News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5341 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:42 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:52 pm
There's a few of those.

There's 2 buffer points on the new Elizabeth turnback track which got used today as a train had to get passengers to disembark due to an electrical fault.

There's 1 north of the Gawler Junction that heads towards the old roseworthy and Nuriootpa line.

All of them have assisted tracks and also derailer points after them as well.
When was the train affected by the electrical fault? I spent the afternoon at various locations between Salisbury and North Adelaide taking photos, but noticed the 1525 from Gawler didn't come through N Adelaide.

What is meant by 'assisted track'?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#5342 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:20 pm

Why do they only use one platform at Gawler? It doesn't go to one track until the Gawler Oval side, so it seems this restricts the frequency of trains for no apparent reason.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5343 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:09 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:20 pm
Why do they only use one platform at Gawler? It doesn't go to one track until the Gawler Oval side, so it seems this restricts the frequency of trains for no apparent reason.
Wikipedia says Platform 1 is used for the services that terminate at Gawler on weekdays. Adelaide Metro currently lists the last service to Adelaide tonight as (Platform 3) but does not say that for any of tomorrow's trains, so maybe it's not a restriction on weekends and public holidays.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5344 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:39 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:20 pm
So that people don't have to cross the rails to get to the station building. The frequency is too low on weekends to create any impacts on schedules.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#5345 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:58 am

PD2/20 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:42 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
There's a few of those.

There's 2 buffer points on the new Elizabeth turnback track which got used today as a train had to get passengers to disembark due to an electrical fault.

There's 1 north of the Gawler Junction that heads towards the old roseworthy and Nuriootpa line.

When was the train affected by the electrical fault? I spent the afternoon at various locations between Salisbury and North Adelaide taking photos, but noticed the 1525 from Gawler didn't come through N Adelaide.

Your right the 15:25pm Gawler To Adelaide service was cancelled. Railcar 4009 was at the turnback track at elizabeth and got all passengers to disembark the train. Due to a mechanical fault with one of the railcars.

The 4009 railcar was already in the Elizabeth turnback when I arrived at elizabeth at 15:19pm. Minutes later the 15:25pm to Gawler Central arrived picking up all the passengers that had to disembark before.

It left the track around 15:23pm bound for either Dry Creek or Seaford Meadows.

The live timetable display for when the train arrives said 15:19pm To Adelaide then wait 59minutes for the 16:19pm To Adelaide.

I have a video of it leaving the turnback track if your interested

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5346 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:01 am

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:58 am
PD2/20 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:42 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
There's a few of those.

Your right the 15:25pm Gawler To Adelaide service was cancelled. Railcar 4009 was at the turnback track at elizabeth and got all passengers to disembark the train. Due to a mechanical fault with one of the railcars.

The 4009 railcar was already in the Elizabeth turnback when I arrived at elizabeth at 15:19pm. Minutes later the 15:25pm to Gawler Central arrived picking up all the passengers that had to disembark before.

It left the track around 15:23pm bound for either Dry Creek or Seaford Meadows.

The live timetable display for when the train arrives said 15:19pm To Adelaide then wait 59minutes for the 16:19pm To Adelaide.

I have a video of it leaving the turnback track if your interested
Thanks for the reply. That explains the missing working. I see from the real time feed that 4009 was back in service later on Sunday evening.

[Shuz]

#5347 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:39 am

Now that Gawler is done, reckon we'll see any progress on electrifying Outer Harbor before next state election?

I think the devil will be in the detail for the Port Dock extension if they will leave room for the electrification infrastructure - poles / wires / substations.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5348 Post by VLtom » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:58 am

Thankfully the 2019 plan did include passive provision for electrification, but I wouldn't expect the Outer Harbour Line electrification to progress hugely by 2026, unless the feds are very interested in split funding rail schemes.

rubberman

#5349 Post by rubberman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:37 am

VLtom wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:58 am

Thankfully the 2019 plan did include passive provision for electrification, but I wouldn't expect the Outer Harbour Line electrification to progress hugely by 2026, unless the feds are very interested in split funding rail schemes.
Yes. There's very little mention of major rail or tram infrastructure under Malinauskas vs Weatherill. Mr M has a big mandate in the health area, as well as big problems there. Even if he were interested in train or tram infrastructure, he has to prioritise health, or he will be a one-termer like Mr M.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5350 Post by Spotto » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:36 am

[Shuz] wrote:Now that Gawler is done, reckon we'll see any progress on electrifying Outer Harbor before next state election?

I think the devil will be in the detail for the Port Dock extension if they will leave room for the electrification infrastructure - poles / wires / substations.
The time to plan electrification of Outer Harbor was two years ago and have it flow on immediately after Gawler or run in tandem. Roll the same work crews from Gawler to OH as one continuous project.

If electrification does happen soon, it will essentially waste all the money put into the life extension and repowering of the 3000s. Unless if we strip the interiors and repurpose them for short-distance regional rail (i.e. Barossa, Two Wells, Kapunda).

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#5351 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:20 pm

Any idea how much it would cost to electrify the OH line?

rubberman

#5352 Post by rubberman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:23 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:36 am
[Shuz] wrote:Now that Gawler is done, reckon we'll see any progress on electrifying Outer Harbor before next state election?

The time to plan electrification of Outer Harbor was two years ago and have it flow on immediately after Gawler or run in tandem. Roll the same work crews from Gawler to OH as one continuous project.

If electrification does happen soon, it will essentially waste all the money put into the life extension and repowering of the 3000s. Unless if we strip the interiors and repurpose them for short-distance regional rail (i.e. Barossa, Two Wells, Kapunda).
Possibly a good idea. However, no money for it in the budget in the next five years. No election coming up. Hospitals need the money. Also, the $40bn the former Federal Government wasted might have come in handy. But it's gone. So, unless a cash strapped Federal Government can find the $$$, I am not optimistic at all.

[Shuz]

#5353 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:36 pm

If Gawler cost $900m for 42km of electrification, OH is 22km - so I'd guesstimate $500m. Inflation has gone up since and will continue to.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

[Shuz]

#5354 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:10 pm

Mali announced today that they are repurchasing land for the rail corridor for the future extension to Aldinga.

Apparently the previous Marshall Liberal Government had sold it off? I didn't know that - did anyone else?

Llessur2002

#5355 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:08 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:10 pm
Mali announced today that they are repurchasing land for the rail corridor for the future extension to Aldinga.

Apparently the previous Marshall Liberal Government had sold it off? I didn't know that - did anyone else?
I don't think they sold off the corridor, but they were in the process of securing a private development partner for a parcel at Aldinga.

https://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/st ... nga/?cs=12