MATS Plan - Available Now

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

MATS Plan - Available Now

#1 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:14 pm

Hi everyone!

Happy New Year! I come bearing gifts.

I have had the famous/infamous Metropolitan Adelaide Transport Study professionally scanned in full, in colour. This includes all maps, costings, data, reports - everything.

Only requesting maps and happy for these to be in black and white, I was pleasantly surprised to find the whole document scanned in colour at no extra cost.

I can provide anyone interested with a PDF copy. Simply send me a PM and I can provide you with a download link. It's 376 pages and is 298MB.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: MATS Plan - Available Now

#2 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:17 pm

Mate, that's brilliant! Put it up on Google Drive if you have the time, that way anyone can access it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:13 pm

Howie wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:17 pm
Mate, that's brilliant! Put it up on Google Drive if you have the time, that way anyone can access it.
Perhaps the scanned images and such could be hosted on a dedicated page within S-A?

SBD

#4 Post by SBD » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:07 am

rev wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:13 pm
Howie wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:17 pm
Perhaps the scanned images and such could be hosted on a dedicated page within S-A?
Will whoever scanned it have a public hosting site? Trove is the National Library of Australia site. The State Library of SA also has a lot of material online, as does the National Archives of Australia.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by MT269 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:22 pm

By 'available now', this gives the impression that you have provided a link to enable it to be viewed. This is not the case.

If you want to control/limit the distribution, then say so. Otherwise I cannot figure out a valid reason to require a PM to be sent in order to access it.

ChillyPhilly

#6 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:07 pm

MT269 wrote:By 'available now', this gives the impression that you have provided a link to enable it to be viewed. This is not the case.

If you want to control/limit the distribution, then say so. Otherwise I cannot figure out a valid reason to require a PM to be sent in order to access it.
Thanks for the very righteous reply to something I've done for everyone out of my own time and pocket.

But to respond, I had concerns from the scanning business regarding copyright. I haven't yet had a chance to look into it. I'll most likely provide a link here directly soon.

Nathan

#7 Post by Nathan » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:58 pm

MT269 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:22 pm
By 'available now', this gives the impression that you have provided a link to enable it to be viewed. This is not the case.

Could have sent a PM in the same amount of time as it took to post this entitled rant.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:18 pm

Libgen will happily host an online copy of the MATS plan.
http://libgen.is/

ChillyPhilly

#9 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:52 pm

I have had a chance to gloss over copyright laws and I think I'm good to publicly share a link in the name of 'research'.

It's just a OneDrive link, and would be good to upload to Libgen and elsewhere in due course.

Here it is!

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjrBCiBZ6dfhjFLHicE ... r?e=e8qCDL

Nort

#10 Post by Nort » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:22 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:52 pm
I have had a chance to gloss over copyright laws and I think I'm good to publicly share a link in the name of 'research'.

It's just a OneDrive link, and would be good to upload to Libgen and elsewhere in due course.

Here it is!

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjrBCiBZ6dfhjFLHicE ... r?e=e8qCDL
Lots of interesting things from skimming through that, thanks!

The population growth predictions seemed to assume that the post-WW2 rates would continue. The predictions for SA's 1990 population in this plan are higher than the actual 2023 population!

Nort

#11 Post by Nort » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:24 pm

popGrowth.JPG

[Shuz]

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:19 pm

The mapping for the Hills Freeway is really interesting. It's absolute sheer insanity what they were proposing.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#13 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:08 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:19 pm
The mapping for the Hills Freeway is really interesting. It's absolute sheer insanity what they were proposing.
It's crazy! It was easily the most controversial aspect of the plan, along with the Hindmarsh Interchange. The eastern suburbs would have been a vastly different place if the Hills Freeway was built. Even nowadays, a tunnel would be controversial enough around there. It's interesting that the Hills Freeway (and more so along with the Foothills Expressway) partly follows the rough 'Short South' suggestion for a new freight link between the SE Freeway and South Road.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:10 pm

Be interesting to see a break down of public transport usage by purpose.
On page 4 of the document, in 1965 45% was for work, 12.2% for shopping, 22% for school, 6% social, 6.2% other, 8% personal business.
Another interesting fact that should be compared, if possible, is cars per dwelling. Page 37. Apparently most areas had under 1.0, and the weighted average was 0.92 cars per dwelling.

Hills Freeway looks like it would have cut into the suburbs to the east of Fularton Road.
Perhaps a little overkill.

IMHO the single biggest missed opportunity for Adelaide. It would have accelerated growth. If you look to the north where they built the northern expressway, it's starting to fill up with housing, multiple developments and more will follow. A good chunk of our population growth will be in those areas.

What would Adelaide be like today if this had happened half a century ago. More prosperous perhaps.
Bigger population, more pull in Canberra.

The public transport side of MATS is something I think is mostly over looked, we always focus on the freeways lol. Another lost opportunity. Looks like many of the station upgrades would have had substantial park and ride facilities.

Thanks for getting it scanned and sharing it ChillyPhilly.

Llessur2002

#15 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:10 am

Thanks very much for sharing this and for the time taken to get it scanned.

Whilst there are sensible elements, mostly around public transport, much of it feels like overkill, even with modern traffic volumes. For example I can't see the need will ever exist for a combined eight lanes of freeway and surface roads to cover the 6km distance between Port Adelaide and Hindmarsh. Port Road as it stands today is actually quite nice for a six lane road, especially since the landscaping of the wide median has been completed. Having that entire space occupied by concrete and bitumen would look terrible, as well as doing nothing to mitigate against rising temperatures.

I'll take current Adelaide over MATS Adelaide any day.