[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#766 Post by omada » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 pm

SRW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 am
omada wrote: ↑Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am
This whole upgrade is BS, it doesn't extend or upgrade PT at all, it's merely to satisfy motorists. The previous station was not even old and with some foresight, I agree with previous poster, they at least could reuse some materials for other station upgrades, but then that doesn't help our poor motorist does it? Bitter much you ask? Yes, I find it appalling in this time of undeniable climate change, that citizens and governments are still wedded to the idea of the personal motor vehicle. Rant over.

True, but road infrastructure will remain vital even in a climate sensible future. Chokepoints affect buses and freight movement too, and the trains won't take people everywhere.
Yeah that's actually a fair point, as buses are PT and use roads.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#767 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 pm

omada wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:01 am
This whole upgrade is BS, it doesn't extend or upgrade PT at all, it's merely to satisfy motorists. The previous station was not even old and with some foresight, I agree with previous poster, they at least could reuse some materials for other station upgrades, but then that doesn't help our poor motorist does it? Bitter much you ask? Yes, I find it appalling in this time of undeniable climate change, that citizens and governments are still wedded to the idea of the personal motor vehicle. Rant over.
In a roundabout way it does benefit trains. One of the constraints to the frequency of trains is level crossings. If trains come every two minutes, then the level crossing will never open. So train frequency needs to be reduced to eliminate those complaints. When you remove the level crossing, frequency can increase.

That said, all level crossings need to be removed for high frequency service. Also, those who don't take public transport don't understand that frequency is highly important.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#768 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Individual train speed as well as frequency, less level crossings means less times where a train has to slow down to a 'safe' speed, which cuts a couple minutes off the journey.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#769 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:51 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm
Individual train speed as well as frequency, less level crossings means less times where a train has to slow down to a 'safe' speed, which cuts a couple minutes off the journey.
Road level crossings in themselves don't necessitate speed restrictions on the AdMet network. There are however a number of crossings where there are reduced speeds either because of an adjacent station, or associated ungated pedestrian crossings (eg at Brighton) or track curvature (eg south of Edwardstown).

It is now one week into the Oaklands closure and significant progress is evident:
  • the overhead was removed from the old track
  • the east end connection has been excavated, track base graded, and track now laid
  • at the west end, more extensive excavation was required, earth slopes have been shot-creted, and by this afternoon the track base had been substantially graded
  • at the three gated pedestrian crossings at Warradale and Hove, the concrete pads for the gatework and the ramps have been laid
  • the 'old' Oaklands station has been largely demolished
Having visited the area a number of times through the week I can understand why the station demolition has been undertaken during the closure. Because of the closeness of the old station to the access ramps to the city bound platform of the new station, carrying out the demolition once the new station was operational would have been problematical.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#770 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:27 pm

Firstly, a few photos of the demolished station

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#771 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Paving has started on the main plaza

Station amenities building

On the other side of the road, landscaping has started, and most of the pathways have been done

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#772 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:52 pm

And now, the station itself

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#773 Post by PeFe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 pm

Has the plan to rename the station come to fruition?

If the state government does change it from "Oaklands" to "Marion Centre", then the existing Marion station should be renamed Park Holme (the suburb of its location), to avoid confusion.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#774 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 pm
Has the plan to rename the station come to fruition?

If the state government does change it from "Oaklands" to "Marion Centre", then the existing Marion station should be renamed Park Holme (the suburb of its location), to avoid confusion.
Park Holme is north of Daws Road, Marion Station is actually in the suburb of Marion.

ChillyPhilly

#775 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:55 pm

Westminster or at least Marion East would be appropriate.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PeFe

#776 Post by PeFe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:09 pm

Marion North then...

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#777 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:21 pm

PeFe wrote:Has the plan to rename the station come to fruition?

I cannot find any evidence of it online but I seem to recall that the State Government aren’t going ahead with any name change due to a lack of compelling support or something. I quite liked the idea as I’ve had guests get confused when visiting Westfield Marion and getting off at Marion station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#778 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 pm

There's bigger issues around than the the name of a station
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#779 Post by Eurostar » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 pm
Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#780 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Eurostar wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 pm
Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.
I think if the sun is shining on a cold winter's day it would actually be nicer to be in the sun.