News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#766 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:35 pm

Smithy84 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:35 pm
Hopefully that Travelodge ends up happening.. otherwise there isn’t a whole lot between Waymouth and Franklin Street from memory?
Agreed, hope that ends up going ahead. Though there's scope for the buildings on the west side of the street to be better activated -- particularly Franklin Apartments, whose ground floor rooms could easily be converted to bars/retail.

Also, aside Pitt Street, Bank Street really needs to be revisited. It's a mess. Leigh Street is basically fine but suffers from a lack of maintenance.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#767 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:37 pm

Bank Street was better before the redevelopment than it is currently. They really need to go back to square one and revisit it.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#768 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:50 pm

[quote="[Shuz]"Bank Street was better before the redevelopment than it is currently. They really need to go back to square one and revisit it.[/quote]There are a few things to fix it, some quick and easy:

- Ban cars permanently.
- Invite some new or different businesses for better passive surveillance.
- A parapet for protection against those spitting air conditioner units.
- More trees.
- New paving that is a lighter, less 'grimy' colour.
- On weekends, a more active police presence.

I agree that Leigh Street is great, but the whole surface needs rebuilding.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#769 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:40 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:37 pm
Bank Street was better before the redevelopment than it is currently. They really need to go back to square one and revisit it.
I couldn't disagree more. The new Bank Street isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than what we had before.

Web capture_8-2-2022_7387_www.google.com.au.jpeg

I also doubt the number of new bars and businesses would have established without the redevelopment.

[Shuz]

#770 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:59 am

Not when it looked like that, when it had those parklet things.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#771 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:59 am
The parklets were notorious for being full of rubbish and people urinating in them. I personally never used them.

The removable tables and stone bollards do a much better job these days in my opinion..

Llessur2002

#772 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:31 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Not when it looked like that, when it had those on-street urinals.
Fixed it for you.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#773 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:05 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 am
[Shuz] wrote:
The parklets were notorious for being full of rubbish and people urinating in them. I personally never used them.

The removable tables and stone bollards do a much better job these days in my opinion..
Although the urine and rubbish remain, which is a persistent council maintenance issue.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#774 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:54 pm

Recent façade and lighting upgrade to Adelaide Railway Station is complete:
The new lighting design was developed by international lighting and audio-visual design studio, FPOV, which was engaged to highlight the inherent grandeur of the building and generate a heightened level of ambience using the latest in lighting technology. The project was delivered by Built and SKS Technologies.

FPOV Studio Director Ingrid Baldwin said harsh floodlighting had previously meant the intrinsic elegance of the station had been overlooked.

“When we partnered with Renewal SA our overall aim was to help reconnect people to the space around them and give them pause to look up and take in the gorgeous architectural features, possibly for the very first time,” Ms Baldwin said.

“We also wanted to improve the night-time appearance of the station and underscore its magnificent scale and volume, something which is easy to overlook in an increasingly built-up environment.

“We hope our design will transform what has largely been a functional space into more of an experience, one that is welcoming, surprising, even enchanting… and that helps people identify with the built form around them and feel a sense of civic pride when they spend time in the precinct.”

To better understand the station’s story and architectural significance, the FPOV team liaised with Heritage SA and took the time to immerse themselves in and around the station at various times during the day and night.

This allowed them to experiment with different lighting temperatures and effects, as well as identify external sources of lighting interference from surrounding buildings to help inform a final lighting design that would hold its own amid the bright lights of North Terrace.

“We have introduced a warm, white, ambient light that is low-glare and that complements the station’s sandstone render,” Ms Baldwin said.

“Importantly we have endeavoured to create contrast through shadow and relief, rather than an over-abundance of light, and use this approach to draw the eye to the most remarkable features of the building. Often it’s what you don’t light up that matters most.”

The architectural lighting project formed part of Renewal SA’s vision to uplift the station and surrounding public realm through extensive restoration works and the creation of new retail and dining experiences reminiscent of the station’s heyday.
Would love to see this approach carried over to other monuments and streetscapes, particularly Parliament and Hindley/Rundle Mall.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#775 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:02 pm

Two very quick ones.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#776 Post by Cryptic » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:51 pm

[Shuz]

#777 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:53 am

What an absolutely unnecessary waste of money. There is literally nothing wrong with that laneway and I can think of at least 20 others that need improvement...

What is the ACC thinking!?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#778 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:36 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:53 am
What an absolutely unnecessary waste of money. There is literally nothing wrong with that laneway and I can think of at least 20 others that need improvement...

It is something of sop to East End traders following the RAH closure, but the laneway was piss-soaked and crumbling. It definitely needed redoing.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#779 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:55 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:53 am

Paxton's Walk was an abomination of a laneway that was in dire need of a rethink, especially as it directly connects Rundle St to the tram stop and Lot 14.
All the "ground floor" tenancies being vacant isn't by chance.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#780 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:02 pm

https://citymag.indaily.com.au/happenin ... -scooters/
ON YA BIKE (LANE)
Later on Tuesday, elected members approved the council’s 2022-23 financial year’s procurement activities. These are activities estimated to be equal to or above $2 million and require council support.

One of three activities was allocating $2 million to complete the final piece of the city’s north-south bikeway puzzle.

The Adelaide City Council said in 2018 that it was unable to build the final section – from Rundle Street to North Terrace – until the construction of a 36-storey hotel complex, the Adelaidean, was finished.

The construction work is now completed and the new funding, according to council documents, would be used to secure a tender this November to build the leg.

The council will go to market later this year to commence the project, with activities spanning a streetscape upgrade including footpath and stormwater works.

It will also construct the new separated bikeway along the section.

For nearly a decade, the City of Adelaide and State Government have committed funds to build two separate bikeways – north-south and east-west – through the city and Adelaide Park Lands.

The Frome Street cycleway has been the subject of controversy since it opened in 2014, with parts of the route ripped up in 2017 to accommodate peak hour traffic.

It was redesigned in 2019.

In 2021 the Adelaide City Council scrapped the proposed route for the east-west cycleway, leaving the final cycleway and funding in limbo.