I hope everyone is travelling well and getting through this.

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: I hope everyone is travelling well and getting through this.

#91 Post by rev » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:37 am

Still no solid counter argument, just sly personal attacks.

Yes, I believe I'm correct in saying that quarantine should not be in our major urban centres, but in more remote locations.
-Even experts agree on this.

Yes, I don't believe that it will be as difficult or impossible as for example SBD thinks.
-Even experts agree it will be challenging, but it can be done.

Yes, most of the cleaners and security who were/are staffing the quarantine hotels are from the Indian sub-continent.
-It's a fact.
-It's also a fact the people photographed and video doing the wrong thing, such as sleeping on duty, not wearing PPE, were...you guessed it, from the Indian sub-continent. Hence the reference in that post. But it takes a special kind of unstable troll to take something that far out of context and turn it into something it isn't.

-It's also a fact that others have made remarks about that group of people recently, and you did not call them racists. So again, you're just selectively trolling.

Oooh look I can make words bold too. :lol:

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#92 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:08 pm

For those that don't understand what quarantine means. Here's a short explanation on when and where the term "quarantine" was first used and why. The quote is from the CDC, USA.
The practice of quarantine, as we know it, began during the 14th century in an effort to protect coastal cities from plague epidemics. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing.
By the way, quaranta the root word of quarantine means 40 in Italian.

Also Venice had an island purposely set aside for those who were stricken with an infectious disease. So, if those in medieval times and even earlier (Biblical times) could manage things in a smarter way, why can''t we?

Cheers

P.S. We used to have a quarantine station on Torrens Island. Perhaps we need to resurrect something similar.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SBD

#93 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:08 pm
For those that don't understand what quarantine means. Here's a short explanation on when and where the term "quarantine" was first used and why. The quote is from the CDC, USA.
The practice of quarantine, as we know it, began during the 14th century in an effort to protect coastal cities from plague epidemics. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing.
By the way, quaranta the root word of quarantine means 40 in Italian.

Also Venice had an island purposely set aside for those who were stricken with an infectious disease. So, if those in medieval times and even earlier (Biblical times) could manage things in a smarter way, why can''t we?

Cheers

P.S. We used to have a quarantine station on Torrens Island. Perhaps we need to resurrect something similar.
What happened during and after the 40 days? Were the ships expected to bring 40 days worth of supplies, and at the end of that time, everyone on board had either died or recovered (with immunity) from the plague? Were sick and well people separated or was the assumption that everyone would be sick, and that was OK? These days we try to keep the healthy people healthy.

Is there much vacant land left higher than the mangrove forest between Origin's Quarantine Power Station and AGL's Torrens Island and Barker Inlet power stations?

I guess the problem for the last twelve months and ongoing is to work out how much is reasonable to spend on (near-)permanent quarantine facilities. The hotel system used existing infrastructure that was temporarily under-used, and provided an income stream for the operators and their staff who otherwise would be laid off while no business or tourist travel was happening. Now, we have vaccines being rolled out around the world, so we can assume that this pandemic will come to an end and no longer require such arrangements in Australia. Now we get to decide if it is still worth building new facilities for this pandemic, and what to do with them when it's over to keep them available for any future events.

Nort

#94 Post by Nort » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:37 am
Counter-argument against what? You asked for specific examples, I gave them.

If quoting your own words is a personal attack, then maybe you should consider your words.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#95 Post by rev » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm
rev wrote:

If quoting your own words is a personal attack, then maybe you should consider your words.
Counter argument against what he says? Exactly. You're not here to actually debate a topic of conversation, you're here merely troll and try stir shit.

I've responded to every counter by SBD, who says it wont be easy, and I don't disagree but I also think it's doable and not as hard as he may think considering the base infrastructure is already there. It's been a year now, it could have all been brought up to a higher standard and staffed by the ADF and private agency nurses (for example, who are paid higher then public nurses - I'm sure you know all that though, right? lol yeh right)

What's your counter to that? Nothing.

I'm saying it's stupid to continue to quarantine people infected with a highly contagious virus in hotels in the middle of our cities when the protocols in place continue to fail and we continue to see lockdowns imposed and state/territory borders closed. My opinion is to move it to more remote locations out of city centres.

Maybe you did provide a counter, who knows and I certainly don't give a shit to go back and re-read the garbage you post.

back to ignoring the troll.

Nort

#96 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 am

rev wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:19 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm
rev wrote:

Counter argument against what he says? Exactly. You're not here to actually debate a topic of conversation, you're here merely troll and try stir shit.

I've responded to every counter by SBD, who says it wont be easy, and I don't disagree but I also think it's doable and not as hard as he may think considering the base infrastructure is already there. It's been a year now, it could have all been brought up to a higher standard and staffed by the ADF and private agency nurses (for example, who are paid higher then public nurses - I'm sure you know all that though, right? lol yeh right)

I'm saying it's stupid to continue to quarantine people infected with a highly contagious virus in hotels in the middle of our cities when the protocols in place continue to fail and we continue to see lockdowns imposed and state/territory borders closed. My opinion is to move it to more remote locations out of city centres.

Maybe you did provide a counter, who knows and I certainly don't give a shit to go back and re-read the garbage you post.

back to ignoring the troll.
:lol:

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by HiTouch » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:35 pm

rev wrote:

Yes, I believe I'm correct in saying that quarantine should not be in our major urban centres, but in more remote locations.
-Even experts agree on this.

Yes, I don't believe that it will be as difficult or impossible as for example SBD thinks.
-Even experts agree it will be challenging, but it can be done.

Yes, most of the cleaners and security who were/are staffing the quarantine hotels are from the Indian sub-continent.
-It's a fact.
-It's also a fact the people photographed and video doing the wrong thing, such as sleeping on duty, not wearing PPE, were...you guessed it, from the Indian sub-continent. Hence the reference in that post. But it takes a special kind of unstable troll to take something that far out of context and turn it into something it isn't.

-It's also a fact that others have made remarks about that group of people recently, and you did not call them racists. So again, you're just selectively trolling.

Oooh look I can make words bold too. :lol:
Stop calling everyone trolls rev, you're the most covert troll on this forum.