[VIS] New inner-city stadium

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#166 Post by rev » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:35 am

citywatcher wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:23 pm
rev wrote:Who cares about the crows, their potential move has nothing to do with a new inner city stadium as a new inner city stadium isn't intended for use by AFL. The crows can move to another galaxy for all anyone cares about their plan to take over a public aquatic facility.
Former public aquatic facility now thanks to opinions like this

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
It's not like I was pointing out that where the crows, who play their code on an oval, pick to base them selves has nothing to do with a new RECTANGULAR inner city stadium.....No, I was instead helping making public policy decisions on our parklands. :lol:

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#167 Post by Alyx » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:45 pm

This vision is practically dead.

The Marshall government have committed $44 million to upgrading Memorial Drive (can anyone tell me where $44 million worth of work is depicted in the following renders?) and $45 million to bring Hindmarsh Stadium up to "contemporary elite sport standard".

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#168 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Alyx wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:45 pm
This vision is practically dead.

The Marshall government have committed $44 million to upgrading Memorial Drive (can anyone tell me where $44 million worth of work is depicted in the following renders?) and $45 million to bring Hindmarsh Stadium up to "contemporary elite sport standard".

The gov says the $44 million is funding: 'four new grandstands to increase seating capacity to 6000, event and function spaces, elite training and recovery facilities, digital infrastructure and improved access to Adelaide Oval.'

But I agree, a new arena would appear to out of contention with the investments in Hindmarsh and Memorial. Any 2022 election-swinging visions will probably be renouncements of already proposed or under development projects like the Women's & Children's and Aboriginal cultures centre.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#169 Post by cmet » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:10 pm

I think stage 2 memorial drive gets a pass mark, shame about Hindmarsh though

rev

#170 Post by rev » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:36 pm

cmet wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:10 pm
A pass for what?

Second rate tournaments of almost zero relevance?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#171 Post by Nathan » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:10 pm

I don't mind keep Hindmarsh, but this plan sceams "why spend on one great thing, when we can do two half-assed things!"

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#172 Post by cmet » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:35 pm

rev wrote:
cmet wrote:
A pass for what?

We recently got an ATP tour event yes?

rev

#173 Post by rev » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:01 am

cmet wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:35 pm
rev wrote:
cmet wrote:
A pass for what?

LOL, it's an ATP 250 event, the LOWEST tier of tournaments.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[VIS] New inner-city stadium

#174 Post by AndyWelsh » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Inner-city Adelaide stadium recommended in state sport blueprint - Sunday Mail Nov 15

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 7473ace719

“An inner-city stadium is back onto the agenda as the centrepiece of a 20-year State Government blueprint for sports facilities.

While the document does not give specific stadium details Sunday Mail has been told the latest version of the proposal would retain the 30,000 capacity and the takeover of Entertainment Centre events, while soccer would now be excluded. That means it would not need a pitch that elevates to become a roof for indoor events, helping bring the cost down from $1.3bn to $700m and likely involve a public-private partnership (PPP).”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#175 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 pm

What is even the point of a 30k seat inner city stadium that can't host soccer games (and by extension, all rectangular field sports)? What sports and concerts exactly do they think are going to keep the place financially viable? It's way too big for any of the court sports, they won't use it at all.

It sounds like something they've entirely made up to distract people from the fact they're wasting chump change polishing a dead end stadium at Hindmarsh and building some SAAFL grade terraces at memorial drive.

Algernon

#176 Post by Algernon » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:07 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:05 pm
Inner-city Adelaide stadium recommended in state sport blueprint - Sunday Mail Nov 15

“An inner-city stadium is back onto the agenda as the centrepiece of a 20-year State Government blueprint for sports facilities.

While the document does not give specific stadium details Sunday Mail has been told the latest version of the proposal would retain the 30,000 capacity and the takeover of Entertainment Centre events, while soccer would now be excluded. That means it would not need a pitch that elevates to become a roof for indoor events, helping bring the cost down from $1.3bn to $700m and likely involve a public-private partnership (PPP).”

Sounds like they pulled it out of their arses. A 30,000 capacity arena that doesn't accommodate any field sports. So, an arena for something like basketball with 10,000 extra capacity than the largest NBA arena (United arena), and 6,000 more than the largest tennis centre court (Arthur Ashe). :hilarious: Or, they are counting the capacity in "events mode" i.e. concerts, in which case some are occupying the arena floor in what is still basically the largest fucking arena in the world. Yep, cool story.

Also, Hindmarsh not accessible by pubic transport? You have a tram stop 500m walking distance from the stadium.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#177 Post by Bob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:07 am

And the joke continues with these pie in the sky, unworkable concepts – and that is very reason there is no proper plan of action. There is no single focus and there are too many conflicting self-interest groups.

The most practical solution still might be a properly rebuilt Memorial Drive for hardcourt sports and medium size concerts AND a separate stadium within a short walking distance of AO & MD for rectangular grass sports.

At this rate of procrastination and a different idea every month, nothing will come to fruition in a timely manner.

And without additional Federal funding from hosting the Commonwealth Games because SA pulled out of the bid process, this is going to take even longer.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:31 am

Bob wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:07 am
And the joke continues with these pie in the sky, unworkable concepts – and that is very reason there is no proper plan of action. There is no single focus and there are too many conflicting self-interest groups.

The most practical solution still might be a properly rebuilt Memorial Drive for hardcourt sports and medium size concerts AND a separate stadium within a short walking distance of AO & MD for rectangular grass sports.
100% agree with this. There needs to be a multipurpose arena for netball, basketball, tennis, etc, with a capacity of 10,000 - 15,0000. As much as I love soccer, the A-league seems to be on a death spiral currently and rugby (both varieties) just isn't held here regularly enough, meaning a rectangular city stadium at this point doesn't seem viable.

followthefish
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#179 Post by followthefish » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:53 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:05 pm

I’m sorry, but why? Surely of the $700m, $200 million could be put toward a proper indoor arena at Memorial Drive (including a new Next Gen, offices for Tennis SA) and then the remaining amount used for a 25,000 soccer stadium near the city.

Waewick

[VIS] [VIS] [VIS] [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#180 Post by Waewick » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:04 pm

rev wrote:
cmet wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:35 pm
rev wrote:
A pass for what?

LOL, it's an ATP 250 event, the LOWEST tier of

But there is nothing wrong with that, given the size of Adelaide.

What does the ranking go on? Prize money? Or just quality and amount of courts?