Federal election 2022

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who are you voting for in the 2022 Australian Federal Election

Liberal
13%
Labor
34%
Greens
28%
One Nation
9%
Nationals
No votes
Australia United
No votes
Independant
16%

Total votes: 32

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Federal election 2022

#151 Post by SBD » Fri May 27, 2022 10:29 pm

So a lot of people are voting Greens as well.

Have the Greens moved to a Centrist position, or are they still shit-bat (the left-wing equivalent to bat-shit) crazy?

I tried looking at preference distributions for a number of state lower house seats, and there seemed to be quite significant preference flows that bypassed Liberal and Labor and went (either way depending on seat) between Greens and UAP/PHON.

That suggested to me that people were voting for "none of the above" as far as the entrenched major parties go, more than they cared whether their preference went left or right,

Nort

#152 Post by Nort » Sat May 28, 2022 12:57 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:29 pm

Have the Greens moved to a Centrist position, or are they still shit-bat (the left-wing equivalent to bat-shit) crazy?

I tried looking at preference distributions for a number of state lower house seats, and there seemed to be quite significant preference flows that bypassed Liberal and Labor and went (either way depending on seat) between Greens and UAP/PHON.

That suggested to me that people were voting for "none of the above" as far as the entrenched major parties go, more than they cared whether their preference went left or right,
Some Greens policies are definitely well left of the average Australian, but in recent years there's also been increasing recognition that many of their policies aren't that crazy.

Every election it's interesting seeing the response to tools like Vote Compass, which asks people their views and then shows them which parties policies most closely align to them.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#153 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat May 28, 2022 1:20 pm

Nort wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:57 pm
SBD wrote:

Some Greens policies are definitely well left of the average Australian, but in recent years there's also been increasing recognition that many of their policies aren't that crazy.

Every election it's interesting seeing the response to tools like Vote Compass, which asks people their views and then shows them which parties policies most closely align to them.
A lot of well-to-do former Liberal voters who can't stomach voting Labor but are deeply concerned about climate change, the environment more broadly and have progressive social views, are starting to vote for the Greens. Look at Malcolm Fraser's endorsement of Sarah Hanson-Young prior to his death and more recently of the local Greens candidate by retiring Liberal MP Catherine Cusack. Anecdotally, I've also met a number of ex Libs who are now involved in the Greens.

Nort

#154 Post by Nort » Sat May 28, 2022 3:23 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:20 pm
Nort wrote:
SBD wrote:

A lot of well-to-do former Liberal voters who can't stomach voting Labor but are deeply concerned about climate change, the environment more broadly and have progressive social views, are starting to vote for the Greens. Look at Malcolm Fraser's endorsement of Sarah Hanson-Young prior to his death and more recently of the local Greens candidate by retiring Liberal MP Catherine Cusack. Anecdotally, I've also met a number of ex Libs who are now involved in the Greens.
It's a really interesting situation, because basically every Greens policy typically goes further from the Libs than Labor does. It's a sign of high far the Liberals have moves from their traditional base in the last three decades that some of their former supporters can deal with the things they wouldn't agree with the Greens on in order to try and get action on the things they do agree with.

SBD

#155 Post by SBD » Sat May 28, 2022 8:50 pm

Nort wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:23 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:20 pm
Nort wrote:

It's a really interesting situation, because basically every Greens policy typically goes further from the Libs than Labor does. It's a sign of high far the Liberals have moves from their traditional base in the last three decades that some of their former supporters can deal with the things they wouldn't agree with the Greens on in order to try and get action on the things they do agree with.
I'm not convinced that the world can be lined up on a single left-right axis. What I don't understand is why we seem to get a plethora for right-wing batshit parties, but only the Greens seem to be positioned at the other end. I haven't determined if they have given up their more extreme policies, or simply chosen not to talk about them.

bits
Legendary Member!

#156 Post by bits » Sat May 28, 2022 10:47 pm

Greed is more popular than generosity.

Nort

#157 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:37 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:37 pm
Nort wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:01 pm
rev wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:50 pm
Figures are rounded off but lets look...
Labor got 3.8 million votes this election, 2019 they had 4.7 million. Negative 900,000.
Liberal got 2.8 million, 2019 they had 3.9 million. Negative 1.1 million.
This is completely incorrect.
I've told you before, pay attention and keep up. Or keep being a clown. :lol:
We're talking primary vote.
Need a calculator?

Here you go, the AEC has the same figures, mine are of course, rounded off in case that needs explaining for the special trolls like Nort.
https://results.aec.gov.au/24310/Websit ... 10-NAT.htm

Go on, tell me I'm wrong that those aren't the numbers they got in the 2019 election as a primary vote. :lol:

Counting in this election was still underway in some seats at the time of the initial post, again, since that will probably need to be explained for him as well.

And here's the 2022 results so far...
https://tallyroom.aec.gov.au/HouseState ... 66-NAT.htm

Obviously the numbers have changed with the counting still underway, which I assume most people here are intelligent enough to understand, but just in case my personal troll doesn't understand, it should be explained to save them further embarrassment.

The point that there's been a swing away from the major parties still stands. That's something that was even acknowledged during election night by the media and their political/election analyst guests.

But apparently I'm wrong when I say it. Trolls, they don't make them like they used to. :cry: :lol:
Update on this post, Labors primary vote for the 2022 election now stands at 4,757,112, versus 4,752,160 in 2019.