[COM] Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection

#91 Post by muzzamo » Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:09 am
Caltex Daw Park employee of two years, Gowthan Ginjupalli will lose his job as a result of the acquisition. He said he was concerned about the affect the closure of the petrol station would have on people with a disability who work at the nearby Bedford Group and who frequent the Caltex.

Mr Ginjupalli will also miss the regular customers and relationships formed from his two years’ of working there.

“I’ve got many friends here, they just want to see my smile,” Mr Ginjupalli said.

“I just like to speak with good people … I have no idea what I will do.”
As an experienced service station cashier operator, who is presumably happy to work under the pay and conditions that are typically offered in these roles, perhaps he could apply to one of the other 700+ service stations in the Adelaide Metro area?

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#92 Post by A-Town » Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:01 am
There is an former IGA closeby thats still up for lease
If it's the one I'm thinking of on Goodwood Rd just down the road from this intersection, that is now an Asian supermarket and has been for over 6 months.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by Spotto » Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:39 pm
I'm curious about why a party goods store needs a $70,000 computer system, and why it's apparently hardwired to the building.
I think with their new warehouse and other expansion plans as quoted in the article, Peter Van were hoping to make themselves too important to uproot once the intersection upgrade eventually came around, but it came sooner than everyone expected.

That $70k could’ve been better invested in moving to a new site. Just saying...

bits
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection

#94 Post by bits » Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 am

Spotto wrote:
That $70k could’ve been better invested in moving to a new site. Just saying...
Moving to a new site would not deliver them a new IT system. They could have spent $70k on a new van but that would be $70k still not going to their IT system they wanted/needed to update.
So what are you saying?

$70k might get you items such as server, router, switches, cabling, desktop PC's, phones, software or maintenance. $70k bill for these things could be easily racked up.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#95 Post by mattwinter » Thu May 30, 2019 10:01 am

I wonder if this explains some of the backflip confusion during the election... Liberals were worried about the negative reaction to knocking down Peter Van etc? But when they came up with their dog-leg plan people rightly reacted negatively so they switched back.

I don't buy the Peter Van sobs story at all. I'm guessing they can't be bothered moving / maybe the owner is close to retirement anyway and if they can't stay they're keen just to shut up shop? Or maybe the shop hasn't been super profitable of late anyway? There'd be plenty of scope for a new premises if the will was there. The current building is old and in a bit of an awkward location anyway, not to mention the carpark is dangerous to turn into. The government should maybe commit to helping them find a new premises to make it clear that Peter Van isn't the victim here...

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#96 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 30, 2019 1:00 pm

mattwinter wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:01 am
I wonder if this explains some of the backflip confusion during the election... Liberals were worried about the negative reaction to knocking down Peter Van etc? But when they came up with their dog-leg plan people rightly reacted negatively so they switched back.

I don't buy the Peter Van sobs story at all. I'm guessing they can't be bothered moving / maybe the owner is close to retirement anyway and if they can't stay they're keen just to shut up shop? Or maybe the shop hasn't been super profitable of late anyway? There'd be plenty of scope for a new premises if the will was there. The current building is old and in a bit of an awkward location anyway, not to mention the carpark is dangerous to turn into. The government should maybe commit to helping them find a new premises to make it clear that Peter Van isn't the victim here...
Generally, businesses that are compulsorily acquired are offered a choice between relocation assistance or a payout.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#97 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:37 pm

A-Town wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm
Eurostar wrote:
If it's the one I'm thinking of on Goodwood Rd just down the road from this intersection, that is now an Asian supermarket and has been for over 6 months.
That former IGA is a sizeable distance from this intersection and further to that, the Asian supermarket that replaced the IGA closed after only weeks of being open...

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by A-Town » Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:37 pm
A-Town wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm
Eurostar wrote:
That former IGA is a sizeable distance from this intersection and further to that, the Asian supermarket that replaced the IGA closed after only weeks of being open...
It's only 1k down the road, where's the next closest former IGA that's still up for lease if it's not this one? And wow, didn't know it had already closed. Drove by only recently and their signage was still up.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#99 Post by Spotto » Thu May 30, 2019 11:37 pm

The former Mitre 10 near the corner of Goodwood/Angas Road has been vacant for at least a few months or more. But Peter Van would probably have to see if they can only lease half of the space as it's not quite double the size of their current site.

The Daws/South Road site Peter Van mave mentioned previously, do they mean the old car lot right on the corner?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#100 Post by SRW » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:07 pm

Proposed design open for public comment until 29 November:
https://yoursay.sa.gov.au/decisions/you ... rade/about
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by Spotto » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 pm

Slight shame that the historic house in the path of Springbank Road will be bulldozed but it's sadly a necessary sacrifice for the least disruptive path. Also leaves Bedford Industries untouched which is a positive.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by TorrensSA » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm

That petrol station isn't very old (maybe 5 years?). Oh well - stupid decision allowing it to be built there.

ChillyPhilly

#103 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm
That petrol station isn't very old (maybe 5 years?). Oh well - stupid decision allowing it to be built there.
Good riddance.

Pleased that Bedford isn't being touched.

Hopefully Peter Van relocates close by.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#104 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm
TorrensSA wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm
Good riddance.

Pleased that Bedford isn't being touched.

Hopefully Peter Van relocates close by.
There's no reason Peter Van couldn't wrangle a deal with the government to relocate to a new building on the corner next to the high school where the existing road will be removed. Might work out cheaper for the government.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#105 Post by ginzahikari » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:46 am

SRW wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:07 pm
Proposed design open for public comment until 29 November:
https://yoursay.sa.gov.au/decisions/you ... rade/about
They should include 'bus only' stopping areas and bus priority signals to facilitate a continuous bus lane.