Relocating the Government House

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
kaska
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Relocating the Government House

#1 Post by kaska » Mon May 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Ok here goes a controversial one,

How about we move the Government House to a location that is less disruptive?

If you think of Adelaide 100 years ago, it didn't really matter to have the Government House where it is now, but today it really gets on the way of integrating the city, and now that we will have an awesome Festival Plaza and the Lot 14, it would be good to give all that continuity and integrate the whole city with an awesome space.

When you look at the map from above, you can really see that the space is a blocker, and really only favors very few people who shouldn't mind to live in a great mansion somewhere else.

What do you think?
Governmenthouse.png

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Relocating the Government House

#2 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Mon May 11, 2020 9:25 pm

What do you propose this space be used for instead?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue May 12, 2020 12:40 am

I don't want to see our heritage destroyed, but also locking up that land for the viceroy is a waste. Move the Governor to somewhere less disruptive and then we can re-purpose Government House. Government House could become a museum and the surrounding garden a public park.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by SRW » Tue May 12, 2020 1:52 am

Welcome to the forum! This is an idea that's been riffed on a few times here in the past. My position is we certainly shouldn't be touching the building -- it's Australia's oldest government house and an item of significant heritage. But the grounds should be open to the public through daytime gates (like the botanic garden). There's nothing incompatible with that and the governor remaining in residence; you can get closer to royal palaces in Europe.
Keep Adelaide Weird

kaska
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by kaska » Tue May 12, 2020 10:12 am

I like the idea of leaving it as a museum and make the place accessible to everyone.

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Ok, so we retain the building but open the grounds up to the public during the day?

I do really like this idea, it would have some good historical merit to it and fit in well with North Terrace being the cultural strip, kind of like an additional square, and garden oasis without needing to go to the Botanic Gardens.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Aidan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:37 am

At surface lèvel, I think we should leave it as it is. But underground, it would be good to eventually have a car park and an arcade of shops linking the Myer Centre and Festival Centre. And possibly even a bus tunnel as well as a railway station.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.