Beijing Daxing International Airport

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Beijing Daxing International Airport

#1 Post by rev » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 am

Beijing has opened its new airport.

rev

Re: Beijing Daxing International Airport

#2 Post by rev » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:09 am

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Ho Really » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 pm

What's impressive about this airport is not so much the design and build, which yes is impressive, but the time they took to build it, about 5 years. Perhaps we need a gang of these Chinese to get things done here.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev

#4 Post by rev » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:26 am

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 pm
What's impressive about this airport is not so much the design and build, which yes is impressive, but the time they took to build it, about 5 years. Perhaps we need a gang of these Chinese to get things done here.

Cheers
Should have had them design our terminal. I know it's not as big, but I'm sure with a bit of imagination something better then a rectangular box could have been built.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Ho Really » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:34 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:26 am
Ho Really wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Cheers
Should have had them design our terminal. I know it's not as big, but I'm sure with a bit of imagination something better then a rectangular box could have been built.
Unfortunately it wasn't a greenfields development where they had carte blanche, but I agree about the imagination. Even the extension being built now seems not right. Of course it will improve International Departures and add extra baggage carousels at Arrivals, but it's like everything we build here done in dribs and drabs with no continuity of design.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:55 pm

You want to see an airport that is all over the place in terms of design, check out Melbourne Airport. 4 terminals, 5 different designs (the international section is the worst, and the Virgin terminal is about as claustrophobic as you can get).

Sydney is the best, followed by Adelaide. Perth is great if you love going for a hike (well, at the new Virgin terminal anyway). Brisbane needs a much better domestic entry, the security setup is a shambles.