[PRO] North Terrace/Morphett Street | Trinity City | ~105m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: North Terrace/Morphett Street | Trinity City | ~110m | 28 Levels | Office

#31 Post by AG » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:19 am

HiTouch wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:55 am
Algernon wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:33 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:59 pm
I think this one looks pretty nice, especially form that render looking from the north.

If this one does get off the ground, then there's goes my argument for Adelaide needing to get our first true commercial skyscraper off the ground. Not that this is a skyscraper of course, but with 61,000sqm of lettable space, this one could've easily been a true 'scraper if in a different location on a smaller block. If you put those two towers on top of each other, minus one of the podiums then you'd imagine it could be around the 180 - 200 metre mark.
Yep, 61,000sqm lettable space is huge. About 2/3 of the Rialto Towers. If it were a more slender tower, it would be pushing 160m at the absolute minimum. In this case though, for the proposed uses, small floor plates wouldn't really work.
How do they measure demand for specific sectors such as health? I can't imagine the size of this tower being a "health sector only" tower which is what they're marketing it as. Stand to be corrected though.
They might be marketing it that way with the intention of selling the development to one of the larger REITs such as Dexus or Charter Hall, I suspect.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: North Terrace/Morphett Street | Trinity City | ~110m | 28 Levels | Office

#32 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:26 am

Leasing listing is up on Real Commercial: https://www.realcommercial.com.au/for-l ... -504172019

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Prodical » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:21 pm

The office leasing sign on Morphett street.

Really hope this gets built - the West End would be v different if this + Uni SA + 1-8 North Tce eventuate
Attachments
Trinity.jpg

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:40 am

Application was lodged yesterday.
22-32 MORPHETT ST ADELAIDE SA 5000,88 NORTH TCE ADELAIDE SA 5000
UNDER ASSESSMENT
Description
Partial demolition of a Local Heritage Place, alterations and additions to a State Heritage Place and Local Heritage Place, removal of a regulated tree (Celtis laevigata) and construction of a twenty-seven (27) level building comprising offices, child care centre, ancillary gymnasium, car parking and landscaping.
Application ID

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Prodical » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:53 am

Thanks for the update, Ben - great news.

Lodged with the SCAP?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#36 Post by rev » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:19 am

Ben wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:40 am
UNDER ASSESSMENT
Description
Partial demolition of a Local Heritage Place, alterations and additions to a State Heritage Place and Local Heritage Place, removal of a regulated tree (Celtis laevigata) and construction of a twenty-seven (27) level building comprising offices, child care centre, ancillary gymnasium, car parking and landscaping.
Application ID
I had to look up what a Celtis laevigata is.
Why is a tree native to North America regulated here where permission is needed to remove it?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by Nort » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:32 am

rev wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:19 am
Ben wrote:
UNDER ASSESSMENT
Description
Application ID
Why is a tree native to North America regulated here where permission is needed to remove it?
Assume it's this one, in which case it would be the size probably.
tree.JPG

WGG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#38 Post by WGG » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:20 pm

rev wrote:
Ben wrote:
UNDER ASSESSMENT
Description
Application ID
Because it has a trunk with a circumference greater than 2.0 metres, and is not a species which is exempt from requiring development approval to remove.

WGG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#39 Post by WGG » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Prodical wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:53 am
Thanks for the update, Ben - great news.

Lodged with the SCAP?
Yes, this will be a decision by the SCAP.

rev

#40 Post by rev » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:59 pm

WGG wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:20 pm
rev wrote:
Ben wrote:

Because it has a trunk with a circumference greater than 2.0 metres, and is not a species which is exempt from requiring development approval to remove.
Yeh I got the part that it's not exempt.
Why is a species of tree native to another part of the world protected is the question. :?
What's it's significance other then a trunk circumference greater then 2m

WGG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#41 Post by WGG » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:13 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:59 pm
WGG wrote:
rev wrote:

Why is a species of tree native to another part of the world protected is the question. :?
A tree doesn't need to be native to Australia to have legislative status.
Perhaps why there is a review of regulated tree legislation currently underway.
There are dozens of unsuitable trees which end up achieving a protected status purely based on their dimensions.

