[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#991 Post by mrumley02 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am

Eurostar wrote:I am predicting SA Labor at the 2022 State Election will propose a Salisbury West Rail Bypass via Bolivar as this will make any grade separations of the Gawler Line easier and might score votes
I’m not sure what you mean by this

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#992 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:26 pm

mrumley02 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am
Eurostar wrote:I am predicting SA Labor at the 2022 State Election will propose a Salisbury West Rail Bypass via Bolivar as this will make any grade separations of the Gawler Line easier and might score votes
I’m not sure what you mean by this
The original Northern Connector proposal included a railway in the median which will divert freight trains away from the Salisbury Town Centre area

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#993 Post by mrumley02 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:28 pm

[/quote]

The original Northern Connector proposal included a railway in the median which will divert freight trains away from the Salisbury Town Centre area[/quote]

Oh yes. Why was this scrapped in the first place? I read about the reason for changing from in the median to on the western side of the corridor but couldn’t find why it was removed from the project.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#994 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:30 pm

mrumley02 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:28 pm
The original Northern Connector proposal included a railway in the median which will divert freight trains away from the Salisbury Town Centre area
Oh yes. Why was this scrapped in the first place? I read about the reason for changing from in the median to on the western side of the corridor but couldn’t find why it was removed from the project.
It was never removed, but just not part of the funding for the project. Provision has-been made to allow construction of the project later on when funding becomes available.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#995 Post by Spotto » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:48 am
I am predicting SA Labor at the 2022 State Election will propose a Salisbury West Rail Bypass via Bolivar as this will make any grade separations of the Gawler Line easier and might score votes
Isn't that just the original Northern Connector rail component?

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#996 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 pm

The rail component of the NC was proposed to branch off from the Gawler Line around Dry Creek and cross Salisbury Highway around Magazine Road before joining the Northern Connector alignment. In the original plan, it was to run down the median but this was revised to run alongside the road. A reserve has been included in the project at least.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#997 Post by aaronjameslange » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:30 pm
mrumley02 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:28 pm
It was never removed, but just not part of the funding for the project. Provision has-been made to allow construction of the project later on when funding becomes available.
https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... g_2019.JPG

https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... p_2019.JPG

https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... p_2019.JPG

So where is the rail going?

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#998 Post by Mr Messy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:40 pm

The rail is going to the west of the freewayImage

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#999 Post by aaronjameslange » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Then why have the northbound carriageway through the north most bridge span at the northern interchange, while leaving the centre span unused and useless? Way too much of the current project would have to be reworked to ever build the rail component.

SBD

#1000 Post by SBD » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:27 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm
Then why have the northbound carriageway through the north most bridge span at the northern interchange, while leaving the centre span unused and useless? Way too much of the current project would have to be reworked to ever build the rail component.
I wondered that too, but there have been so many temporary roads built through interchanges to keep traffic flowing during construction, that there might not be that much extra rework that wouldn't have been required anyway.

The left turn on to the Northern Expressway would need to be changed to get the train under it, and the Waterloo Corner interchange adjusted I think, but bridges are expensive to maintain, so it could be that the rework will actually be cheaper than building and maintaining an unused bridge for the time until the line is needed.

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1001 Post by mrumley02 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Can we all just vent for a minute that there is no northbound PWR to NEXY ramp?

It’s an obvious need and not that much work, requiring only a trumpet interchange. This also could have been used as the temporary on-ramp during construction that they’re about to remove.

It’s just silly

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#1002 Post by TorrensSA » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:58 pm

You have to get on at Waterloo Corner Road, does the Bolivar interchange have a northbound ramp? In the video on the Northern Connector site it doesn't look like it does.

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1003 Post by mrumley02 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm

TorrensSA wrote:You have to get on at Waterloo Corner Road, does the Bolivar interchange have a northbound ramp? In the video on the Northern Connector site it doesn't look like it does.
Yes it does. It was a late addition.

But getting on at Waterloo Cnr Rd is not going to be acceptable for huge B-doubles and triples. That roundabout is just too tight.

SBD

#1004 Post by SBD » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:37 pm

mrumley02 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm
TorrensSA wrote:You have to get on at Waterloo Corner Road, does the Bolivar interchange have a northbound ramp? In the video on the Northern Connector site it doesn't look like it does.

But getting on at Waterloo Cnr Rd is not going to be acceptable for huge B-doubles and triples. That roundabout is just too tight.
The Bolivar on-ramp looks to be a gentle, downhill curve, so ideal for big trucks, and I think the left turn from PWR on to the bridge will be smooth enough once all the barriers are removed. This will only be for trucks from the Cavan to Burton area. Others will enter from the southern end I expect, from the PRExy or Grand Junction Road entrances.

It seems odd that the Waterloo Corner roundabout would have been built too tight, since there will likely be traffic coming from Burton, Direk, Edinburgh area too. At the moment, they are only allowed southbound on Heaslip Road. Is teh WAterloo Corner Interchange roundabout actually any tighter for B-doubles/road trains than the Heaslip Road/Waterloo Corner Road one? They turn right from Heaslip to WCR there.

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1005 Post by mrumley02 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm

SBD wrote:
mrumley02 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm

The Bolivar on-ramp looks to be a gentle, downhill curve, so ideal for big trucks, and I think the left turn from PWR on to the bridge will be smooth enough once all the barriers are removed. This will only be for trucks from the Cavan to Burton area. Others will enter from the southern end I expect, from the PRExy or Grand Junction Road entrances.

It seems odd that the Waterloo Corner roundabout would have been built too tight, since there will likely be traffic coming from Burton, Direk, Edinburgh area too. At the moment, they are only allowed southbound on Heaslip Road. Is teh WAterloo Corner Interchange roundabout actually any tighter for B-doubles/road trains than the Heaslip Road/Waterloo Corner Road one? They turn right from Heaslip to WCR there.
It’s the idea that northbound traffic has to head south to go north. It seems silly, particularly when there has always been that ramp and it would not be difficult to adjust it.

The PWR to Bolivar Interchange left is looking a little sharp.

As for the roundabout at WCR, it’s a smidge tighter than the current NEXY interchange roundabouts - possible, but will slow traffic.