[PRO] 292-300 Rundle Street | 68m | 21 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Hex
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[PRO] Re: 292-300 Rundle Street | 67m | 21 Levels | Mixed Use

#211 Post by Hex » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:27 am

SBD wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:53 pm
Hex wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:37 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:30 pm
Ideally, carparking can be banned for residential CBD developments.
Should be the other way around. Remove all parking for non residents. Perhaps allow the existing multi level parks to operate and then never approve another one.
How do "true city dwellers" deal with what I (a suburbanite) would call the "weekly shopping"? Not many of the major residential towers have what suburban people would recognise as a "supermarket" within a very short walk (the distance to the back of the shopping centre carpark). Going to the shop is still different to just using pick and deliver services. If the intent is to significantly increase the city population, then many of the additional people are likely to come from suburban and regional areas where families have at least two cars. Forcing them to only have one on site, but allowing it to have all-weather access to the home is likely to be helpful for a transition. I expect that in Adelaide, it's still more practical to have your own car than to rent one for trips (including to a daytrip to wineries or national parks on the weekend) which aren't practical on public transport. Once people don't touch their car for a month, they've perhaps fully adapted.

Quoting the wrong post here. I have no problems with residential parking in towers. It's the street side parking in the CBD I don't agree with. But to answer the question anyway, I used to go to Coles on Grote st while that existed. Now I just get Coles delivery. Since I work at home I can pick the cheapest delivery option for the day which is usually $2. Combined with the central markets and the rundle mall supermarkets, I don't have any issues living car free.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#212 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:48 am

Unless someone has mobility restrictions, it is entirely possible to live car-free in all areas of the CBD.

While many improvements can and need to be made to pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure, it remains viable to walk to local shops and services. Failing this, there are plenty of public transit options, including taxis.

I feel that with the cost of food ever-increasing, less people are buying by the trolley load, and rather buying as they need, when they need. This futher supports the ability to and behaviour of walking to local shops and businesses.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#213 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:14 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:48 am
Unless someone has mobility restrictions, it is entirely possible to live car-free in all areas of the CBD.

While many improvements can and need to be made to pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure, it remains viable to walk to local shops and services. Failing this, there are plenty of public transit options, including taxis.

I feel that with the cost of food ever-increasing, less people are buying by the trolley load, and rather buying as they need, when they need. This futher supports the ability to and behaviour of walking to local shops and businesses.
While it may be possible to live car-free, that would take a big mind-set shift so not providing any on-site carpark with an apartment would completely turn off a large segment of the market for larger apartments who might be moving from suburbs or regional areas. A cheaper apartment without a car park might be attractive for people who lived in student accommodation without a car first.

As a suburb resident couple, we do a weekly shop, mostly by going to a large Foodland, and occasionally by online and delivery. If we need extra things we failed to plan for, they might get picked up at Woollies or wherever we happen to be close to. Shopping weekly is far more efficient than daily - either for visiting a large shop or for home delivery which incurs a fee per delivery (not per kilogram or dollar spend) here. If the time and exercise is available, we have walked to the nearest Woollies and walked home with our own trolley, but not recently, partly due to health concerns.

Nathan

#214 Post by Nathan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:47 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:14 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:48 am

While it may be possible to live car-free, that would take a big mind-set shift so not providing any on-site carpark with an apartment would completely turn off a large segment of the market for larger apartments who might be moving from suburbs or regional areas. A cheaper apartment without a car park might be attractive for people who lived in student accommodation without a car first.

As a suburb resident couple, we do a weekly shop, mostly by going to a large Foodland, and occasionally by online and delivery. If we need extra things we failed to plan for, they might get picked up at Woollies or wherever we happen to be close to. Shopping weekly is far more efficient than daily - either for visiting a large shop or for home delivery which incurs a fee per delivery (not per kilogram or dollar spend) here. If the time and exercise is available, we have walked to the nearest Woollies and walked home with our own trolley, but not recently, partly due to health concerns.
Maybe the issue is that tying the number of carparks to the size of an apartment is a blunt instrument that makes far too many assumptions. What if parking is decoupled from the residence — buy/rent your apartment, and buy/rent as many carparks you require as a seperate arrangement?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#215 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:50 pm

Banning carparks is a non-starter, but minimum car parking criteria should be lowered or abolished where possible. I don't have any great faith in the free market, but equalising an appropriate level of car parking or car sharing services is something it has handled well enough in other cities.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Algernon

#216 Post by Algernon » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:25 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:50 pm
Banning carparks is a non-starter, but minimum car parking criteria should be lowered or abolished where possible. I don't have any great faith in the free market, but equalising an appropriate level of car parking or car sharing services is something it has handled well enough in other cities.
I'd just lay down a congestion tax and let the not so free market deal with it.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#217 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:00 pm

Algernon wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:25 pm
SRW wrote:
I'm not sure a congestion tax makes sense in Adelaide yet, but we should have another crack at the car park levy (though Malinauskas seems rather differently inclined than Weatherill).
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#218 Post by rev » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:11 am

SRW wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:00 pm
Algernon wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:25 pm
SRW wrote:
I'm not sure a congestion tax makes sense in Adelaide yet, but we should have another crack at the car park levy (though Malinauskas seems rather differently inclined than Weatherill).
Yes, retailers and the like would love another measure put in place that will limit the amount of people coming into the city. It will surely help their businesses keep their doors open.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#219 Post by Ben » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:21 pm

Full pdf of renders available here:

https://plan.sa.gov.au/development_appl ... d=22032404

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: 292-300 Rundle Street | 68m | 21 Levels | Mixed Use

#220 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:06 am

This is going before SCAP next week and expected to be approved.

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... hments.pdf

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#221 Post by Mpol02 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:00 pm

Still hardly exciting but better than what was proposed before

Nort

#222 Post by Nort » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:49 pm

It's not exciting, but for the location I think it's a great balance of keeping good street level vibes while adding population.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#223 Post by AG » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:33 pm

SCAP has rejected this development application.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:48 pm

The indaily article gives further reasoning for the rejection: https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/04/13/ ... -approval/

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#225 Post by HiTouch » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:06 pm

They say this development is too tall and impeding for the 2 storey location showing pictures of the render with the Adelaidean and Yugo in the background lol.
More likely reason: A political faction wants to be shown they are doing something.