[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

#706 Post by SBD » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:51 pm

MT269 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 pm
In regards to the development in this vicinity, can I suggest renaming some more shopping precincts after nearby suburbs? Just in order to continue the trend of inaccuracy.

'Marion' shopping centre is more suited to being named Sturt, or Oaklands. The actual suburb of Marion is at least a mile north east, and is served by a train station that is in a remote location. I wonder how many actually alight here, expecting to have a short walk to the shops, only to find that they're over 1.5 kms away.

I have no idea about the origin of Arndale. But perhaps it could be renamed Westfield Croydon to match up with the inaccuracy further south. The J8 service is the only connection to the Arndale precinct.

I don't understand why the one at West Lakes is accurately reflective of the suburb. Was this a mistake?
Munno Para Shopping City is in Smithfield. The suburb of Munno Para is further north in two parts. The eastern 1970s part had a small local shopping centre. The newer 2010s part west of the railway line has Woolworths Playford in a building that is apparently the "Munno Para Marketplace" but I had to look it up as it's generally "the Playford Shops".

Smithfield Railway Station is about 650m from Munno Para Shopping City and 2.1km from Munno Para Marketplace, which is 1.8km from Munno Para station.

ChillyPhilly

#707 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:47 pm

MT269 wrote:
In regards to the development in this vicinity, can I suggest renaming some more shopping precincts after nearby suburbs? Just in order to continue the trend of inaccuracy.

'Marion' shopping centre is more suited to being named Sturt, or Oaklands. The actual suburb of Marion is at least a mile north east, and is served by a train station that is in a remote location. I wonder how many actually alight here, expecting to have a short walk to the shops, only to find that they're over 1.5 kms away.

I have no idea about the origin of Arndale. But perhaps it could be renamed Westfield Croydon to match up with the inaccuracy further south. The J8 service is the only connection to the Arndale precinct.

I don't understand why the one at West Lakes is accurately reflective of the suburb. Was this a mistake?
Westfield 'Marion' comes from the local council area name, the City of Marion.

I also completely agree about changing the station name and improving pedestrian access to and from. It is currently quite poor, especially crossing Diagonal Road.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#708 Post by mattwinter » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:28 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:47 pm
MT269 wrote:

I also completely agree about changing the station name and improving pedestrian access to and from. It is currently quite poor, especially crossing Diagonal Road.
I think I recall that when they did the Oaklands Station underpass they did a community consultation about changing station names for Oaklands and Marion station but decided to keep them as is?

bits
Legendary Member!

[PRO] [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

#709 Post by bits » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:25 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote: Westfield 'Marion' comes from the local council area name, the City of Marion.
Which is exactly like Tea Tree Plaza which is in Modbury but within Tea Tree Gully council area.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#710 Post by Norman » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:08 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:47 pm
MT269 wrote:

Pedestrian access was improved over the last 2 years to better connect Oaklands Station to the Marion precinct, including the Cultural Centre and the swimming centre. A new pedestrian crossing will be built next to the Cultural Centre over the next year or so to complete the connection.

Any improvement to the connection to the shopping centre is up to Westfield as they own the land.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#711 Post by MT269 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:33 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:51 pm
Munno Para Shopping City is in Smithfield. The suburb of Munno Para is further north in two parts. The eastern 1970s part had a small local shopping centre. The newer 2010s part west of the railway line has Woolworths Playford in a building that is apparently the "Munno Para Marketplace" but I had to look it up as it's generally "the Playford Shops".

Smithfield Railway Station is about 650m from Munno Para Shopping City and 2.1km from Munno Para Marketplace, which is 1.8km from Munno Para station.
Was this precinct named such to reduce adversity towards it? I had a feeling that Munno Para was further north. Veering off topic again. But I'd rather not create another thread that advocates unrealistic or unpopular objectives, such as adjusting names for minimal benefits.

It may be appropriate to rename the Oaklands Park area to Marion, with the current suburb of Marion being renamed to something new, along with the train station. Several suburbs in Adelaide have already endured this over the years. It would simplify things, for minimal if any financial gain. But with a degree of linearity, and reducing confusion.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#712 Post by cocoiadrop » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:02 am

I don't think Marion itself should be renamed. The centre of Marion has significant history after European settlement and is tied to the name.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#713 Post by neoballmon » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:35 pm

The standalone Coles just north of Marion was renamed from Oaklands Park to Warradale after its renovations to avoid the confusion between that store and Westfield Marion being in Oaklands Park.

Also, both the Woodcroft shopping Centre and Southgate Plaza (commonly referred to as Reynella, and I know on paper, the Coles is called Reynella) are both located on their respective suburb borders, but lie on the Morphett Vale side.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#714 Post by Spotto » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:10 am

neoballmon wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:35 pm
The standalone Coles just north of Marion was renamed from Oaklands Park to Warradale after its renovations to avoid the confusion between that store and Westfield Marion being in Oaklands Park.
Considering it’s located in the suburb of Warradale and is right opposite the Warradale Hotel, it makes perfect sense.

