News & Discussion: Regional Councils

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

News & Discussion: Regional Councils

#1 Post by Bulldozer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:59 pm

My question might sound a bit odd, so here's the backstory behind how I came up with it (skip to the end if you don't want to read it):

While up in the Flinders last week, we pulled into the "Prarie Hotel" at Parachilna (it'll always be the Parachilna Pub to me) for a schooner. We talked to the proprietors for a while (my dad went to school with one of them or something) and somehow conversation ended up on "deceased estates" in the area. Apparently there's a number of them around the Flinders Ranges that they've been trying to track down so they can acquire them and restore the buildings on them.

A few days later we shredded a tyre half-way between Arkaroola and Blinman and had to go down to Angorichina Village in Parachilna Gorge to get a new spare when we got to Blinman. On the way down I saw some signs on the side of the road saying there were large blocks for sale (500 acres or so). A few hours later I was imbibing in some icy pints of Blinman Pale Ale (highly recommended!) and I asked the girl behind the bar if she knew anything about the blocks. She said they'd been for sale for years and would probably never sell because they're hilly and you're not allowed to build on them. That sounded weird to me so I asked why that was. She said she didn't know but that's what she'd been told. I found that there's no local council, just a progress association.

So when I got back to Adelaide I tried to find out why it could be that you couldn't build on the land and who would have the power to control that. I did find out that when Blinman was surveyed, there were 160-odd blocks and a further 150-odd in the surrounding area for farming, (the population peaked at 1500-2000 when the copper mine was going about a century ago... now it's 30 or so) so I take it the blocks are freehold and not leasehold. There's a town progress association and the area is covered by a council-type body that covers about 80% of SA - the Outback Areas Community Development Trust (I think that's the name), which says on its website that it's considered as a council for some things, but I couldn't find if they had any planning powers.

So does anyone know why you wouldn't be allowed to build, and perhaps more importantly - who, if anyone, controls developments in non-council areas?

bva
High Rise Poster!

Re: Development in out-of-council areas

#2 Post by bva » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:47 pm

within SA there are i remember a number of areas that are called 'land not within a council area' and each has a Development Plan of its own. The Dev Plan sets the planning policy for that 'area' and is the primary assessment tool like any other.

they are Eyre, Whyalla, Coastal, Far North, fLINDERS, Metropolitan and Riverland

I think the Development Assessment Commission acts as if it was a 'council' for planning approvals in these areas, although i remember there is a capacity to establish a regional assessment commision but have no idea if this has happened

if you are very interested then Planning SA has a current PAR on consultation amalgamating four of these Plans. Check the link
http://www.planning.sa.gov.au/go/develo ... l-area-par

you will also see the other Dev Plans at

http://www.planning.sa.gov.au/go/develo ... ntry-plans

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Bulldozer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:08 am

Cheers for that! Now I know that the DAC handles development approvals in out-of-council areas and there are development plans covering the various regions.

As for the land I saw for sale near Blinman, as I read the Flinders Development Plan and guess where it's located it would be zoned "Environment A" or something, which appears to mean the only allowable developments are small shelters and rainwater tanks for walkers and horse riders. No wonder that land hasn't sold in years - it's useless for anything other than grazing and with the price they're probably asking for it, it's too expensive to get a return from that.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Cruise » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:11 am

Out of curiosity what was the price for the land?

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Bulldozer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:18 am

Cruise Control wrote:Out of curiosity what was the price for the land?
I have no idea, but now I'm wishing there was a pen in the car so I could have written down the phone number on the sign as it'd be interesting to know.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by Cruise » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:38 am

Bulldozer wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:Out of curiosity what was the price for the land?
I have no idea, but now I'm wishing there was a pen in the car so I could have written down the phone number on the sign as it'd be interesting to know.
I cant imagine much

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Regional Councils

#7 Post by Eurostar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:53 pm

At Phoenix Plaza in Gawler I saw Rite Price is having shelves put in now so shouldn't be far off from opening

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by eKwatee » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Couldn't find a thread for Barossa Valley Development News so I thought I'd post it here.

Is this another OTR development, similar to their Boliver Store. Anyone know?
The Barossa Council will proceed with the Sturt Highway Service CentreDevelopment Plan Amendment (DPA), paving the way for highway development adjacent Belvidere Road at Nuriootpa.
The DPA was spearheaded by a developer, who in May 2017, approached council to establish a petrol station, restaurant, convenience store, parking, playground and public amenities on the corner of Sturt Highway and Belvidere Road.
See article https://www.barossaherald.com.au/story/ ... e/?src=rss & also https://www.barossaherald.com.au/story/ ... ce-centre/

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:35 pm

There are not presently any service centres along the North-South Corridor. Once the Northern Connector and Regency Road overpass are completed, there will be no natural stops between the Torrens River and Truro. A Truro Bypass would extend that distance to Blanchetown.

This is pretty much the only site that gives Barossa Council a chance to claim the rates from such a development, as most of the north side of the Sturt Highway is in Light Regional Council.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by eKwatee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:35 pm

You'd think this would be an OTR development. They seem to be forward thinkers when it comes to planning their locations.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by SBD » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 am

eKwatee wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:35 pm
You'd think this would be an OTR development. They seem to be forward thinkers when it comes to planning their locations.
If the idea is a service centre to capture passing traffic without crossing the highway, it could also be the operator of the Caltex on the south side at the intersection with the Barossa Valley Way. That could depend on whether the "competition" or "safety and amenity" arguments are most compelling.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Eurostar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:20 am

https://barossaleader.com/kfc-for-barossa/

KFC for Barossa
May 15, 2020

A Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise is proposed to be incorporated into the Sturt Highway Service Centre at Nuriootpa, joining McDonald’s as the two restaurants in the $10 million development.

Plans were lodged with The Barossa Council in March with the category 2 development now revealing the full extent of the proposal.

Also proposed joining KFC and McDonald’s is an X Convenience integrated petrol filling station with a retail outlet for automotive products and a limited amount of convenience retailing, coffee and take away food offerings.
Attachments
Screen-Shot-Highway-plans-696x502.jpg

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Eurostar » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:09 pm

From this week's Barossa Leader

Work will commence in December on the Sturt Highway Service Centre in Nuriootpa, paving the way for two fast food outlets and a SA owned service station brand.

Family owned South Australian business, X Convenience will open a service station and car wash on the site and anticipate to be trading in August.
(KFC and McDonalds will be included at the site)

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Eurostar » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:06 am

The truckstop site (X Convenience) at Nuriootpa. Well a Vietnamese Roll place is opening soon.