News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4741 Post by Spotto » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:26 pm

With disused infrastructure along the Gawler line being demolished with the electrification works, have the BG connections to 1Rail's Dry Creek north and south yards been severed as well? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Penrice Stony was the last BG freight train to use the Gawler line and the only other BG freight connections into Adelaide are the decaying remnants of the abandoned lines from Roseworthy to Kapunda, Balaklava and Burra last used in the 90s.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4742 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:10 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 am
adelaide transport wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:04 pm
Drove over Elizabeth Way bridge last week-no work whatsoever has started from Elizabeth Station heading North?
I feel like the bulk of the project will be done in two stages: Adelaide to Salisbury, then Salisbury to Gawler Central.
That was how the project first started.

Stage One (est cost. $152.5 Mill) between Adl - Salisbury and Was state government funded.
Stage Two (Est cost. $462.5 Mill) between Salisbury and GAWC was jointly funded by state and federal.

without the federal govt getting involved, only half the line wouldve been done.

My theory is that they are getting Stage One Done in 2020 and then Stage Two Done Next Year. It shows when according to Adelaide Metro's Gawler Line closures site that from April 2021 that between Adelaide and Mawson Lakes will be open and the rest of the line being shut. Same when Stage One includes shut down from Adelaide to Salisbury Until Xmas Day 2020 and then full line closures afterwards. Even after the July 2021 school holidays that between Salisbury and Gawler Central is shut and then Adelaide to Salisbury is open.

Kind of gives it away seeing as they have been working on between Adelaide and Salisbury all year this year.
Question is while they work on stage 2, will they use the electrics for stage 1, or keep to diesel until the new rolling stock rolls up

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4743 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:02 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:02 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:10 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 am

I feel like the bulk of the project will be done in two stages: Adelaide to Salisbury, then Salisbury to Gawler Central.
That was how the project first started.

Stage One (est cost. $152.5 Mill) between Adl - Salisbury and Was state government funded.
Stage Two (Est cost. $462.5 Mill) between Salisbury and GAWC was jointly funded by state and federal.

without the federal govt getting involved, only half the line wouldve been done.

My theory is that they are getting Stage One Done in 2020 and then Stage Two Done Next Year. It shows when according to Adelaide Metro's Gawler Line closures site that from April 2021 that between Adelaide and Mawson Lakes will be open and the rest of the line being shut. Same when Stage One includes shut down from Adelaide to Salisbury Until Xmas Day 2020 and then full line closures afterwards. Even after the July 2021 school holidays that between Salisbury and Gawler Central is shut and then Adelaide to Salisbury is open.

Kind of gives it away seeing as they have been working on between Adelaide and Salisbury all year this year.
Question is while they work on stage 2, will they use the electrics for stage 1, or keep to diesel until the new rolling stock rolls up
Put it this way. Stage one might be commissioned but highly doubt it because of the full line closures put in place for when they work on stage 2. They are working on stage 2 now. I've noticed the survey pegs out at the elizabeth turn back track. I hope they can actually connect that track up because its not properly connected.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4744 Post by Spotto » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:29 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:02 am
I've noticed the survey pegs out at the elizabeth turn back track. I hope they can actually connect that track up because its not properly connected.
The turnback is already fully connected for each direction of travel, it's just that the centre track extends a little north and south beyond the connecting points for some reason.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4745 Post by PD2/20 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:31 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:29 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
I've noticed the survey pegs out at the elizabeth turn back track. I hope they can actually connect that track up because its not properly connected.
The turnback is already fully connected for each direction of travel, it's just that the centre track extends a little north and south beyond the connecting points for some reason.
Jacob_UGL3 is correct in saying the Elizabeth turn back is not properly connected. When constructed in 2012 in early works for electrification the switches and point motors were installed. The signalling for the turn back would have been part of the electrification and reignalling that was cancelled in 2013. Subsequently all point motors were removed and the switches in the running tracks were replaced with plain rail, although the crossing frogs were left in place. This can be verified from aerial imagery online.

The extension of the centre track beyond the points is standard practice to prevent overrunning fouling the running tracks.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4746 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:55 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:31 pm
Spotto wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:29 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Jacob_UGL3 is correct in saying the Elizabeth turn back is not properly connected. When constructed in 2012 in early works for electrification the switches and point motors were installed. The signalling for the turn back would have been part of the electrification and reignalling that was cancelled in 2013. Subsequently all point motors were removed and the switches in the running tracks were replaced with plain rail, although the crossing frogs were left in place. This can be verified from aerial imagery online.

The extension of the centre track beyond the points is standard practice to prevent overrunning fouling the running tracks.
That could possibly be another reason why the project is now 100 million bucks more and is delayed longer, to fix what was not done 8 years ago.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4747 Post by Eurostar » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Seeing how Stage 1 will most likely be completed first, this will at least enable Seaford/Flinders EMUs to travel between Adelaide and Dry Creek Depot for servicing. Also testing the new sets and driver training could be done so between Dry Creek and Mawson Lakes.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4748 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:31 pm

How on earth is Stage 1 costing just under $200m given there's the ARTC line to contend with and Stage 2 is costing 2.5x times that where there's ample room for works? Makes no sense.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4749 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:32 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:31 pm
How on earth is Stage 1 costing just under $200m given there's the ARTC line to contend with and Stage 2 is costing 2.5x times that where there's ample room for works? Makes no sense.
Stage 1 Adelaide - Salisbury services would have been covered by the surplus electric fleet (4-5 units) from the Seaford electrification. About half of Stage 2 cost is the 12 additional units that are required for full service.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4750 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:12 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:32 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Stage 1 Adelaide - Salisbury services would have been covered by the surplus electric fleet (4-5 units) from the Seaford electrification. About half of Stage 2 cost is the 12 additional units that are required for full service.
Im pretty sure in that cost as well is replacing the existing masts to the steel masts.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4751 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:12 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Im pretty sure in that cost as well is replacing the existing masts to the steel masts.
I'd be surprised if the concrete masts are removed. Several years ago survey plates with track alignment details were attached to each of the concrete masts. This was one of the earliest signs that the electrification project was being restarted.

SBD

#4752 Post by SBD » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:12 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:01 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:12 pm
PD2/20 wrote:

I'd be surprised if the concrete masts are removed. Several years ago survey plates with track alignment details were attached to each of the concrete masts. This was one of the earliest signs that the electrification project was being restarted.
One of the bridges has to be removed in stage 2. I don't know if any of the other bridges (including Little Para and South Para rivers) present greater challenges than the stage 1 bridges.

[Shuz]

#4753 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:39 pm

That clears things up a little, especially the 12 new trains.

I would hope they are transferring some of the Gawler line fleet onto the Outer Harbour and Belair lines to increase frequency. Though I suspect Belair is almost at capacity with level crossing down times and single track line operation.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4754 Post by Spotto » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Did the promised third-seat removals on the diesel stock get done? Was announced back in May that COVID had advanced existing plans that would see the work done over June. Haven't been on the diesel lines at all this year so I have no idea.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4755 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Spotto wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:24 pm
Did the promised third-seat removals on the diesel stock get done? Was announced back in May that COVID had advanced existing plans that would see the work done over June. Haven't been on the diesel lines at all this year so I have no idea.
Yeah the third seat's been removed from the diesels