Great Southern train from Adelaide to Brisbane: Australia's new luxury train unveiled

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

Great Southern train from Adelaide to Brisbane: Australia's new luxury train unveiled

#1 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:06 pm

It's getting on for a century since Australia's most famous train, The Ghan – originally known as the Afghan Express after the 19th-century Muslim cameleers who helped pioneer Australia's red interior – first puffed north from Adelaide on its inaugural journey to Alice Springs.
http://www.traveller.com.au/great-south ... led-h188z7

https://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/greatsouthern
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: Great Southern train from Adelaide to Brisbane: Australia's new luxury train unveiled

#2 Post by Eurostar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:59 pm

Great Southern Rail will find it difficult to compete with NSW Trainlink services in the eastern states which runs trains regularly between the east coast capital cities and NSW Trainlink trains are reasonably priced too

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Great Southern train from Adelaide to Brisbane: Australia's new luxury train unveiled

#3 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:00 am

Eurostar wrote:Great Southern Rail will find it difficult to compete with NSW Trainlink services in the eastern states which runs trains regularly between the east coast capital cities and NSW Trainlink trains are reasonably priced too
NSW TrainLink is a different market to what GSR is in. I have very rarely seen any tourists on the XPT services as the seats are not very comfortable, the trains are old and the food is quite average. This service will have a more luxury and tourism aspect to the service.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by TrebleSketch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 pm

The Great Southern will start service from this Friday till the last Friday of January, 6th of December till 24th of January.

Hopefully... There will be once-weekly or once-daily intercity passenger rail service for those who don't mind travelling between the city by rail :3

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by PeFe » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Wow !! Look at those prices !! Definitely for rich train enthusiasts only!!

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by TrebleSketch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:39 pm
Indeed :roll:

claybro

#7 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:03 pm

PeFe wrote:
How bloody rediculous. It's not the Orient Express. There is absolutely no history to this route, and how could any level of service justify nearly $8k for a couple of days stuck on a train, through some pretty boring countryside. Even for a train enthusiast, this route had no historical context, and the rolling stock is basically the same as all the other long distance trains.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by ml69 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:03 pm
PeFe wrote:
How bloody rediculous. It's not the Orient Express. There is absolutely no history to this route, and how could any level of service justify nearly $8k for a couple of days stuck on a train, through some pretty boring countryside. Even for a train enthusiast, this route had no historical context, and the rolling stock is basically the same as all the other long distance trains.
Insane. I’d rather fly first class to Brissie and then book the penthouse suite in the top hotel there for that kind of money!

western
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by western » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Here's a thought - to make it really unique!! Get it pulled by a 'c38' to Albury, a Vic.' s' class to SA and the '621' to Adelaide. That'll get the real historical element in if high speed is not a major issue.This sort of thing is getting quite a bit of appeal in Britain. Trouble is the associated facilities.

SBD

#10 Post by SBD » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:25 pm

western wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:53 pm
Here's a thought - to make it really unique!! Get it pulled by a 'c38' to Albury, a Vic.' s' class to SA and the '621' to Adelaide. That'll get the real historical element in if high speed is not a major issue.This sort of thing is getting quite a bit of appeal in Britain. Trouble is the associated facilities.
Nice thought, but S class and 621 are broad gauge like the Adelaide-Melbourne and Melbourne-Albury lines used to be. I doubt they can be regauged narrower.

Standard gauge locos would need to either come from NSWGR or Commonwealth railways (trans-Australian railway). I have no idea if any CR standard gauge steam locomotives are still serviceable.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:35 am

western wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:53 pm
A C38 is faster than most diesel electric locomotives in Australia 8) When ARTC's Inland Rail is opened in 2025, that could shave a lot of time off the journey.

rubberman

#12 Post by rubberman » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:08 pm

Just thought I'd bump this up. I went on it a few months ago, and it was great. Food was excellent, as were off train excursions. Free booze included all day. :cheers:

The return journey covers the same route, but because of the different timings, you see different sights, and get some different excursion options.

It's mainly retirees enjoying themselves.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#13 Post by rev » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:13 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:08 pm
Just thought I'd bump this up. I went on it a few months ago, and it was great. Food was excellent, as were off train excursions. Free booze included all day. :cheers:

The return journey covers the same route, but because of the different timings, you see different sights, and get some different excursion options.

For nearly $8k you'd hope they provide some free beverages

rubberman

#14 Post by rubberman » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:05 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:13 pm
rubberman wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:08 pm

For nearly $8k you'd hope they provide some free beverages
It's $2400. There are other options that might take it to $8k. The $8k price would be for the 11 day package, not the 3 day train trip. I was referring to the $2400 option, which included some off train excursions at no extra cost. Obviously, if anybody wants more, then those are available in addition.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by RetroGamer87 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:49 pm

Just another land based cruise ship. What a joke.