullarton Road called Eastwood Terrace on the old map.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#83 Post by rev » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Something I suggested years ago, and IMHO would work, is getting rid of a stretch of Wakefield Road between the new smaller round about and where the race track exits onto Wakefield therefore making it a no through road on one end and removing the 'fifth' road from the round about nightmare on the other end.
Second round about thus becomes redundant and is removed, and the big roundabout is removed as well and replaced with a signalized intersection.
You could retain car parking on that 'removed' stretch of Wakefield Road as well, accessible from the city side.

Ho Really

#84 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:05 am

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm
Something I suggested years ago, and IMHO would work, is getting rid of a stretch of Wakefield Road between the new smaller round about and where the race track exits onto Wakefield therefore making it a no through road on one end and removing the 'fifth' road from the round about nightmare on the other end.
Second round about thus becomes redundant and is removed, and the big roundabout is removed as well and replaced with a signalized intersection.
You could retain car parking on that 'removed' stretch of Wakefield Road as well, accessible from the city side.
Rev, this is a solution that I mentioned a while back too and was also touted a few years ago.

I have closed access to White Street from Fullarton Road but it can be easily left open. Let us know if there are any other variations.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Waewick

#85 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 am

rev wrote:

that is an interesting through, but doesn't Kensington basically lead into Wakefield (and is damn busy)

where would the Kensington road traffic go? I assume Bartels Road?

my preferred option is stopping the Fullarton road extension from getting to the roundabout and force it onto the ring route via Magill Road (I would have a larger turn left lane to accommodate)

The extension of Fullarton coming south onto the roundabout is what generally causes the congestion, it is a 1 lane road and the entrance is quite close to the Kensington road Exit meaning there is little chance for Kensington road users to enter the roundabout. (made worse by large/slow vehicles or timid drivers)

the greater distance between Dequetteville terrace and Kensington Road will assist in morning peak hour. and just my :2cents:

ml69
Legendary Member!

#86 Post by ml69 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:36 am

What is wrong with traffic lights here? Why does it have to be a roundabout?

Gepps Cross intersection with 5 roads leading onto it works just fine.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#87 Post by aaronjameslange » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am

ml69 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:36 am
What is wrong with traffic lights here? Why does it have to be a roundabout?

Gepps Cross intersection with 5 roads leading onto it works just fine.
Agreed. I use both these intersections everyday, and although gepps x can take longer to get thru during peak hour, it is a lot nicer intersection to negotiate. Traffic lights at britannia would be a better idea, but the nothern section of fullarton road (southbound) would back up quickly waiting for the green light

ouchjars
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#88 Post by ouchjars » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 pm

For as long as Adelaide doesn't put zebra crossings around roundabouts, like Europe or even Melbourne and recent roundabouts in the US, traffic lights are the only thing that would give a safe opportunity for pedestrians to cross around here.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#89 Post by rev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 am

Ho Really wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:05 am
rev wrote:
Rev, this is a solution that I mentioned a while back too and was also touted a few years ago.

I have closed access to White Street from Fullarton Road but it can be easily left open. Let us know if there are any other variations.

Cheers
How about this.
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (316.07 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
The roundabouts are removed, four way intersection. The road's leading into the parklands/vic park for the race track are maintained.
A new road from Grant Ave/Fullarton T junction is built through the parklands to meet up with Halifax creating a new route.
Beaumont Road is upgraded and opened to the public, with a new road running parallel to East tce that meets up where Wakefield Road is cut off.
To keep the whingers happy, the southern side of the parklands there, which are derelict and used by homeless people and drunk indigenous, could be upgraded/spruced up so the grannies in the area can walk their little fur ball dogs.

That new road between Halifax and Grant Ave would also help alleviate the traffic congestion for the Clipsal 500 build as all the big rigs and b doubles could come in from there off Fullarton, instead of up Wakefield and Halifax. Wouldn't even need to close it for the event either, so it would help with congestion around that time of year, as would Beaumont Road.

ChillyPhilly

#90 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Why not just tweak both roundabouts, back into one? Albeit with a difference.

Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.