New City Arena

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: New City Arena

#76 Post by rev » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:39 am

https://www.facebook.com/AmbulanceEmplo ... 716355050/
https://www.facebook.com/AmbulanceEmplo ... 947087061/

Sorry to hijack the thread, but someone asked why people are opposed to the stadium proposal.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#77 Post by citywatcher » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:06 am

Yes it's true
While we have all these other issues an inadequate stadium , in the wrong place costing $700m. that it suddenly pulls out of it's arse near election time when it has skimped out and poo pooed other more needed projects in the meantime is pathetic but so predictable.
Right hand tram turn anyone?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#78 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:41 pm

Seeing the picture about only one bariatric ambulance made me go and check.

There had been two since 2008, and initially saw little demand. The demand had been increasing, and in 2016, one of them was rolled on Port Wakefield Road in the small hours of the morning. I assume the reason there is only one now is that the rolled one was damaged beyond reasonable repair. I don't know why it has not been replaced as the demand for its services has been increasing.

The driver was 9.5 hours into his 11th shift in 12 hours. He claimed he was alert, and was subsequently diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea. After he was acquitted of causing death by dangerous driving, the Ambulance Employees Association spokesman said paramedics constantly face the struggle of fatigue.

Sources:

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#79 Post by Furyan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:49 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:20 pm
Furyan wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:53 pm
It seems this proposal is what I suggested in another thread late last year. Except I also suggested where a rectangular stadium may go as well.
I believe the idea of putting a new rectangular stadium over the rail yard next to the new arena has been around for longer than that. IIRC the idea was mooted near the end of Labor’s last term but the numbers didn’t stack up; go figure.
What I actually suggested was if a 30k stadium was not suitable for the railyards site they should build a 15k instead and build a rectangular one on the West End Brewery site.
My main point on that post was if all the suitable land close to the CBD gets sold off we may be building a rectangular stadium out at West Lakes. lol

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:26 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:11 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:55 am
claybro wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:24 pm
Perth entertainment and sport locations are a mess. Football stadium.. too far from the CBD hub. Concert hall at one end , convention centre stuck somewhere else sandwiched on a freeway off ramp. Adelaide is so fortunate to have this cluster of venues in a centralised spot ( to each other) I just don't know why this proposal is copping so much hate, much of it would seem political.
Agreed. This looks like it'll be a fantastic venue, and a massive upgrade on what the Entertainment Centre can currently offer.

There may need to be something to replace the Entertainment Centre Theatre for smaller shows, but I would think most of those type of shows could be integrated into the existing Convention Centre spaces.

Some of the comments bagging the proposal are borderline Adelaide Now comments.
It's called Thebarton Theatre, and it was doing just fine managing those mid-tier shows until the state government at the time built a new venue that wasn't actually required and simply split what tours did come here between Thebby and AEC Theatre, rather than attract more. What really bugs me about this discussion is that this proposal has been put together by the state government, the business heads of Adelaide Venue Management and an architect firm; the likelihood that they actually consulted with industry experts re: what would be required for a world class sporting facility or better yet a world class music/entertainment facility is probably nil. The same can be said of the last upgrade they underwent at the Entertainment Centre, it was literally lipstick on a pig, the venue still sucked from a back of house, tech, concert experience perspective which is why it had no sway in bringing artists to town, or punters to concerts (obviously other factors involved in this, but speaking purely about AEC here). If we want to consider the 'success' of AVM and their understanding of what is required for these things, lets look at Hindmarsh Stadium... They took over the management of the venue, spent what infrastructure spending they were provided on unnecessary, and subsequently mediocre amenities; leased off the naming rights to Coopers and with the proceeds going towards replacing the blue chairs across the stadium with red chairs? They also increased how many concerts/events were staged there without any consideration of how close these were to match day and what impact they would have on the playing surface.
Thebarton Theatre is a dive and either needs new management and a massive upgrade, or demolition. If Weslo aren't willing to make an effort to make Thebarton Theatre attractive to patrons or promoters that's on them.

Patrick_27

#81 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:26 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
It's called Thebarton Theatre, and it was doing just fine managing those mid-tier shows until the state government at the time built a new venue that wasn't actually required and simply split what tours did come here between Thebby and AEC Theatre, rather than attract more. What really bugs me about this discussion is that this proposal has been put together by the state government, the business heads of Adelaide Venue Management and an architect firm; the likelihood that they actually consulted with industry experts re: what would be required for a world class sporting facility or better yet a world class music/entertainment facility is probably nil. The same can be said of the last upgrade they underwent at the Entertainment Centre, it was literally lipstick on a pig, the venue still sucked from a back of house, tech, concert experience perspective which is why it had no sway in bringing artists to town, or punters to concerts (obviously other factors involved in this, but speaking purely about AEC here). If we want to consider the 'success' of AVM and their understanding of what is required for these things, lets look at Hindmarsh Stadium... They took over the management of the venue, spent what infrastructure spending they were provided on unnecessary, and subsequently mediocre amenities; leased off the naming rights to Coopers and with the proceeds going towards replacing the blue chairs across the stadium with red chairs? They also increased how many concerts/events were staged there without any consideration of how close these were to match day and what impact they would have on the playing surface.
Thebarton Theatre is a dive and either needs new management and a massive upgrade, or demolition. If Weslo aren't willing to make an effort to make Thebarton Theatre attractive to patrons or promoters that's on them.
No disrespect, but your comment is that of someone who doesn't work in the industry. Thebby is still regarded to be one of the best live music venues of its size (2,500 capacity) in the country; I agree there are certain ammenities that Weslo need to put some money into (toilets, FOH and the facade) and I also agree that the theatre would be better off under different management (mostly in terms of their bookings) but the theatre itself, the stage, back of house etc is second to none.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:04 pm

I believe the Thebarton Theatre recently got a few million ($4.5m?) to upgrade their facilities. I haven't been there for years, so I don't know what the current facilities are like.

