News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3631 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:56 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:18 pm
Also, noticed Renew Adelaide were looking for expression of interest for a space in the Myer Centre 'formerly occupied by Rebel Sport'. It would seem that Uniqlo's space will run along the western boundary of the building, whilst the second of Rebel Sport that was situated directly above the laser clinic will be a separate tenancy altogether. Would explain why there isn't any hoarding up around this particular space.
That makes sense, since the two tenancies weren't connected at all. It was always a weird setup for Rebel.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3632 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:38 pm

Quick Rundle Mall retail update:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#3633 Post by notmichaeljfox » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:34 pm

Saw an ad saying JD Sport is opening on Thursday. Hoardings are still up though.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3634 Post by Pants » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Did some random Googling re Adelaide retail recently and found out that:

Tag Heuer will be opening an Adelaide CBD store soon
Culture Kings has put out a call for leasing submissions for an Adelaide CBD store of between 500 and 1000sqm
Outside the CBD, Nike will be opening a Harbour Town outlet in November.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3635 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:54 pm

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3636 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:08 pm

….and Levi’s is open again.

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#3637 Post by nath91 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:48 pm

Carla Zampatti now open on Rundle Street.

Assembly Label and Viktoria Woode to still open. Other high street brands which would be great to add would be Venroy, Bassike, Bec and Bridge, Husk, Camilla and Marc

Rundle St soon will be like our own James Street in Fortitude (Bris) or Oxford Street in Paddington (Syd). Needs some more greenery and ambience enhancements but great to see the retail product moving in.

Attachments
CZ.JPG

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3638 Post by Eurostar » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am

nath91 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:48 pm

Assembly Label and Viktoria Woode to still open. Other high street brands which would be great to add would be Venroy, Bassike, Bec and Bridge, Husk, Camilla and Marc

Rundle St soon will be like our own James Street in Fortitude (Bris) or Oxford Street in Paddington (Syd). Needs some more greenery and ambience enhancements but great to see the retail product moving in.

They should close part of street off to cars in evenings especially in summer.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#3639 Post by Benm16 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:05 am

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am
nath91 wrote:

Completely agree. They should shut off the entire length of rundle street as a continuation of the mall. This pedestrian boulevard could extend all the way through the parklands to Dequetteville Terrace and this area could be used as a main access for cyclists and pedestrians to connect from the eastern suburbs to the city. Would also encourage people visiting the mall to access the parklands as I feel they aren't fully utilized at the moment. This wide Boulevard could also be used as an outdoor event space so when events like Illuminate or the Fringe are on they have a level surface to use instead of having to close off roads like they currently do.

Patrick_27

#3640 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:09 pm

Benm16 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:05 am
Eurostar wrote:
nath91 wrote:

Completely agree. They should shut off the entire length of rundle street as a continuation of the mall. This pedestrian boulevard could extend all the way through the parklands to Dequetteville Terrace and this area could be used as a main access for cyclists and pedestrians to connect from the eastern suburbs to the city. Would also encourage people visiting the mall to access the parklands as I feel they aren't fully utilized at the moment. This wide Boulevard could also be used as an outdoor event space so when events like Illuminate or the Fringe are on they have a level surface to use instead of having to close off roads like they currently do.
They tried doing that and traders fought against it. I agree that section of Parkland should be closed off to allow for the connection of Rymill and Rundle Park(s), however I do agree with local traders that a lot of the restaurant and retail patronage comes from people who want the privilege of being able to park along that strip for next to nothing rather than pay for parking at Target or U-Park.

SBD

#3641 Post by SBD » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:22 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:09 pm
Benm16 wrote:
Eurostar wrote:

They tried doing that and traders fought against it. I agree that section of Parkland should be closed off to allow for the connection of Rymill and Rundle Park(s), however I do agree with local traders that a lot of the restaurant and retail patronage comes from people who want the privilege of being able to park along that strip for next to nothing rather than pay for parking at Target or U-Park.
A nice meme, but the restaurants would not survive on only the patronage of the people parked out the front. I don't even know if they would actually notice the difference at the cash register. Would the pedestrian trade from nearby hotels and apartments be enough to sustain them? I suspect not many.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#3642 Post by Benm16 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Benm16 wrote:
Eurostar wrote:

So you're saying if we remove the 30-50 car parks (go on google and count them, there is literally less than 50 spaces) that run along rundle street, then all those restaurants will fail. I find that extremely hard to believe. Look how popular leigh and peel street are and you can't park there. I think people use car parking as an excuse to limit change because people in this state seem to be scared of change.

Nathan

#3643 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:14 am

Benm16 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Benm16 wrote:

So you're saying if we remove the 30-50 car parks (go on google and count them, there is literally less than 50 spaces) that run along rundle street, then all those restaurants will fail. I find that extremely hard to believe. Look how popular leigh and peel street are and you can't park there. I think people use car parking as an excuse to limit change because people in this state seem to be scared of change.
I've worked in the East End for over a decade, and I would never bother trying to get a street park on Rundle St. Just go straight to East Tce or the UPark and save the hassle. Doing laps of the block for 10mins on the hope of finding a park as someone leaves just to save a 1min walk is idiocy.

I think businesses vastly over estimate the patronage from those street parks, and if the issue is cheaper parking than the UPark, are those cheapskates really the best customers?

SBD

#3644 Post by SBD » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:41 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:14 am
Benm16 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am
Patrick_27 wrote:

I've worked in the East End for over a decade, and I would never bother trying to get a street park on Rundle St. Just go straight to East Tce or the UPark and save the hassle. Doing laps of the block for 10mins on the hope of finding a park as someone leaves just to save a 1min walk is idiocy.

I think businesses vastly over estimate the patronage from those street parks, and if the issue is cheaper parking than the UPark, are those cheapskates really the best customers?
I wonder what the net effect on patronage would be from making all of the on-street parking along there a mix of taxi/loading zones (passenger pick up/set down) and disabled parking only.

Maybe the 30 and 60 minute daytime parking in front of retail shops is worth keeping, but it should be tested not assumed.

Patrick_27

#3645 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:48 pm

Mincing my words there, guys. It’s not my belief that this is the case, it is one of a few reasons argued for not closing the parkland section of Rundle Street. And I’m merely stating the privilege of some of the more high-end diners who want to park out the front of where they are dining in. Frankly I’d be in favour of all the parking on Rundle Street becoming loading zones during the day and additional dining space during the evenings.