[COM] 52-66 King William Street | 65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jim_c500
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#61 Post by jim_c500 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:25 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:35 pm
Image from the article:

Nice building, but looks like the top three quarters have been sliced off...

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by Eurostar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm

I'd hate to think this will change the food court to an expensive one, its one of the last food courts in Rundle Mall I know of that you can still get a cheap lunch

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Jaymz » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm
I'd hate to think this will change the food court to an expensive one, its one of the last food courts in Rundle Mall I know of that you can still get a cheap lunch
Agreed! I love that food court the way it is.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#64 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:43 pm

That food court is one of the worst in Adelaide, I'm really glad to see it go. Good riddance.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Btw, developer has placed application on hold while the heritage council considers state rather than local protection for the Sands and McDougall building. Hopefully that means they're not challenging but intend to work with this rare Art Deco example. See article at InDaily: 'Another city heritage site under demolition threat'
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm
Btw, developer has placed application on hold while the heritage council considers state rather than local protection for the Sands and McDougall building. Hopefully that means they're not challenging but intend to work with this rare Art Deco example. See article at InDaily: 'Another city heritage site under demolition threat'
I wonder if this development went through a design review like most other big developments. Surely any heritage matters would have been brought up in these meetings.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:31 am

This needs to be a other 100m taller.
At the point where the current designs finish, have the same finish with curried edges inset all the way up.

SBD

#68 Post by SBD » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:38 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:31 am
At the point where the current designs finish, have the same finish with curried edges inset all the way up.
The developer might be happy to do that, if you offer a long-enough term contract to lease the extra 23 floors of office space. It will be interesting to see if businesses need larger floor spaces to maintain "social distance" over the next years, or if they reduce floor space by moving more office workers out to their own homes or smaller (cheaper) suburban branch offices. Building a large city office building at present would be taking a strong bet on option 1.

Nort

#69 Post by Nort » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:42 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:43 pm
That food court is one of the worst in Adelaide, I'm really glad to see it go. Good riddance.
It's often one of the busiest.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by Jaymz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:36 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:38 am
Mpol03 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:31 am
The developer might be happy to do that, if you offer a long-enough term contract to lease the extra 23 floors of office space. It will be interesting to see if businesses need larger floor spaces to maintain "social distance" over the next years, or if they reduce floor space by moving more office workers out to their own homes or smaller (cheaper) suburban branch offices. Building a large city office building at present would be taking a strong bet on option 1.
I read a small article in The Australian yesterday, about the % of workers back in the CBD for each capital city now, compared to pre-covid. Adelaide was ranked second most at 60%, Darwin was top at 61%. Unsurprisingly Melbourne was at 7%. Sydney 30%, Perth around 50%. Cant remember the other capitals off the top of my head.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#71 Post by rev » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:18 am

I wouldn't buy too much into the change in work place from office to home as being a permanent or long term thing.
It's a temporary measure as part of the over reaction in general. I mean, you should all have been covering your coughs and sneezes and washing your hands anyway, and minding your own and others personal space lol. Hand sanitizer isn't a new invention either.

I have quite a few friends who've been recalled to their offices weeks ago.

What might change is they'll probably start putting up those clear plastic screens between work spaces like you see in supermarket check outs now.

It will be business as usual within 12-18 months...for those businesses that survive when JobKeeper is pulled anyway. And that's when the economy will take a huge nose dive. Construction sector especially will feel it hard.

SBD

#72 Post by SBD » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:12 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:18 am
I wouldn't buy too much into the change in work place from office to home as being a permanent or long term thing.
It's a temporary measure as part of the over reaction in general. I mean, you should all have been covering your coughs and sneezes and washing your hands anyway, and minding your own and others personal space lol. Hand sanitizer isn't a new invention either.

I have quite a few friends who've been recalled to their offices weeks ago.

What might change is they'll probably start putting up those clear plastic screens between work spaces like you see in supermarket check outs now.

It will be business as usual within 12-18 months...for those businesses that survive when JobKeeper is pulled anyway. And that's when the economy will take a huge nose dive. Construction sector especially will feel it hard.
You could be right. I suspect that the realisation that our colleagues needed to be reminded to wash their hands might mean that hot desking becomes less popular. That would be a driver for needing more office space, even if it has a low occupation rate. Alternatively, a lot of people have discovered the benefits of working from home (no commute, flexibility to be around family, pets, garden watering etc). Disadvantages relate to whether your house has the appropriate space, and the shift form the employer to the employee providing the desk, computer, chair, cleaning, airconditioning, heating, security, etc. The next round of enterprise agreements that have previously "supported flexible working arrangements" might need to be more deliberate in not just "support" as a motherhood statement, but actually providing some of these services, or an allowance for home working. I now have experience of moving from an office to home, but I think it would be very different to be a new starter in an organisation and told to work from home, or even to go into the office and find it empty as your new colleagues are all at home.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#73 Post by SRW » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 pm

The minister refused today to intervene in the provisional listing of the Sands & McDougall building, meaning it will most likely accede to state heritage and be protected from demolition. Article from InDaily here:

'Minister tells developer: hands off threatened art deco building'

I'd like to think that this will force developers to give greater weight to protecting and incorporating local heritage items, but the success this time (versus the former State Bank building) probably has more to do with Art Deco having a dedicated fan base prepared to advocate.
Keep Adelaide Weird

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by wilkiebarkid » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm

This should be built on the old Trims site. Buy it from Kyren and build it there. At least the height and density there, would be welcomed.

Llessur2002

#75 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 pm
I'd like to think that this will force developers to give greater weight to protecting and incorporating local heritage items, but the success this time (versus the former State Bank building) probably has more to do with Art Deco having a dedicated fan base prepared to advocate.
The former State Bank building is a mess - not much more than a butchered facade. I suspect this played a role in its destruction being green-lighted.