News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#601 Post by citywatcher » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:09 am

Yep It's already a commercial venture
The parklands are full of them
They can't exist as charities
The council statement spells that out
Reality escapes the comfortatably rich
Next proposal gives the locals half hour access a day , 3.30 am to 4 am

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

bits
Legendary Member!

#602 Post by bits » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:53 pm

citywatcher wrote:Yep It's already a commercial venture

If the local rate payers vote for a council that accept that having 30 minutes access to a public pool is reasonable that is what they will get.

If the local rate payers do not want a public pool, close it down and instead see if a commercial company want to put one on o'connell street.
If a commercial company doesn't want to do that then the local rate payers will have no local pool.
That is their choice.

Public pools are built, maintained and run by councils all over Adelaide such as Salisbury, Tea Tree Gully, Norwood / St Peters, etc.
It is not at all beyond the budget of councils to operate significant public pool facilities.
The Aquatic Centres is not going to close and almost certainly ACC will simply continue to pay to maintain it. Perhaps they will just rebuild with no roof if they want to save a penny, but Elizabeth council manages to afford their pool and slides with a roof.

What could be so broken at ACC that they can't even afford to run a pool?
You would need an investigation in to corruption if they say they can't afford a public pool.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#603 Post by citywatcher » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:36 am

bits wrote:
citywatcher wrote:Yep It's already a commercial venture

If the local rate payers vote for a council that accept that having 30 minutes access to a public pool is reasonable that is what they will get.

If the local rate payers do not want a public pool, close it down and instead see if a commercial company want to put one on o'connell street.
If a commercial company doesn't want to do that then the local rate payers will have no local pool.
That is their choice.

Public pools are built, maintained and run by councils all over Adelaide such as Salisbury, Tea Tree Gully, Norwood / St Peters, etc.
It is not at all beyond the budget of councils to operate significant public pool facilities.
The Aquatic Centres is not going to close and almost certainly ACC will simply continue to pay to maintain it. Perhaps they will just rebuild with no roof if they want to save a penny, but Elizabeth council manages to afford their pool and slides with a roof.

What could be so broken at ACC that they can't even afford to run a pool?
You would need an investigation in to corruption if they say they can't afford a public pool.
Simplistic, misleading , non factual , irrelevant , typical.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#604 Post by Bob » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:53 pm

Apparently the Adelaide City Council have decided to approach the Federal and State Governments, in addition to the surrounding Metropolitan Councils, for funding to consider an upgrade of the North Adelaide Aquatic Centre.

It seems the ACC is not prepared to foot the cost alone to either maintain as is or upgrade it - maybe this is a test by the ACC to see if 'the others' who have made the most noise, are prepared to help with funding.

Not sure what the process will be, but user stats the ACC have in their possession conclude that over 90% of those users come from outside the ACC area, so I assume the approach is a wider community facility that should be funded by that wider community??? This approach would be consistent with what has been discussed here on this forum previously.

Maybe someone else here knows more about the detail.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#605 Post by Nathan » Fri May 29, 2020 10:28 am

Adelaide City Council to investigate the creation of a ‘rainbow’ trail linking Adelaide’s parklands
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... ab589110f2

A colourful walking, running and cycling trail connecting the parklands has been proposed for the city’s green belt.

Adelaide City Council is working on the plan, first suggested by resident Jason Redman, which will be considered as part of its COVID-19 recovery initiatives.

The trail – dubbed the Rainbow Circuit – would be a continuous, two-way trail shaped as a Rainbow Serpent in a nod to Aboriginal culture.

Business SA, Kaurna Warra Pintyanthi, Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association, Bicycle SA, Walking SA, Bicycle Institute of South Australia, SA Road Runners Club and Athletics SA have given in-principle support to the plan.

Deputy Lord Mayor Alexander Hyde said the parklands were not used enough, so a trail would boost numbers.

“Having a trail that links all of our parklands around the city, and giving it a strong cultural and artistic purpose, will mean a huge uptake in use,” Cr Hyde said.

The unfunded proposal would include decorative lighting, wi-fi and CCTV cameras as well as a network of bridges and tunnels to take runners, pedestrians and cyclists under, or over, roads that cut through the parklands.

“Imagine flying into Adelaide and … being able to see a beautiful, artistic and lit pathway – it would put us on the map,” Cr Hyde said.

Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association president Shane Sody said it would make people proud of the city’s green belt.

“Although the parks have all their names and numbers, they are all part of a greater whole,” Mr Sody said.

“It will help identify the world unique nature of a city inside a single park.”

Business SA chief executive and former Adelaide lord mayor Martin Haese has urged the State Government to fund a feasibility study into the trail.

Mr Redman, a passionate city resident, came up with the idea to create what he hoped would become a “bucket-list experience” for residents and visitors.

He had also been in contact with the State Government about the proposal and support had been overwhelming.

“The trail would snake around the parklands and be a unique vision for the city,” Mr Redman said.

“Being able to do things like promote an active lifestyle if effectively what it is all about.”

