M1 South-Eastern Freeway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

M1 South-Eastern Freeway

#1 Post by Norman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 am

Not sure where else this has been posted, but the Crafers to Stirling section is currently being turned into a Managed Motorway, with new Lane Use Management and Variable Speed signs. There will also be an additional third lane for most of the section in both directions.

More information can be found on the project home page here: https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... edmotorway

There is also a fly-through video here: https://www.youtube.com/Vk8XS1M1tks

There may also be future upgrades later once the Hahndorf Access project gets going.

Here is the latest drive-through progress video of the Managed Motorway project: https://www.youtube.com/NOiLZOk7828

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: M1 South-Eastern Freeway

#2 Post by Eurostar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:04 pm

All well and good but in my opinion I think a third lane between Stirling and Mount Barker for eastbound
and a third lane between Mount Barker and Stirling for westbound is needed.

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by EBG » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:20 pm

How long doe it take to build 1 km of a free way lane ????????????? why are we doing 45 km/h when no one is working on it.?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:23 pm

EBG wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:20 pm
How long doe it take to build 1 km of a free way lane ????????????? why are we doing 45 km/h when no one is working on it.?
I'm not sure when you've been there, but it has always been 60km/h whenever I've driven past. The road surface is very undulating and lanes have been narrowed to accommodate the work zone.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:44 pm

All done by the looks of it, speed limit is 100 now on eastbound side.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:13 pm

Yes, all completed, towards Mount Barker the speed limit is 100 and towards Adelaide the speed limit is 90. Hopefully they can continue the project between Crafers and Glen Osmond in the near future.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:09 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:13 pm
Yes, all completed, towards Mount Barker the speed limit is 100 and towards Adelaide the speed limit is 90. Hopefully they can continue the project between Crafers and Glen Osmond in the near future.
Surely this would be next. It's been 20 years since it was built (feel so old) and now in need of an upgrade / revamp. Looking very tired.

Patrick_27

#8 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 am

crawf wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:09 am
Norman wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:13 pm
Surely this would be next. It's been 20 years since it was built (feel so old) and now in need of an upgrade / revamp. Looking very tired.
There has been so much focus on the N/S Motorway that the S/E Freeway has been neglected for years, it would seem that the South Australian government are not capable of handling more than one large scale freeway project at a time. As a frequent user of the S/E Freeway, a few things I can say that need doing:

- Road resurfacing on the up and down track between Crafers and the Toll Gate;
- Upgraded lighting along the same stretch;
- Reenforcing the sections of the adjoining bike track (why they used timber slats, I'll never understand...)
- Construction of a down track exit and up track entry to Hahndorf;
- Widening to create three lanes in each direction to and from Mount Barker (including the up track section around Crafers they left in this most recent upgrade);
- Tidying up or complete removal of vegetation along the central median strip entirely (way too many low hanging gum trees past Stirling);
- Concrete barricades to replace the ageing steel barricades in the median strip past Stirling.

Easily $300-500m worth of projects there but they are sorely needed and seeing as buses and private vehicles are the only options of transport from the Ranges to metropolitan Adelaide, I'm surprised they've left it so long and chosen to only dabble in some of what needs to be done.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by rogue » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:42 am

Resurfacing contracts for the section between Toll Gate and Crafers have been awarded. Expect onsite activity in the next 2-3 weeks.

Patrick_27

#10 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:44 pm

rogue wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:42 am
Resurfacing contracts for the section between Toll Gate and Crafers have been awarded. Expect onsite activity in the next 2-3 weeks.
Thank God! You know it's bad when you can see vegetation growing through the road surface. Another point I forgot to include was building a third emergency arrester bed where the old bus stop is just before the toll-gate, the space is there and it wouldn't cost that much to have that last contingency there for trucks that realise after the last stretch of freeway that their breaks are gone.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by dsriggs » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 pm

Heysen Tunnels getting an upgrade:

claybro

#12 Post by claybro » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:33 am

Aside for the lining repairs (is it that critical?) the other stuff is just bells and whistles on what is already a highly engineered very short tunnel. I would have thought there were more pressing road projects to address.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#13 Post by alexczarn » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:32 pm

I thought that was already underway...

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:38 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:33 am
Aside for the lining repairs (is it that critical?) the other stuff is just bells and whistles on what is already a highly engineered very short tunnel. I would have thought there were more pressing road projects to address.
Can't help but agree.

How often are the tunnels closed that boom gates are necessary? Is the current lighting at the end of its useful life, or is there a significant reduction in operating costs by switching to LED lights? If there are variable message boards at the entry and exit of the tunnel, why do intermediate VMBs need to be installed in the tunnel?

Seems like a lot of bells a whistles..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

SBD

#15 Post by SBD » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:17 am

What do the artists know that hasn't been released yet?

The video has three lanes of cars all travelling at about 90km/h. When was the last time a camera could be operating for two and a half minutes without seeing a heavy vehicle in the left lane with a lower speed limit?

Surely the video would be more interesting to show slow trucks and the dynamic traffic management showing a lower speed limit in the left lane.