There are other venues in Adelaide that are much more run down, such as the Royalty Theatre and the Arts Theatre on Angas Street. They should also attract some new funding to bring them up to scratch.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
No disrespect, but your comment is that of someone who doesn't work in the industry. Thebby is still regarded to be one of the best live music venues of its size (2,500 capacity) in the country; I agree there are certain ammenities that Weslo need to put some money into (toilets, FOH and the facade) and I also agree that the theatre would be better off under different management (mostly in terms of their bookings) but the theatre itself, the stage, back of house etc is second to none.
No point having excellent back of house facilities if the front of house facilities are so dilapidated it deters people from seeing shows there. Not to mention the stench that permeates the theatre itself.

It's akin to Football Park in it's final years - the playing surface was fantastic but the facilities were outdated and in decline, deterring people from attending matches.

Patrick_27

#84 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:

No point having excellent back of house facilities if the front of house facilities are so dilapidated it deters people from seeing shows there. Not to mention the stench that permeates the theatre itself.

It's akin to Football Park in it's final years - the playing surface was fantastic but the facilities were outdated and in decline, deterring people from attending matches.
You are joking, right? I don't know a single person that wouldn't attend a show at Thebby because the 'facilities weren't up to standard'... For the most part it's a live music venue, it's not a concert hall or opera house attended by the high-brow types of Adelaide. If you think that having the flashiest and cleanest venue is what attracts the sorts of punters that go to Thebby to see a show, then you clearly haven't been there for a very long time, you don't know the market that the acts they book attract and you haven't seen much elsewhere in Australia and the world in terms of the equivalent venues other places have to offer (small hint, much the same as Thebby). Back of house is the most important thing, it's why there is a massive groan from people in the live music industry every time a show is put on at AEC Theatre vs. Thebby, because the sound is shit at the former. The same reason people would rather see a show at The Gov over the new (recently closed HQ). You comparison to Football Park is completely irrelevant in this topic of discussion. Ultimately, Thebby's 'decline' has come from bad management presiding over an unnecessary change (or saturation, rather) in the market with the introduction of AEC Theatre.

rev

#85 Post by rev » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:11 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
Better management that hasn't gone bankrupt multiple times, whose company hasn't been in debt over unpaid tax, and hasn't had their council rates in arrears.
I'm not sure how the whole thing works, who owns the building, does the Weslo company have a lease to operate it or what.
But perhaps if the local council owns the building?, they could look at bringing in a company who could manage Thebby as a venue a lot better then Weslo does? Perhaps a company that is willing to invest (from their own pocket or through their investors/backers or in combination with the council/gov) in rehabilitating the venue as a whole.

Algernon

#86 Post by Algernon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 pm

This is the most Adelaide thread on the Internet right now

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#87 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:46 pm

Algernon wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 pm
Thank you. There are so many children on this site, especially the 'LPDS' crowd.

Patrick_27

#88 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:52 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:11 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:

Better management that hasn't gone bankrupt multiple times, whose company hasn't been in debt over unpaid tax, and hasn't had their council rates in arrears.
I'm not sure how the whole thing works, who owns the building, does the Weslo company have a lease to operate it or what.
But perhaps if the local council owns the building?, they could look at bringing in a company who could manage Thebby as a venue a lot better then Weslo does? Perhaps a company that is willing to invest (from their own pocket or through their investors/backers or in combination with the council/gov) in rehabilitating the venue as a whole.
From recollection, the council do still own the building/site and it's on some kind of lease arrangement, which is how the grant money for upgrades (mentioned above by someone) was sorted. I'm normally the biggest opponent of LiveNation because of the dirty business tactics and monopolisation they go about elsewhere, but if the West Torrens Council could present them with a solid business case for the building (wouldn't be hard, albeit local governments have a habit of fucking these things up) I could see LiveNation doing good things for this building in terms of bringing a higher calibre of mid-tier acts and more regularly to Adelaide and doing the necessary upgrades (see their work with the Palais Theatre in St Kilda, Melbourne and what they've done there in collaboration with the Victorian government and City of Port Phillip) however whilst the state government own the AEC Theatre, I expect their refusal to take part in any such venture. Just a further two cents on that.
Algernon wrote:
What, because we're having a discussion on something?

Patrick_27

#89 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:56 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:46 pm
Algernon wrote:
Thank you. There are so many children on this site, especially the 'LPDS' crowd.
Seriously? So, we're children because we have differing opinions and we're facing them off against each other... At-least our conversation brings some value to the broader discussion on this thread unlike these two unnecessary comments loaded with b/s. Wise bit of advice that been been said to me before on this forum, if you don't have anything other than snide commentary to add, then perhaps don't contribute at all?

rev

#90 Post by rev » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Labor have pledged to scrap this and redirect funding to health care.

Got my vote on this policy alone. Priorities.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do tge Memorial Drive upgrade instead. We can have better health care and a new arena without spending 3 quarters of a billion on an arena alone.