Velo Adelaide 500

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Superloop 500

#91 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:02 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:04 pm
The forklifts and cranes used on site, would hardly be anywhere near to the thousands of cars that use the nearby roads on a daily basis, that get closed for the track, in terms of emissions and pollution.

I think anyone trying to make that argument is stretching reality.

The marquees and infrastructure that goes up for the race, is already built, it exists. It's not like they're destroying a forest, digging up a new mine, polluting a waterway, every time the race is held.

The economical benefit of this event far outweighs any negative impacts.

Besides, I don't know why we're even talking about this with GHS/Greenman just doing his usual shit stirring trolling, surprised he managed to not make a racist remarks.
Of course. Those logistical carbon costs are more at international motorsports like F1, with cars and equipment being shipped and flown around the world. Much less of an issue with domestic categories.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#92 Post by rev » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:02 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:04 pm
The forklifts and cranes used on site, would hardly be anywhere near to the thousands of cars that use the nearby roads on a daily basis, that get closed for the track, in terms of emissions and pollution.

I think anyone trying to make that argument is stretching reality.

The marquees and infrastructure that goes up for the race, is already built, it exists. It's not like they're destroying a forest, digging up a new mine, polluting a waterway, every time the race is held.

The economical benefit of this event far outweighs any negative impacts.

Besides, I don't know why we're even talking about this with GHS/Greenman just doing his usual shit stirring trolling, surprised he managed to not make a racist remarks.
Of course. Those logistical carbon costs are more at international motorsports like F1, with cars and equipment being shipped and flown around the world. Much less of an issue with domestic categories.
Well yeh exactly.
Im surprised with the politicisation of emissions that Supercars haven't turned around and done something such as a small fee from your ticket, say $2, will be put towards planting trees and especially during bush fires for example, to offset any emissions.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by Jaymz » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:56 pm

Don't get me wrong, I attended at least one day of the Clipsal probably ten times over the years. A couple of times the full four days.

But I really can't see that the V8's are going to be a long term thing. For myself and i'd say many of the other fans that attended, it was all about the Holden vs Ford rivalry and the fact both brands manufactured said models in Australia. Granted, the actual race versions share hardly a thing from their road going cousins these days. Unlike going back to say, the 80's and before, the race cars were pretty much a souped up version of what the average punter could actually buy.

A big red flag for me was when Clipsal withdrew their sponsorship 5 or 6 years ago, they saw the writing on the wall. It would have to go down as one of the greatest major event sponsorship deals in Australian history. I mean, how many other events are simply called by their major sponsors name? It was simply known as "The Clipsal" to the punters. Unheard of!!

I guess the saving grace is that the Adelaide race was more of a festival, with tonnes of other stuff to see and do. But is it worth the tens of millions of dollars to hold the race each year? Is it worth all the traffic disruptions? One thing I think is a good decision though is to move it away from Mad March.

I just think that nostalgia will not be enough to make the comeback of this to Adelaide a success. I hope i'm proven wrong.

Nort

#94 Post by Nort » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:28 am

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:56 pm
Don't get me wrong, I attended at least one day of the Clipsal probably ten times over the years. A couple of times the full four days.

But I really can't see that the V8's are going to be a long term thing. For myself and i'd say many of the other fans that attended, it was all about the Holden vs Ford rivalry and the fact both brands manufactured said models in Australia. Granted, the actual race versions share hardly a thing from their road going cousins these days. Unlike going back to say, the 80's and before, the race cars were pretty much a souped up version of what the average punter could actually buy.

A big red flag for me was when Clipsal withdrew their sponsorship 5 or 6 years ago, they saw the writing on the wall. It would have to go down as one of the greatest major event sponsorship deals in Australian history. I mean, how many other events are simply called by their major sponsors name? It was simply known as "The Clipsal" to the punters. Unheard of!!

I guess the saving grace is that the Adelaide race was more of a festival, with tonnes of other stuff to see and do. But is it worth the tens of millions of dollars to hold the race each year? Is it worth all the traffic disruptions? One thing I think is a good decision though is to move it away from Mad March.

