[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
abc
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 187m | 39+lvls | Mixed Use

#376 Post by abc » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:37 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:39 pm
I maintain that the taper needs to more prominent so that it's obvious in silhouette. Far too subtle in the current design.
more like a pyramid to remind us who the masons are

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#377 Post by MicBara » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:51 pm

Hey all, been a while since I've provided an update. We've really been focused on finalizing the non-building aspects (finance, structure, tax etc).
An big announcement will come out in the next week or two.
Regarding the comments of a more severe taper /pyramid "look" towards the top:
Yeah, nah. We want to maximize the space at the top of the building because it will be a public observatory and you need a bit of room to deliver something really amazing.
I do appreciate the desire from some for a more "bold" or dramatic design but to be honest, our state just needs more tall buildings period to reduce the need for churning up green space, farm land and homes for wildlife.

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#378 Post by Prodical » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:13 am

That is good news - I was starting to be concerned that the proposal was dormant, like so many others appear to be.

The new Masonic building would become the landmark of the city - the highest structure, a simple, pleasant design and really accessible to the public.

Good luck finishing the documentation and very much hoping this project goes ahead.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#379 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:24 pm

MicBara wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:51 pm
Hey all, been a while since I've provided an update. We've really been focused on finalizing the non-building aspects (finance, structure, tax etc).
Yeah, nah. We want to maximize the space at the top of the building because it will be a public observatory and you need a bit of room to deliver something really amazing.
I do appreciate the desire from some for a more "bold" or dramatic design but to be honest, our state just needs more tall buildings period to reduce the need for churning up green space, farm land and homes for wildlife.
YES!!

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#380 Post by Mpol02 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:03 pm

North terrace is already looking stacked. With this potentially happening, it will be a true landmark area for the city.

Also very glad to have this block out the awful cement student block.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#381 Post by Ben » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:06 pm

MicBara wrote:
Thanks Mic for the update. Any word on the final height :D

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#382 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:38 pm

MicBara wrote:
Hi mate, thanks for the update.

However, I doubt a tall building will reduce any of these things you mentioned. The Adelaide CBD is huge and grossly undeveloped, so I doubt it will save any green space elsewhere. Appreciate the sentiment though, hopefully we see a crane or two on site by the end of the year.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#383 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:52 pm

Media have started posting articles in the last hour, can't access it though

Anyone have subscriptions to the herald sun/The Australian?

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscr ... our=append

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/f ... 83c1102902

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#384 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:20 pm

From the Advertiser

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 83c1102902

Freemasons reveal expanded plans for Adelaide’s first skyscraper

The Freemasons have expanded their plans to build Adelaide’s first skyscraper – and recruited a well-known property magnate to make their $400m vision a reality.

The Freemasons have expanded their bold plan to build Adelaide’s first skyscraper and joined forces with property magnate Ross Pelligra to make their $400m vision a reality.

Original designs unveiled in 2021 included a $120m tower scaling 160m behind heritage-listed Freemasons Hall on North Tce, with spaces for a hotel, student accommodation, offices and rooftop restaurant with public viewing platform.

The Freemasons’ local SA/NT branch is now looking to build a tower rising up to 183m, eclipsing Adelaide’s current tallest building – the Crowne Plaza hotel on Frome St – by 45m.

A skyscraper is generally accepted as being a building exceeding 150m in height.

Dubbed ‘Keystone Tower’, the expanded project would cost about $300m to build and would have an end value of $400m.

The Adelaide Museum of South Australia’s History (AMoSAH) has been earmarked for most of the space within the original heritage building and five levels of the new tower.

A preliminary business case commissioned by the History Trust, which identified Keystone Tower as the preferred location for AMoSAH, suggests it would attract up to a million visitations every year.

The Freemasons and the History Trust are in talks with the state government to fund a full business case for AMoSAH, which would showcase artefacts and significant South Australian items that have not had a dedicated place for display.

Michael Baragwanath, a consultant on the Keystone Tower project, said he was hopeful the state government would provide the financial support needed to bring the museum concept to life.

“We’re pushing really hard to try to make it happen because we think it’s just a missing piece of our state’s cultural boulevard,” he said.

