Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#3286 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:41 am
Not forgetting the increased popularity of home delivery. Not everyone needs a car to do their weekly shop any more.

I live in Croydon and as a family we use the train loads (plus bikes where possible). We have one car and probably only do 5-7,000km in that every year. It's perfectly possible to rely heavily on PT if you live near enough to it which, as cmet touched on above, is can be a problem in Adelaide.

As I've said before, I think type of PT is important too - I suspect people living near tram and train routes will be more inclined to use it. I'd probably use the car a lot more if we were only served by buses. I would suspect the AdeLINK tram network would have increased patronage significantly - especially as more and more amenities were built near tram stops. I hope it resurfaces in some form in the future.
I can't think of a supermarket anywhere along the Gawler railway line that I would consider convenient to access to do shopping by train, even if I lived across the street from a station. We have walked to the (local smaller) Woolworths with a "nanna trolley" to get exercise and mental health at the same time, but I can't imagine either of us doing that with a train or bus journey in the middle.

The Scooter Guy

#3287 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:16 pm

Found a souvenir pin of the Adelaide Aquatic Centre from the 1990s on eBay!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3288 Post by rev » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:36 pm

Did you buy it Scooter Guy?

That wasn't a bad looking logo.

The Scooter Guy

#3289 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:36 pm
Did you buy it Scooter Guy?

That wasn't a bad looking logo.
Wouldn't even bother.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#3290 Post by Jaymz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:36 pm

Take what you like from these types of rankings, but I still thought it was post-worthy. As usual Australian cities fared very well. From todays online version of The Advertiser....
Adelaide named third most liveable city in the world by The Economist
Adelaide has been ranked third most liveable city in the world. Thanks for the reminder!

Miles Kemp
and
Kathryn Bermingham
June 9, 2021 - 3:58PM

The Economist has reminded Adelaideans of what they have long known to be true; that we live in one of the world’s great cities.

In the organisation’s 2021 rankings Adelaide was beaten to best spot for “liveability” only by near neighbour Auckland and in second place, Osaka.

The SA capital easily beat Australian rivals because of a strong Covid-19 response. Melbourne dropped from second to equal eighth, Perth sixth, Brisbane tenth and Sydney eleventh.

The system compares 140 cities according to stability, healthcare, education, culture and environment, and infrastructure.

A major factor for the latest rankings was Covid-19 safety responses within the “healthcare” category, credited in the report for lifting Auckland from sixth to first place.

The report also praised the SA response: “In third place is Adelaide in Australia, which also imposed a ban on international travel”.

Adelaide scored lower only for “culture and environment”; 83.8 out of 100, but highly for stability (95), healthcare (100), education (100), and infrastructure (100).

Melbourne dropped because of a series of Covid-19 outbreaks and the response, which garnered an 83.3 score for healthcare.

The list was postponed in 2020 but in 2019 Adelaide was ranked tenth behind Melbourne, second and Sydney, third.

In 2018 Adelaide was also tenth.

The ranking was welcomed by leaders within the state, including Premier Steven Marshall.

“I think we’ve done a great job overall with the coronavirus; we’re the safest state in the safest continent and now we’re being recognised by The Economist,” he said.

“I think that everyone appreciates we’ve got a wonderful lifestyle, a very safe, sustainable lifestyle here, and that’s now being recognised right around the world.”

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor agreed South Australians enjoy a quality of life that is unimaginable in other parts of the world.

“Our city is full of life, with our world-renowned festivals, arts, sport and culture safely going ahead, and our bars and restaurants open for business,” she said.

Daniel Gannon, SA executive director of the Property Council of Australia, said Adelaide’s recognition was “hardly a surprise”, and the state should now focus on the future.

“Throughout the pandemic our state has built a new reputation focused on resilience, safety and wellbeing, which is leading to an increase in attention, population and investment,” he said.

“One area of policy focus should now be attracting international students back to Adelaide to ensure South Australia’s export market remains as strong as possible.”

The Scooter Guy

#3291 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 pm

Finally bought that Adelaide Aquatic Centre novelty pin.
I just couldn't resist!

Nort

#3292 Post by Nort » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Daniel Gannon, SA executive director of the Property Council of Australia, said Adelaide’s recognition was “hardly a surprise”, and the state should now focus on the future.

“Throughout the pandemic our state has built a new reputation focused on resilience, safety and wellbeing, which is leading to an increase in attention, population and investment,” he said.

“One area of policy focus should now be attracting international students back to Adelaide to ensure South Australia’s export market remains as strong as possible.”
He's not wrong, but it's funny seeing him try to put a spin on it that isn't "we need someone to pay for all this student accommodation we're building"

WildestPotato
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3293 Post by WildestPotato » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:33 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:17 pm
Xaragmata wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:17 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 pm
There was never a cinema in Parc Arcade... Don't know where you heard that.
The cinema was in the basement of the building - from memory, it was the Regent 3 - or part of the Regent cinemas. We went to see a movie there years ago, only to find it had been closed for some time.
I'm speaking as someone who has worked in the cinema industry for quite a few years and also has a hobby of archiving everything in regards historic cinemas of Adelaide, there was never cinema below that arcade. Regent 1 and 2 were both in a singular shell (still existent) attached to the Regent Arcade (common knowledge), and Regent 3 was the original cinema previously occupied by Globalize etc - I believe that closed a few years before Regent 1 and 2 because of its size. It doesn't make any sense why would Hoyts Regent have a cinema nearly 200m away from their other cinemas. All of that said, I'm more than happy to stand corrected on this if anyone has anything other than hearsay on this... In fact, it would make my hobby far more interesting.

I created an account just to tell you, you are wrong. I was down there last night and there most certainly is a cinema, along with a pump room, workshops, old signage from Lincraft, Johnson Fabric remains and all sorts.
Last edited by WildestPotato on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildestPotato
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3294 Post by WildestPotato » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Ben wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:51 am
Lower ground hey. Where is the access to this?

Sounds like a great place for a Halloween event...
It’s scary as balls down there, I couldn’t imagine being there alone.

The Scooter Guy

#3295 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 pm

WildestPotato wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:42 pm
Ben wrote:

Is that the old Lincraft in the second photo?

WildestPotato
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3296 Post by WildestPotato » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:38 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 pm
WildestPotato wrote:
Ben wrote:

I believe it could be part of it, that second previous picture is adjacent to it, further off into the dark in that photo is the cinema, it’s got a temporary wooden floor covering it.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3297 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 pm

WildestPotato wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:38 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
WildestPotato wrote:

I believe it could be part of it, that second previous picture is adjacent to it, further off into the dark in that photo is the cinema, it’s got a temporary wooden floor covering it.

Were you able to take a photo of the said floor covering it? Trying to visualise what you mean

WildestPotato
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3298 Post by WildestPotato » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:17 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 pm
WildestPotato wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:38 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:

Were you able to take a photo of the said floor covering it? Trying to visualise what you mean
I did not take any of the floor covering from above sorry, but I do have a few shots from in the cinema space below, I have also attached a few more I took, will take one of the floor covering from above if I go back down there!

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3299 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:27 pm

WildestPotato wrote:
Ben wrote:

Incredible - thank you!

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#3300 Post by cmet » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:51 pm

This is the sort of content we need around here!