News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#556 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:30 am
Tbh, I wish the council would cease its obsession with continually upgrading already-improved main streets and pay more attention to long-ignored streets like Grenfell and Pirie. Hindley Street doubtlessly needs some maintenance and would benefit from further updates, but other streets are completely neglected and in higher need.
This. Honestly, if the council upgrade Hindley Street or Rundle Street one more fucking time, whilst neglecting Grenfell/Currie Streets, I'm going to run for council myself.

metro
Legendary Member!

#557 Post by metro » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:33 pm
On the topic of Pirie St, was walking around yesterday and noticed that most of the zebra crossing outside the council building has now been removed. :toilet:
Maybe to be replaced with something like this in South Brisbane: :lol:

https://goo.gl/maps/SUGnjNknxpM2

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#558 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:30 am
Tbh, I wish the council would cease its obsession with continually upgrading already-improved main streets and pay more attention to long-ignored streets like Grenfell and Pirie. Hindley Street doubtlessly needs some maintenance and would benefit from further updates, but other streets are completely neglected and in higher need.
This. Honestly, if the council upgrade Hindley Street or Rundle Street one more fucking time, whilst neglecting Grenfell/Currie Streets, I'm going to run for council myself.
Agreed x1000

Despite being a major PT interchange and business hub, Grenfell/Currie St is an absolute mess.

claybro

#559 Post by claybro » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 pm

A couple of things regarding the article on Hindley Street.
1. a push to make it one way after an "incident with a pedestrian"....well lets make all CBD streets one way then because some drunk walked in front of a car.... seriously, this is the slowest, most congested street in the CBD. Making it one way may make it even more dangerous for drunken pedestrians as they will forget to check which direction the one way is.
2. Widening of footpaths to allow for a "boulevard of trees". The footpaths were previously widened and trees planted. The traders evidentially had a hissy fit because for some reason it affected trade (apparently people drive to Red Square and park their car out the front for a night of partying.)-It was all ripped up and put back-minus the trees.

Really, all it needs is some trees planted along the parking lanes-protected by bollards, and some planter boxes and vines to green it up. It is no different to any other nightclub strip in Australia, and trying to sanitise it again could ruin the attraction. The rest could surely be left as is.

Agree BTW with others that Grenfel/Currie Street has the potential to be a beautiful transit boulevard, and needs some urgent attention with standardised LARGE shelters and serious repaving and greening. If they are going to keep the crumbling, already past its use by date Obahn system, they need to seriously consider changing to electric buses ASAP to get some of the diesel fumes and soot out of the CBD, and make Grenfel Street a bit quieter.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#560 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 am

It sounds an awful lot like the early creep of Hillsong Sharia and "real estate value gentrification" that killed the nightlife in Kings Cross, and Sydney in general

Nort

#561 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:43 am

Nathan wrote:
On the topic of Pirie St, was walking around yesterday and noticed that most of the zebra crossing outside the council building has now been removed. :toilet:
I crossed it last night and it seemed to all be there? I just checked Google Street View and it looks the same there as it did last night.

Nathan

#562 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:31 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:43 am
Nathan wrote:
I crossed it last night and it seemed to all be there? I just checked Google Street View and it looks the same there as it did last night.
They've dug out all the road surface that was painted, and have filled in with new bitumen.

Nort

#563 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:48 am

Nathan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:31 am
Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:43 am
Nathan wrote:
They've dug out all the road surface that was painted, and have filled in with new bitumen.
The white stripes were all there last night.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#564 Post by Norman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Gawler Place upgrade, from a week go

And the Pirie Street crossing is still there. Looks like some loop detectors have been installed.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#565 Post by SRW » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Since your photos first base slabs have been poured in Gawler Plc for the first footholds of new pavement.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#566 Post by AndyWelsh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Just in case anyone missed it, like me, here is the video of what they have planned for the Gawler Place upgrade.

https://vimeo.com/296357930

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#567 Post by Norman » Sun May 05, 2019 11:02 am

Some photos of the Gawler Place upgrade

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#568 Post by omada » Mon May 13, 2019 8:55 am

Looking at that video , the upgrade looks pretty bleak to me, more trees and plantings are required.

Llessur2002

#569 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:19 pm

The car park above Parc Arcade overlooking Gawler Place has had a lot of holes cored through its facade. I presume either there are stability issues which require these panels to be bolted to the sub-structure, or there is going to be some sort of cladding installed.

I've never minded this one from a design perspective - it's an inoffensive example of 60s architecture, hope it doesn't end up looking as tacky as all hell.

Nathan

#570 Post by Nathan » Thu May 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Yeah, of all the things to do with that car park, the external concrete is not the thing that needs fixing. The Parc Arcade on the other hand...