An interesting read here, which will inform the Commission's findings and recommendations:
https://dit.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... Review.pdf

Interestingly, Dr Nicolle recommends that all Celtis vartieties be not excluded from the definition of regulated (where some Celtis varieties are currently excluded).

Do you have a particular disdain for Celtis species or simply because it is not native to Australia?

Nort

[PRO] Re: North Terrace/Morphett Street | Trinity City | ~105m | 27 Levels | Office

#42 Post by Nort » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:46 pm

Large trees are protected because they can take decades or even a century+ to replace.

Llessur2002

#43 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:20 pm

rev wrote:
I'll try to find the papers and link to them when I get the time but I was reading into this a few months ago. In a nutshell, deciduous (i.e. almost exclusively exotic) trees are typically superior to most Australian native trees for mitigating urban heat island effect due to their denser canopies. The one edge natives tend to have in this regard is they trap less heat at ground level overnight due to the aforementioned sparser canopy, but that's at the expense of preventing heat build-up in the first place.

In urban environments it's therefore arguable that many mature exotic trees are just as, if not more, worthy of protection (and planting) as natives.

With regards to trunk circumference, this is in most cases directly related to maturity and therefore canopy cover so it makes sense to preserve the biggest examples which have the greatest impacts.

rev

#44 Post by rev » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:20 pm

WGG wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:13 pm
rev wrote:
WGG wrote:

A tree doesn't need to be native to Australia to have legislative status.
Perhaps why there is a review of regulated tree legislation currently underway.
There are dozens of unsuitable trees which end up achieving a protected status purely based on their dimensions.

An interesting read here, which will inform the Commission's findings and recommendations:
https://dit.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... Review.pdf

Interestingly, Dr Nicolle recommends that all Celtis vartieties be not excluded from the definition of regulated (where some Celtis varieties are currently excluded).

Do you have a particular disdain for Celtis species or simply because it is not native to Australia?
It was just a question to (hopefully) get an answer to better understand why.
Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:20 pm
I'll try to find the papers and link to them when I get the time but I was reading into this a few months ago. In a nutshell, deciduous (i.e. almost exclusively exotic) trees are typically superior to most Australian native trees for mitigating urban heat island effect due to their denser canopies. The one edge natives tend to have in this regard is they trap less heat at ground level overnight due to the aforementioned sparser canopy, but that's at the expense of preventing heat build-up in the first place.

In urban environments it's therefore arguable that many mature exotic trees are just as, if not more, worthy of protection (and planting) as natives.

With regards to trunk circumference, this is in most cases directly related to maturity and therefore canopy cover so it makes sense to preserve the biggest examples which have the greatest impacts.
Thanks.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by dbl96 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:18 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:20 pm
rev wrote:

Exactly. A tree is a tree. Native trees are valuable, but so are exotic ones.

Its also worth pointing out that many "native" trees are not actually native to Adelaide. Why exactly is a tree like a lemon-scented gum (native to Queensland) more valuable than a celtis (native to North America)? Neither are from this place, and neither are part of its native ecosystem.

All large trees should be preserved at all cost, because they take so long to replace. However, we also need better protection for all other urban vegetation - smaller trees and bushes make up the majority of the urban greenery that off-sets the urban heat island effect and provides homes for wildlife.

Urban infill has become the bogeyman for decreasing urban tree cover, but as I see it, the main issue is actually with demolition practices. Often, vegetation on a building site would actually fit around what is proposed to be built. However, unless forced by law to protect particular trees, demolition contractors always completely level the block, destroying all vegetation right up to the fence-line, presumably because it is the easiest thing to do.

Rather than being able to destroy unregulated vegetation, developers should not be allowed to clear vegetation which falls outside of the footprint of the proposed building.