I just think that nostalgia will not be enough to make the comeback of this to Adelaide a success. I hope i'm proven wrong.
You make some good points, but I think the Clipsal withdrawal also comes in the context of their ongoing reduction in size over the last 15 years.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by Jaymz » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:24 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:28 am
Jaymz wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:56 pm

You make some good points, but I think the Clipsal withdrawal also comes in the context of their ongoing reduction in size over the last 15 years.
Perhaps. I'm sure it was no coincidence they ended their sponsorship around the same time as Holden announced it would be ceasing the manufacture of the Commodore at Elizabeth.

My guess is there will be a swell of support for this year's race. Anything less than a crowd of 50k for the Saturday and Sunday would be disappointing, given that the figure was 80 - 90k at its height.

The most important part will be who they get as the main entertainment acts for the weekend, Sunday night in particular. When Robbie Williams performed on the Sunday night a few years back, thousands of non - V8 fans flooded in after the race was finished. A general admission ticket for $99 was an absolute bargain to see an act of that calibre.

rev

#96 Post by rev » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:53 pm

The fact they're even going to go ahead with it, doing everything from scratch, in such a short time...even if they get crowds as shit as what The Bend gets, its a success.

This year's event shouldn't be held in high expectations.
The 2023 event onwards however..

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by Jaymz » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:28 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:53 pm
The fact they're even going to go ahead with it, doing everything from scratch, in such a short time...even if they get crowds as shit as what The Bend gets, its a success.

Well they're not really doing it from scratch.... same track, same stands they've built 20 times before, same road closures The only thing different is the time of year.

rev

#98 Post by rev » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:25 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:28 pm
rev wrote:

Well they're not really doing it from scratch.... same track, same stands they've built 20 times before, same road closures The only thing different is the time of year.
Ah, not exactly. A lot of infrastructure used in the past is gone. Even the concrete track barriers.

There's a lot of work & planning that goes on behind the scenes before an event especially an event of this size.

SBD

#99 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:54 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:25 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:28 pm
rev wrote:

Ah, not exactly. A lot of infrastructure used in the past is gone. Even the concrete track barriers.

There's a lot of work & planning that goes on behind the scenes before an event especially an event of this size.
I believe that a lot of the portable infrastructure that had previously been stored at government expense between events has been sold to hire companies, and the government has arranged to hire it for the event. So the same people can be hired to erect the same stands, barriers etc, but instead of being contracted direct to the government, they'll work for the hire company. The owners can also rent it to other people at other times of the year.

Llessur2002

#100 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:39 pm

Yeah, I heard Mali talking on the radio about this a few weeks ago and that was pretty much what he said - something like 80% of the equipment previously used can be used again but this time on hire from whoever it was sold to.

rev

#101 Post by rev » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:10 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:39 pm
Yeah, I heard Mali talking on the radio about this a few weeks ago and that was pretty much what he said - something like 80% of the equipment previously used can be used again but this time on hire from whoever it was sold to.
At what cost though?
If it becomes too expensive to hire it back, even say on a 5 year lease, the government will then look at buying it back. Those who bought the infrastructure will want to sell it at a profit. What then would be the cost of purchasing new equipment instead?
The former Liberal government have certainly done a number on South Australia in this regard.

SBD

#102 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:50 am

rev wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:10 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:39 pm
At what cost though?
If it becomes too expensive to hire it back, even say on a 5 year lease, the government will then look at buying it back. Those who bought the infrastructure will want to sell it at a profit. What then would be the cost of purchasing new equipment instead?
The former Liberal government have certainly done a number on South Australia in this regard.
Where was it stored and maintained? There could be cost savings in that area. It's possible that the government had to own it originally as there just weren't that many concrete barriers in existance to hire. I expect they already use event hire companies for things like marquees, coffee urns, PA systems etc., even though somewhere in the state, the government is probably hiring them every week. It's just not worth having public servants on staff to do some of those maintenance duties. Now that there are concrete barriers, temporary pedestrian bridges etc. available for hire, they can be hired just like other event infrastructure, by government or anyone else.

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#103 Post by Cryptic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:07 pm

The Adelaide 500 was launched today in Victoria Square as the VALO Adelaide 500. The Killers are the headline act accompanied by quite a few supporting acts.

GreenMan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#104 Post by GreenMan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:06 pm

What are the chances of having everything setup in 3 months ?

Keep in mind that the workers will be ‘Rained out’ quite a few times.

Mark my words, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

If I was Peter M, I would be very nervous.

rev

#105 Post by rev » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:05 am

The setup always takes 3 months.