Petrol Station Owners

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#46 Post by bits » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 am

I thought the old bottle shop at the airport was 24/7 decades ago and closed.
I wonder if PALS at Parafield could go 24/7 if they wanted? I assume they are not controlled by SA trading laws.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by SBD » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:23 am

bits wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 am
I thought the old bottle shop at the airport was 24/7 decades ago and closed.
I wonder if PALS at Parafield could go 24/7 if they wanted? I assume they are not controlled by SA trading laws.
What are the current trading laws for bottle shops attached to hotels? I recall (perhaps 20 years ago) that my wife was making Christmas cakes very late one night and I walked through a nearby drive-through bottle shop to buy more brandy to pour on the cake. It was only as I was walking home that it dawned on me that walking along a main road with a brown paper bag from the pub might have been a poorly-thought-out decision. :oops:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Hooligan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:52 am

how good is he wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:21 am
In the ‘tiser, Aldi’s are trying to get approval to sell their own brand alcohol in SA. It says for supermarkets in Australia only SA and Qld don’t allow alcohol to be sold. Do you think this will change? If so, could service stations be next? Are they allowed to do so in any other state?
Imagine 24/7 bottle shop/servos!
I can already imagine the public outcry at the thought of buying alcohol from a petrol station. People will carry on about how this promotes drink driving.

Even though we currently sell alcohol to people in their cars with the engines running at drive thrus..... but whatever i guess.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

SBD

#49 Post by SBD » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 am

Hooligan wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:52 am
how good is he wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:21 am
In the ‘tiser, Aldi’s are trying to get approval to sell their own brand alcohol in SA. It says for supermarkets in Australia only SA and Qld don’t allow alcohol to be sold. Do you think this will change? If so, could service stations be next? Are they allowed to do so in any other state?
Imagine 24/7 bottle shop/servos!
I can already imagine the public outcry at the thought of buying alcohol from a petrol station. People will carry on about how this promotes drink driving.

Even though we currently sell alcohol to people in their cars with the engines running at drive thrus..... but whatever i guess.
I wonder if there is any current law that prevents the same or co-located businesses having both fuel and takeaway alcohol licences. It’s not that hard to imagine a regional Caltex/Woolworths and BWS being on the same site.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by how good is he » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:57 am

Caltex to become Ampol after Chevron terminates licensing agreement
SMH
December 23, 2019

Takeover target Caltex Australia will fork out $165 million to rebrand itself as Ampol following the breakdown of a licensing agreement with US oil giant Chevron.

The ASX-listed company announced on Monday it be revitalising the 83-year-old petrol company following Chevron's termination of a longstanding agreement for Caltex Australia to use its 'Caltex' brand, which it owns and licenses to operators around the world.

Caltex is set to become Ampol after licensing negotiations with former shareholder Chevron failed. The name change comes at a tumultuous time for the local fuel and service station giant, which is currently waiting on a fresh takeover offer from Canadian convenience store operator Couche-Tard after Caltex Australia said its initial $8.6 billion bid was "undervalued".

It's also in the midst of a $1.1 billion spin-off of a 50 per cent stake in 250 of its service stations across the country, with plans to create an ASX-listed property trust.

Chief executive Julian Segal told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald the Ampol rebrand would have no impact on any prospective bid from Couche-Tard, saying there was "no connection between the two".

Mr Segal and company chief financial officer Matthew Halliday also said there was no update on the process of the Couche-Tard offer, with Caltex Australia currently preparing non-public information memorandum to better inform a fresh offer from the suitor.

We've been working on this since 2015...we've had a period of time to prepare ourselves for independence. Chevron, a former major shareholder in Caltex, notified the company of the licensing agreement's termination last Friday following 18 months of negotiation.

Mr Segal said the company had been prepared for the termination ever since Chevron's sold its 50 per cent stake in Caltex Australia four years ago for $4.62 billion.
"We've been working on this since 2015 ... we've had a period of time to prepare ourselves for independence," he said. "Now we can act as one and chart our own destiny."

Ampol was a historic Australian fuel business, founded in 1936 and originally known as the Australian Motorists Petrol Company. It was acquired by concrete seller Pioneer in 1988 before merging with Caltex Australia in 1995.

The iconic Ampol name is set to return to petrol bowsers across the country.

Caltex Australia had already been using the Ampol brand internationally at some of its Asian locations, and while the chief executive admitted the brand was less well-known amongst younger Australians, it had a "tremendous recollection" with older customers.

Chevron did not indicate why it revoked Caltex Australia's licensing, but it's likely the US company intends to use the brand for its recent $425 million take over of Puma Energy's fuel and service station business, which includes 360 petrol stations.

Caltex Australia will retain rights to the name for the following three years, during which it will begin a transition to Ampol across its network, which it estimates will cost a total of $165 million.
Chevron's acquisition follows an intense period of billion-dollar deal making activity.

Related News
Chevron back in Australia with $425m Puma Energy deal

Mr Segal says those costs are likely to reduce, as the fuel retailer takes advantage of already planned site refreshes to roll-out the new branding.

The company has also flagged between $18 to $20 million in annual cost savings due to the removal of annual trademark license fees it paid to Chevron.

Caltex hopes the return of an Australian brand to the country's fuel market may provide a much-needed boost to fuel volumes for the retailer as customers choose to shop local.

"We see a very big opportunity to bring back an iconic Australian brand in a market where all the other major fuel brands are foreign," Mr Halliday said.

Anton du Preez, fund manager at Caltex shareholder Pengana Capital, said he didn't expect the rebrand to affect the company's goodwill with consumers in any meaningful way and pointed to the cutting of licensing fees as a positive.

