Petrol Station Owners

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#136 Post by SBD » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:33 pm

Caltex Australia is NOT Chevron. Chevron sold its share in 2015. Caltex Australia stopped paying the licence fee on the name Caltex in 2020 and is rebranding to Ampol, which was an Australian brand it already owned but had phased out of use.

Oh - WIkipedia says Chevron is back in Australia because it bought Puma Energy. I don't recall seeing them in SA?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#137 Post by Eurostar » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:25 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:33 pm
Caltex Australia is NOT Chevron. Chevron sold its share in 2015. Caltex Australia stopped paying the licence fee on the name Caltex in 2020 and is rebranding to Ampol, which was an Australian brand it already owned but had phased out of use.

Oh - WIkipedia says Chevron is back in Australia because it bought Puma Energy. I don't recall seeing them in SA?
If I recall there is Puma in Port Augusta

GreenMan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#138 Post by GreenMan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:36 am

rev wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:44 pm
Change your name to whatever you want, you're still the same clueless racist.

I am by no means racist.

It’s just a bit disappointing that the state’s biggest employer doesn’t employ any Australian people.

There needs to be further investigation into the operations of OTR and X convenience.

[Shuz]

#139 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:30 pm

That is inherently racist.

How do you know the residency and citizenship status of every single OTR and X Convience employee?

Seriously, just go away - nobody wants you on these forums.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

GreenMan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#140 Post by GreenMan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Electric car maker BYD are setting up a dealership in medindie.

Electric cars are the future. I feel sorry for the likes of dodgy petrol stations such as
X convenience.

They’re going to struggle !

SBD

#141 Post by SBD » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:26 pm

GreenMan wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:50 pm
Electric car maker BYD are setting up a dealership in medindie.

Electric cars are the future. I feel sorry for the likes of dodgy petrol stations such as
X convenience.

They’re going to struggle !
They might need to get the law changed that says they are only allowed to open 24 hours if they sell fuel. Otherwise, I'm sure they will be fine. OTR already has several outlets that don't sell fuel. A century ago, the local shop sold fuel in cans. Then we had service stations that sold fuel, eventually from bulk tanks. Then the service disappeared and we just had bulk fuel shops. Now we have convenience shops that sell bulk fuel. Eventually, we might have convenience shops with a fuel bowser in the corner of the yard, a cafe and a batch of fast charger stations for people on longer trips.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#142 Post by Eurostar » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:28 pm

Hotbox closed at Hillcrest Mobil X Convenience

[Shuz]

#143 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:35 am

Thank you for that riveting pointless insight that literally nobody cares about.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#144 Post by SBD » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:40 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:35 am
Thank you for that riveting pointless insight that literally nobody cares about.
Did someone get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

Fast food franchise closing in a "convenience" fuel outlet is interesting in the context of a discussion that fuel is unlikely to be the conttinuing reason for their existence.

bits
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by bits » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:59 pm

ICE vehicles are the main vehicles for maybe 10-20 more years.

SBD

#146 Post by SBD » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:09 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:59 pm
ICE vehicles are the main vehicles for maybe 10-20 more years.
I agree. We are in the market for a new car now, and electric won't meet our needs yet. I'd say that it might only be ten to fifteen years until internal combustion engines are either niche or not available for "normal" cars, but the average age of cars on the road must be at least ten years old, so by 2045, half of the cars are likely to still be fossil fuel powered.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#147 Post by rev » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:34 am

Viva Energy to buy On The Run for $1.15b

Petrol and diesel supplier Viva Energy has struck a $1.15 billion deal to buy OTR Group, the owner of On the Run convenience stores, in what will be a big boost to its activities in grab-and-go retailing.

The acquisition, from Peregrine Corporation, will hand Viva the 205-strong network of On the Run retailers that generate more than $3 billion of revenue a year and employ about 6500 people.

The network includes 184 integrated fuel and convenience stores and 31 standalone retail stores.

Also included are Smokemart and Giftbox tobacco and cigarette stores, and the Mogas wholesale fuel and lubricants businesses in regional South Australia.

Viva chief executive Scott Wyatt describes the deal as “transformational” for the company, saying that OTR will become Viva’s flagship convenience brand, replacing Coles Express.

“The introduction of OTR’s superior convenience offering, including quick serve restaurants, will help revolutionise the diversity and attraction of our retail offering,” Mr Wyatt said.

“As our stores increasingly become retail destinations, we expect convenience earnings will grow and reduce our dependency on traditional fuels.”

The transaction comes as traditional fuel suppliers face a gradual decline in their core business as motorists move towards electric vehicles. Viva is planning a clean fuels hub at its Geelong refinery site in Victoria, but its plans for an LNG import terminal have hit regulatory and policy delays.

The acquisition, which is subject to competition regulator approval, will add to earnings per share by between 6 per cent and 26 per cent. It will be funded by $1 billion of debt and working capital already held within Viva and a $150 million issue of equity to the sellers.
https://www.afr.com/companies/energy/vi ... 405-p5cy7c

Viva owns the second largest refinery in the country, and they own the Shell service station chains. Will be interesting to see if OTR remain as BP.

Llessur2002

#148 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:17 pm

Not that I've got a massive sweet tooth or anything but it's slightly annoying that this apparently means the Coles Express servo stores will be replaced by OTRs. Whilst their grocery range is usually small, what the Coles Express stores do sell tends to be at Coles prices which are significantly cheaper than OTR. A can of Coke is a good example - $2 at Coles Express and around $4 at OTR. Chocolate bars are often on sale for $1 at Coles Express as per the standard Coles prices, whereas most are $3-4 at OTR.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#149 Post by Jaymz » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:16 pm

It'll be interesting to see what happens with sites such as the Coles Express on West Terrace in the city.

If converted into an OTR would mean two in the space of a few hundred metres. I'm sure there'd be other examples of this in S A.

I mean how does this work from a competition (or lack thereof) perspective?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#150 Post by rev » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:03 pm

Wouldn't be the first time that OTR get away with cornering the market/creating a monopoly in a certain area.

The regulator or whomever is going to look at it before approving anyway, either party of this merger essentially could be forced to sell some sites for the deal to be approved.

Whats not in the article but was in the news is that 700~ Shell Coles outlets will be rebranded OTR nationally, Yasser Shahin/Peregrine will be the largest share holder apparently. Part of Viva will be headquartered in Adelaide for at least ten years.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start buying more shares/buying out other stakeholders within a few years.