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#606 Post by SRW » Fri May 29, 2020 11:43 am

I was under the impression we already had a parklands trail? There's an ochre-coloured path completed over the last 15 years or so. This proposal does appear to be a shorter loop, though it's not clear to me how distinct it is from the existing trail. I welcome investment in the parklands, I just hope they make use of existing assets (which they're already struggling to maintain). With regards to lighting, I also hope they consider appropriate application: there are several lit pathways in the parklands that actually feel less safe than unlit ones.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#607 Post by Nathan » Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:43 am
I was under the impression we already had a parklands trail? There's an ochre-coloured path completed over the last 15 years or so. This proposal does appear to be a shorter loop, though it's not clear to me how distinct it is from the existing trail. I welcome investment in the parklands, I just hope they make use of existing assets (which they're already struggling to maintain). With regards to lighting, I also hope they consider appropriate application: there are several lit pathways in the parklands that actually feel less safe than unlit ones.
We do have a parklands trail, but it's a bit... underwhelming. It's no wider than any other regular path, and requires a lot of road crossing.

I see this proposal as something I wanted to see for a long time — a wide, significant looking route, with higher quality landscaping along it's length, and no road crossing — something that links all the disparate parts for the parklands that are currently divided up by busy roads.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#608 Post by SRW » Fri May 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 pm
SRW wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:43 am
We do have a parklands trail, but it's a bit... underwhelming. It's no wider than any other regular path, and requires a lot of road crossing.

I see this proposal as something I wanted to see for a long time — a wide, significant looking route, with higher quality landscaping along it's length, and no road crossing — something that links all the disparate parts for the parklands that are currently divided up by busy roads.
I can get behind that. Although, with Hyde spearheading the idea, I remain sceptical.

Totally agree re: the insufficiency of landscaping and inconvenience of road crossings for the parklands trails. There should be more treed avenues in the parks to provide legibility to routes as well as shade, and both Peacock and Rundle Roads should be closed.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#609 Post by SBD » Sun May 31, 2020 2:05 pm

Sounds like a good idea, but would be nice if it included the north parklands, and had the north bank of the Torrens as a shortcut, rather than the northern extent of the main trail.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#610 Post by SRW » Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 pm

Just for ref, here's the existing trail:
map-parklands-trail.jpg
Turns out the ochre colour is not applied to its full length, but it does traverse the northern parklands.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#611 Post by SBD » Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm

SRW wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 pm
map-parklands-trail.jpg

Turns out the ochre colour is not applied to its full length, but it does traverse the northern parklands.
The proposed new one appears to be different through the Botanic Garden, south parklands, West Terrace Cemetery and near Adelaide High School, as well as following the Torrens instead of going around North Adelaide.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#612 Post by floplo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:59 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm
SRW wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 pm
map-parklands-trail.jpg

The proposed new one appears to be different through the Botanic Garden, south parklands, West Terrace Cemetery and near Adelaide High School, as well as following the Torrens instead of going around North Adelaide.
I did cycle the existing one a couple years back when I moved to the city, and in parts it wasn't that easy to follow or well designated. Also with the proposal, in some parts it looks as if the route is crayoned in approximately rather than as anything looking like a final route (for example, I don't think they will leave our Veale Gardens in the southern parklands or cross through the Botanic gardens given the limited opening hours that has).

The Scooter Guy

#613 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:51 pm

Four options on the table for ailing Aquatic Centre

OPTION 1
Would cater for 1.3 million patrons per year.
Sverall size: 26,100sq m
Includes: 50m pool, spectator seating, learn to swim area, large leisure pool, large warm water pool, spa, sauna, steam room, large gym, 520 car parks, program rooms, creche, cafe and service areas.
Cost: $60.2 million

OPTION 2
Would cater for one million patrons
Overall size: 20,700sq m
Includes: 25m pool, learn to swim area, large leisure pool, large warm water pool, spa, sauna, steam room, gym, creche, cafe, program rooms, service area and 400 car parks.
Cost: 49.8 million

OPTION 3
Would cater for 714,000 patrons per year
Overall size: 15,200sq m
Includes: 25m pool, learn to swim area, leisure pool, warm water pool, spa, sauna, steam room, gymnasium, program rooms, creche, cafe, service areas and 286 car parks.
Cost: $38.6 million

OPTION 4
Would cater for 500,000 patrons per year
Overall size: 11,100sq m
Includes: 25m pool, toddler and learn to swim pool, small warm water pool, spa, gym, program rooms, children’s area cafe, service areas and 200 car parks.
Cost: $29.5 million

More: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 4MFuVT36Ig

For me, I pick OPTION 1!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

bits
Legendary Member!

#614 Post by bits » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:26 pm

Tea Tree Gully managed to build new a 50m pool, large warm water pool, toddlers pool and associated interactive water features, admin building, plant room, plant equipment, 3 water slides, change rooms - for $10 million in Dec 2010 on ~26,000sqm.

ACC is corrupt to suggest it would cost $60 million to do similar.

The Scooter Guy

#615 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:26 pm
Tea Tree Gully managed to build new a 50m pool, large warm water pool, toddlers pool and associated interactive water features, admin building, plant room, plant equipment, 3 water slides, change rooms - for $10 million in Dec 2010 on ~26,000sqm.

ACC is corrupt to suggest it would cost $60 million to do similar.
I remember the Gully Gusher water slide which was removed.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/