"I don’t think there’s really a negative for this, it’s always better to control your own destiny. In my view it’s pretty much business as usual," he said.

Caltex Australia shareholders will be asked to approve the name change at the company's annual general meeting in May next year. Company shares closed down 0.09 per cent at $34.14.

Waewick

Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#51 Post by Waewick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:55 pm

SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 pm
YellowRoad wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:57 pm
This site would be great for an OTR.
Nah, South Australia doesn't need any more dodgy servos.
South Australian, family-owned businesses are "good" in some contexts. We seem to like buying food and wine from them, why don't "we" like buying our fuel from them?
I was thinking about this the other day.

OTR recently tried to change the land use of site to allow them to build another servo.

As a community we noted the 5 or 6 existing servos in the area (including at least 3 OTR within 5 kms) and decided we didn't want that servo in that location.

The council obliged and the OTR was knocked backed.

But it didn't end there, OTR took it further, which in reality is fine, it's their business and it's good to make sure what councils do are within the rules. However fortunately, again they lost.

The thing that irked me, was they then went after a nearby business to try and get them shut down (completely unrelated business to service stations or mini marts) because that business had the audacity to also be against the servo.

Fortunately, OTR lost that too. But to me that's what separates them from a real SA family business and why I go out of my way not to shop there.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by Eurostar » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 pm

I recall a while ago that there was plan that On The Run wanted to build service station at the former Go Kart track site on the corner of Waterloo Corner Road and Port Wakefield Highway . Also if I may add as cars come more fuel efficient or more and more people start to transition to hybrids and alternative means of fueling a car like electric and improvements in biofuel the demand for ULP 91 will be less meaning fuel tankers might not have to deliver as much fuel as often and at such the same volume, also lot less ulp bowsers will be required on service station sites.

SBD

#53 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 pm
I recall a while ago that there was plan that On The Run wanted to build service station at the former Go Kart track site on the corner of Waterloo Corner Road and Port Wakefield Highway . Also if I may add as cars come more fuel efficient or more and more people start to transition to hybrids and alternative means of fueling a car like electric and improvements in biofuel the demand for ULP 91 will be less meaning fuel tankers might not have to deliver as much fuel as often and at such the same volume, also lot less ulp bowsers will be required on service station sites.
I imagine that plan might have gone away with the advent of the Northern Connector. OTR has Paralowie at Bolivar Road to catch southbound PWR traffic, and Bolivar by Krispy Kreme for northbound. Maybe the Waterloo Corner site could be transport-focused, and try to take business from the Direk Caltex by Heaslip Road, but it's hard to see the business case stack up.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:01 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm
Eurostar wrote:
I imagine that plan might have gone away with the advent of the Northern Connector. OTR has Paralowie at Bolivar Road to catch southbound PWR traffic, and Bolivar by Krispy Kreme for northbound. Maybe the Waterloo Corner site could be transport-focused, and try to take business from the Direk Caltex by Heaslip Road, but it's hard to see the business case stack up.
A site near Virginia might work though.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#55 Post by rev » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:55 pm
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Nah, South Australia doesn't need any more dodgy servos.
South Australian, family-owned businesses are "good" in some contexts. We seem to like buying food and wine from them, why don't "we" like buying our fuel from them?
I was thinking about this the other day.

OTR recently tried to change the land use of site to allow them to build another servo.

As a community we noted the 5 or 6 existing servos in the area (including at least 3 OTR within 5 kms) and decided we didn't want that servo in that location.

The council obliged and the OTR was knocked backed.

But it didn't end there, OTR took it further, which in reality is fine, it's their business and it's good to make sure what councils do are within the rules. However fortunately, again they lost.

The thing that irked me, was they then went after a nearby business to try and get them shut down (completely unrelated business to service stations or mini marts) because that business had the audacity to also be against the servo.

Fortunately, OTR lost that too. But to me that's what separates them from a real SA family business and why I go out of my way not to shop there.
Nailed it. They're arrogant and think they can do whatever they want, think they're untouchable amd above the law.
Family business? Lol they're Adelaides version of oligarchs.

As for X Convenience. One of the owners was on tv a while ago talking up as if they were the small Aussie battler.
Didnt know the Aussie battler had nesely two dozen outlets and drove around in Lamborghinis and other European luxury & sports cars. Maybe I need to update my definition of a battler.

These people arent community orientated. They are driven solely by money and status.
So while spending money in their stores keeps more money in SA, we really could do without the fake family business fake community concerns they pretend to have.
X Conv. dont drop prices to help you, they drop them to take customers from their competitors.
Sure its good for the consumer but lets not kid our selves about why they do it.

SBD

#56 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:37 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:01 pm
SBD wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
A site near Virginia might work though.
Does anyone know who the developer is that proposes a new fuel/convenience outlet at Nuriootpa on the corner of the Sturt Highway and Belvedere Road?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am

:wink: :lol:

Coming soon to Channel Nine.... South Aussie with Fuel Man

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:01 am

SBD wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
The OTR at Paralowie isn't a transport-oriented one, so one at Waterloo Corner could be used to catch southbound trucks needing to fuel up (and, as you say, provide competition to the half-developed Caltex on Heaslip Rd). if OTR set up one at Waterloo Corner with a Subway, Oporto, Wok in a Box etc, it may get Caltex to finally open up the restaurant half of their Direk store.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by Eurostar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 pm

Speaking of servos it looks like Agostinos isn't too keen on Carl's Junior in their servos, only one concept in SA. The Mount Barker store looks quiet at night, Mount Barker would be a tough market to do fast food business in though.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#60 Post by rev » Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 am

The new AMPOL logo which will be used to rebrand Caltex in Australia.