News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3661 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:17 pm

Had a suss of the Uniqlo site the other day when walking past. Those hoping for a large flagship store are sure to be sorely disappointed… From what it seems, it’s largely ground level with a much smaller level 1 footprint at the rear. I suspect, like H&M in RMP, they’ll opt for a scaled down men’s/kids section and mostly focus on women’s clothing.The former Rebel Sport space at the front is entirely up for lease through Renew Adelaide, not sure if this is due to a variation of Uniqlo’s plans of whether Rebel took the chance to close due to accessibility issues during construction of the other.

Llessur2002

#3662 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:11 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:17 pm
Had a suss of the Uniqlo site the other day when walking past. Those hoping for a large flagship store are sure to be sorely disappointed… From what it seems, it’s largely ground level with a much smaller level 1 footprint at the rear. I suspect, like H&M in RMP, they’ll opt for a scaled down men’s/kids section and mostly focus on women’s clothing.The former Rebel Sport space at the front is entirely up for lease through Renew Adelaide, not sure if this is due to a variation of Uniqlo’s plans of whether Rebel took the chance to close due to accessibility issues during construction of the other.
Boo :cry:

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3663 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:39 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Had a suss of the Uniqlo site the other day when walking past. Those hoping for a large flagship store are sure to be sorely disappointed… From what it seems, it’s largely ground level with a much smaller level 1 footprint at the rear. I suspect, like H&M in RMP, they’ll opt for a scaled down men’s/kids section and mostly focus on women’s clothing.The former Rebel Sport space at the front is entirely up for lease through Renew Adelaide, not sure if this is due to a variation of Uniqlo’s plans of whether Rebel took the chance to close due to accessibility issues during construction of the other.
Not even sure it’ll have any level 1. The signs on level 1 actually say “Ground Floor”. Image

This will make it a really wide shop but not very deep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3664 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:40 pm

Old level 1 Rebel Sport Myer Centre that faced Rundle Mall empty.

Patrick_27

#3665 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:52 pm

When you think about it, this is the worst location that Uniqlo could have established themselves in. They’re not an anchor tenant, their footprint is awkward and evidently smaller and they don’t have any room the expand.

Would have been better off trying to wrangle something in an upgraded City X.

Nort

#3666 Post by Nort » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:12 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:52 pm
When you think about it, this is the worst location that Uniqlo could have established themselves in. They’re not an anchor tenant, their footprint is awkward and evidently smaller and they don’t have any room the expand.

They have plenty of experience to know what type of space they'll potentially need to expand into in a market the size of Adelaide, and they're gonna have a large mall facing presence. Seems pretty suitable.

Patrick_27

#3667 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:12 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:52 pm

They have plenty of experience to know what type of space they'll potentially need to expand into in a market the size of Adelaide, and they're gonna have a large mall facing presence. Seems pretty suitable.
Town planners and architects also have plenty of experience, that’s not to say they don’t make bad decisions.

Yes, a large mall frontage with trees and benches obstructing both the view and entrance from the other side of the mall.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3668 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:46 pm

From the Advertiser:
TAG Heuer to open first Adelaide store in Rundle Mall

Another luxury brand is set to open its first Adelaide store later this year ahead of more big brand arrivals next year.

Giuseppe Tauriello

Swiss watchmaker TAG Heuer will open its first Adelaide store in December, ahead of more luxury arrivals in the city next year.

The new boutique store will replace Cue’s Rundle Mall outlet on the corner of Charles St, in the Adelaide Central Plaza building, which is also home to David Jones and luxury jeweller Tiffany & Co.

Designed by the brand’s in-house architectural team in Switzerland, the facade of the 64sq m store will feature a series of digital screens, with the retailer describing the interior as featuring a “modern, minimalistic, sleek, and elevated look which complements the new global retail direction of the brand”.

TAG Heuer general manager Australia and New Zealand Van Mulryan said Australia was one of the brands largest and most important markets.

“We have developed a strong brand presence throughout the country since the 1980s and the brand continues to resonate strongly with our discerning Australian customers,” she said.

“We are thrilled to open the Adelaide boutique with this spectacular new avant-garde design which elevates and offers a dynamic experience for our customers.”

Property billionaire Shaun Bonètt’s Precision Group owns Adelaide Central Plaza, and the company’s chief operating officer Trevor Dill said the centre was emerging as Adelaide’s most prestigious luxury retail destination.

He said more big name brands would be moving in next year.

“The addition of TAG Heuer aligns with our revitalised vision to create a premium retail and experience offer, based around international luxury brands, catering to the discerning and style-conscious customer at Adelaide Central Plaza,” he said.

“And with further luxury brands joining Tiffany & Co and TAG Heuer (to launch) by mid-2023, I’m looking forward to seeing South Australians enjoying Adelaide Central Plaza as the world-class retail destination of Adelaide.”

The opening of the new Tag Heuer store will coincide with the launch of Japanese fashion giant Uniqlo’s new outlet in the Myer Centre.

Rebel Sport, JD Sports, Glue Store, QBD Books and Dymocks have all opened new outlets in Rundle Mall this year, helping to drive the retail vacancy rate down to a 15-year low.

CBRE’s latest shopfront count, released last month, reveals that shop vacancies along Rundle Mall dropped from 6 per cent to just 4.1 per cent in the first half of this year – the lowest figure of all CBD strips surveyed across the country’s five largest capital cities.

Nathan

#3669 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:41 pm

Nike store has re-opened. Looks like the store goes much further back now, taking some of the former food court space.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3670 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am

Maybe something happening with the retail unit at the station? The white hoardings are down that have been there forever:

Llessur2002

#3671 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:00 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am
Maybe something happening with the retail unit at the station? The white hoardings are down that have been there forever:
I've also noticed the larger tenancies towards the Oval end of the station no longer show for lease signs. I'm still hoping for a metro type supermarket here.

The Scooter Guy

#3672 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:15 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:00 am
AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am
I've also noticed the larger tenancies towards the Oval end of the station no longer show for lease signs. I'm still hoping for a metro type supermarket here.
Coffee shop I'd say. It's been nearly 7 years since the newsagent here closed its doors.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Llessur2002

#3673 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:04 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:15 pm
Coffee shop I'd say. It's been nearly 7 years since the newsagent here closed its doors.
That's possible for the small previously-newsagent tenancy but I meant the large tenancies at the other end of the station - they're too big for a coffee shop.

ChillyPhilly

#3674 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:57 pm

I haven't seen any recent activity, construction or otherwise, down the Oval end. The last use was for some art installations during Fringe/early 2022.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#3675 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:14 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:57 pm
I haven't seen any recent activity, construction or otherwise, down the Oval end. The last use was for some art installations during Fringe/early 2022.
No, but the 'for lease' signage has all been removed so I presume something is in the works.