Was it really named after a different suburb?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

#715 Post by neoballmon » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:29 pm

Spotto wrote:
neoballmon wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:35 pm
Considering it’s located in the suburb of Warradale and is right opposite the Warradale Hotel, it makes perfect sense.

Was it really named after a different suburb?
Yeah not sure why it was called Oaklands Park. Probably didn't matter back in it's Bilo days, but once it became Coles, it got confusing.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

SBD

#716 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:47 am

MT269 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:33 pm
SBD wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:51 pm

Was this precinct named such to reduce adversity towards it? I had a feeling that Munno Para was further north. Veering off topic again. But I'd rather not create another thread that advocates unrealistic or unpopular objectives, such as adjusting names for minimal benefits.

It may be appropriate to rename the Oaklands Park area to Marion, with the current suburb of Marion being renamed to something new, along with the train station. Several suburbs in Adelaide have already endured this over the years. It would simplify things, for minimal if any financial gain. But with a degree of linearity, and reducing confusion.
Sorry for the slow response over the Christmas period...

Munno Para Shopping City was the largest shopping centre ("regional") in the City of Munno Para when it was built in the 1990s, extending what had been a stand-alone Bilo in the middle of nowhere, but not too far from the City Council offices.

Both the City (formerly District Council) of Munno Para and the 1970s suburb north of Smithfield were named for the 1846 Hundred of Munno Para.

The City of Munno Para merged with the City of Elizabeth in 1997 to form the City of Playford, and the former council offices are now an aged care facility.

Nort

#717 Post by Nort » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 am

Bowland is now closed.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#718 Post by cocoiadrop » Mon May 08, 2023 10:46 am

According to a texter on 891 ABC Adelaide the Oaklands Park post office at Westfield Marion is set to close down due to rising rent

Edit: and the local MP: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=25 ... 8199095279

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#719 Post by pushbutton » Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:54 am
MT269 wrote:
It's actually got a vaguely interesting history - being the first covered shopping centre in Australia to be air conditioned. From Wikipedia:
Armada Arndale was first opened in 1963.[1] It was built for the UK Development company Arndale Property Trust. It was the first in Australia of a chain of shopping centres by the Arndale development group, the other being Westfield Marion. It was the first fully enclosed shopping centre in Australia to have air conditioning.
There were four Arndale centres in Australia - two in Adelaide (this one and Marion, now Westfield), one in NSW and one in QLD and 20-odd in the UK. Being some of the first American-style malls they were a pretty big thing back in the 60s/70s and as far as I know the Armada Arndale here and the much larger Manchester Arndale in the UK are the last two to still carry the Arndale name.

There's numerous Arndale centres in England that still have the Arndale name, and the one in Queensland does too.

Llessur2002

#720 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:05 am

pushbutton wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am
There's numerous Arndale centres in England that still have the Arndale name.
It looks like there are a couple more than I thought - but I wouldn't really say they are numerous.

According to Wikipedia there were 23 Arndales built in the UK in total, most of which seem to have been demolished or renamed now. From what I can see there's just Accrington, Manchester and Morecambe left as true shopping centres.

There are also buildings known as Arndale House in Liverpool and Shipley but they are not shopping centres - the former being a relatively newly built student accommodation building (presumably built where an old Arndale centre used to be located).

The full list is:

Aberdeen – now known as Mastrick Shopping Centre
Accrington, Arndale House – built in 1961 on Broadway; Arndale Centre opened October 1987[4]
Blackburn Arndale House – demolished in 2008 for the extension of The Mall Blackburn
Bolton – now known as Crompton Place Shopping Centre
Bradford – now known as Kirkgate Shopping Centre
Dartford – now known as Priory Shopping Centre
Doncaster – now known as Frenchgate Shopping Centre
Eastbourne – now known as The Beacon[5]
Jarrow – now known as the Viking Centre
Keighley – now known as the Airedale Centre
Lancaster – demolished to make way for a market building,[6] later replaced by a Primark store
Leeds, Armley – shopping precinct no longer carries a name; shop addresses usually referred to as Town Street
Leeds, Cross Gates – now known as Crossgates Shopping Centre
Leeds, Headingley – now known as Headingley Central
Liverpool – Arndale House on Pembroke Road
Longbenton – on West Farm Avenue, Newcastle upon Tyne. Built in 1962 and demolished in 2004
Luton – purchased in 2006 by The Mall Company, and now known as The Mall Luton
Manchester – the largest of the Arndale Centres
Middleton – now known as Middleton Shopping Centre
Morecambe – on Market Street
Nelson – now known as the Pendle Rise Shopping Centre, previously Admiral Shopping Centre
Nottingham – known as the Broadmarsh Centre, now demolished
Poole – now known as the Dolphin Shopping Centre
Shipley – on Market Street
Sunderland – on High Street West
Stretford – now known as Stretford Mall
Wandsworth – now known as Southside
Wellingborough – now known as Swansgate Shopping Centre

So of around 27 Arndale centres which originally existed in the UK and Australia, the Arndale in Kilkenny is one of maybe 5 remaining which carry the name.