“And we’re willing to fund 100 per cent of the construction costs for the museum, and then lease it to the government. We’d be willing to go that far.”

A full business case would cost about $1m, while ongoing costs to run the museum, including leasing expenses, would cost the state government about $6.5m a year.

History Trust chief executive Greg Mackie said a museum dedicated to the state’s social history had been in the group’s sights since it was established in 1981.

“We still do not have a museum dedicated to South Australia’s social history, and by social I don’t just mean society – I mean, business, economics, environment, etc.,” he said.

“It would be an act of great political leadership for this to be realised.”

Meanwhile Melbourne-based Pelligra Group has been chosen to partner with the Freemasons on the Keystone Tower project, which remains subject to the approval of the local Freemasons membership.

The revised designs incorporate a 240-room hotel, conference facilities, a business lounge, wellness retreat and three-storey observation deck.

Around $8m will be spent restoring Freemasons Hall – one of Adelaide’s grandest heritage buildings, which opened on North Tce in 1927.

Planning approvals for the project are expected to be lodged in May ahead of a “grand communication” in June involving a vote of around 1800 Freemasons members.

Mr Baragwanath said the development was fully funded through a managed investment scheme arranged by TIP Group, with construction likely to begin early next year.

“Part of the funding will be an offshore bank – the rest of it will actually probably be the Freemasons themselves – a lot of it is self-funded by the Freemasons,” he said.

“It’s in the interests of the Freemasons to try to control as much as they can themselves. For me it’s all about making sure that the membership organisation receives the maximum share of profit they can because they are going to donate it to charity.”

Under the funding model the Freemasons would retain more than 50 per cent ownership of the building, allowing it to boost its annual donations to not-for-profit organisations from $2.6m to more than $5m.

Freemasons SA/NT grand master David Booker said the tower project would also raise much needed funds for the restoration of Freemasons Hall after ‘extensive concrete cancer’ was discovered in the building in 2020.

“The protection of the building’s heritage is paramount to the organisation, and we are dedicated to preserving the appeal and access to the building,” he said.

“Keystone will drive us to new heights and place our fraternity in a position where we expect to be able to donate more than $5m every year to make a tangible and long-lasting difference to our communities.”

Since acquiring the former Holden site at Elizabeth in 2017, Pelligra Group has become one of the most active investors in Adelaide, rapidly expanding its portfolio of office buildings, health precincts, industrial sites and development projects including the $60m Holiday Inn hotel at Mawson Lakes.

Mr Pelligra said a shortlist of luxury hotel operators was being considered for the Freemasons site, which would become a city landmark.

“The Keystone Tower development is an opportunity to create a landmark building inspired by

classical architecture that will enrich the lives of South Australians and visitors alike by offering a beautiful and meaningful addition to Adelaide’s skyline.”

A state government spokeswoman said it was focused on delivering the new $200m Aboriginal art and culture centre at Lot Fourteen.

“The government’s current priority for the History Trust is to grow visitor numbers and school participation at its existing fantastic museums – which will enhance the knowledge and appreciation of South Australian history,” she said.

“Ensuring we first deliver on the vision for a landmark centre for First Nations cultures at Lot Fourteen is critically important. It is important this is resolved before the government considers any other new museums.”

The government recently contributed $4.2m to support the History Trust’s relocation to a new headquarters at Security House on North Tce.

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 42 Levels | Mixed Use

#385 Post by Cryptic » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:11 pm

With these additional stakeholders on the project, I am actually optimistic this will go up.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#386 Post by Algernon » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:28 pm

Having the timeline dependant on the SA government umming and ahhing over a museum really scares me though.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#387 Post by floplo » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:48 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:20 pm

Did the Advertiser just update the infographic without getting the proportions right? The corresponding part of the museum looks much more than 5 levels....

And they have to be missing some office levels, otherwise adds up to just over 30 or so levels, clearly not enough for 183m height.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#388 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:58 pm

I know the AMoSAH is 5 double levels so 10 levels in height. It is probably 38 levels still including just 5 for the museum.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#389 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:23 pm

smh, it shrunk

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#390 Post by Nort » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:41 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:23 pm
smh, it shrunk
Nope, I think you'll find this proposal is much bigger than what is on site at the moment.