[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Hooligan
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5986 Post by Hooligan » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 pm

Westside wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:36 pm
Hooligan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm
SBD wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:39 am
Bored tunnels clearly result in the least disruption to the surface above them. I'm disappointed that once it's all finished, the trip to the airport from the north will use less of the motorway than we do now, as we will have to use the exit before Port Road.
Im sure there are plans for an airport connection from Richmond road further down the line.
The main issue is with the usability of the connections. From the airport to head north on the motorway you have to remember to head south to Richmond rd and join the motorway there. To head south you have to remember to head north to Sir Donald Bradman to then join the motorway from there.

From a user's perspective having vastly different paths to join the motorway depending on your direction of travel o ly causes unnecessary confusion.
Or you could always just pay attention to those great big green signs they have on roadsides or even better yet, just punch your destination into your cars built in GPS and follow that. By 2031 the vast majority of road users would have that in their vehicles.

Going up to go down and vice versa is a non issue

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5987 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:39 pm

I think most people, visitors especially, won't head in a particular compass direction when leaving the airport - they'll just follow the signage. Even for locals it'll only take one trip to the airport with the new road configuration before they'd learn and memorise the best route home.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5988 Post by neoballmon » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 pm

Hooligan wrote:
I get off the Southern Expressway (southbound) at the Panalatinga exit and turn left to head back to Lander Road all the time, and it doesn't bother me. Much easier than dealing with the Marion/Seacombe lights.
Since the Darlington works completed, I've noticed many more do it now too.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5989 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:49 am

neoballmon wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 pm
Hooligan wrote:
I get off the Southern Expressway (southbound) at the Panalatinga exit and turn left to head back to Lander Road all the time, and it doesn't bother me. Much easier than dealing with the Marion/Seacombe lights.

The Majors Rd entry/exit will be a game changer for you then.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5990 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:14 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
neoballmon wrote:
Hooligan wrote:

Definitely. Even better for northbound because I don't even have an option to access the motorway until Darlington at the moment

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#5991 Post by Vasco » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 pm

neoballmon wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:
neoballmon wrote:

Definitely. Even better for northbound because I don't even have an option to access the motorway until Darlington at the moment

I thought the Libs / Spears said it was a useless upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5992 Post by aceman » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:08 pm

Vasco wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 pm
neoballmon wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:

I thought the Libs / Spears said it was a useless upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The libs said it was a priority when they were in government. They quickly changed their tune when labor made the upgrade part of their election campaign with the feds. All of a sudden it was a waste of taxpayers money. Spears even posted a video on YouTube with him driving down the southern expressway claiming it was long overdue.

[Shuz]

#5993 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:01 pm

Spiers won't be around much longer. Wouldn't be surprised if Marshall makes a 2nd tilt at the leadership.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#5994 Post by A-Town » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:07 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:01 pm
Spiers won't be around much longer. Wouldn't be surprised if Marshall makes a 2nd tilt at the leadership.
I reckon Marshall is more likely to step away from politics altogether rather than have another go at being leader.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#5995 Post by Jaymz » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:01 pm
That will never happen, Marshall that is.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#5996 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:25 pm

They're now up to 3 lanes out of commission at Darlington northbound (2 isolated by conrete barriers for workers and contruction vehicles, one coned off to keep people off the conrete fence), and they have ripped out almost every concrete panel between the rail bridge and Sturt Rd, including the ones they already replaced last time.

Things going really well.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5997 Post by aceman » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:23 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:25 pm
They're now up to 3 lanes out of commission at Darlington northbound (2 isolated by conrete barriers for workers and contruction vehicles, one coned off to keep people off the conrete fence), and they have ripped out almost every concrete panel between the rail bridge and Sturt Rd, including the ones they already replaced last time.

makes no difference to the outcome. 600 metres down the road everyone’s funnelled back into 2 lanes of suburbia.
Last edited by aceman on Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#5998 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:25 pm

aceman wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:23 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:25 pm

make no difference to the outcome. 600 metres down the road everyone’s funnelled back into 2 lanes of suburbia.
If you want to think of it that way, technically speaking it's 4 lanes of suburbia, 2 each on South Rd and Ayliffes Rd, and I go Ayliffes.

The speed limit is reduced to 40 and the on ramp at Darlington down to a single lane, the traffic is backing up quite a lot even in the early morning before peak, no eta on the fix.

Looks like it's going to be expensive too.

[Shuz]

#5999 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:51 pm

Article in today's Advertiser about tolls for N-S Motorway. If anyone has access can they please share the article?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6000 Post by rev » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:14 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:51 pm
Article in today's Advertiser about tolls for N-S Motorway. If anyone has access can they please share the article?
Property Council SA’s Bruce Djite recommends North-South corridor toll

Would a toll road fast-track the final stage of the North-South Corridor? New Property Council boss Bruce Djite thinks it’s time to debate the idea.
Giuseppe Tauriello

@gtauriello
4 min read
February 10, 2023 - 4:00PM

Bold thinking, starting with a proper debate about the merits of using a toll road to fast-track the final stage of the North-South corridor, is what the state needs to flourish amid the current economic malaise, according to new Property Council SA boss Bruce Djite.

In his first interview since starting his new job last week, Mr Djite has challenged the state government to think outside the square as it faces a global war for talent in the aftermath of Covid.

Mr Djite said there were key areas where strong leadership from the state government was needed, including on the contentious Torrens to Darlington road project and on reining in Adelaide’s urban sprawl.

Delays and redesigns have blown out the cost of T2D to $15.4bn, and Mr Djite said it was time to consider getting the private sector involved in order to make the project a reality.

“South Australia needs to elevate and have more mature conversations relating to infrastructure funding – it should not be taboo to say toll road here, because we’re talking about a $15bn road,” he said.

“Politically it’s hard to prosecute a toll road but we need leadership. A $700m hydrogen plan, merging the unis, LIV Golf are a few examples where we have seen leadership from government.

“But it should also be bipartisan, that’s how they do it. We have to make a choices. Do we want a complex economy, a knowledge economy, investing money in the best and brightest minds that are going to create economic value? Or do we want to spend $15bn on bitumen?”

Revised designs for T2D, revealed in December, came in at a cost of $15.4bn, up from the former Liberal government’s $9.9bn plan in 2021. The state government is in talks with the Commonwealth to top up its commitment and maintain a 50:50 funding split.

The state government has consistently ruled out implementing a user-pay system to finance the project, arguing motorists would avoid the toll road, thereby further congesting the surrounding road network.

Infrastructure and Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis said the state government remained opposed to private-sector involvement in the T2D project, despite the budget blowout, worsening economic conditions and a tightening of the federal purse.

“The state Labor government has no intention to introduce toll roads on the North-South Corridor or anywhere else. They simply would not work for this project,” he said.

“Nor is the government exploring options for private-sector financing of the project – taxpayers pay taxes, in part, to fund essential motorways such as this one, and this will be a government-funded and delivered project.”

An opposition spokesman said it too was opposed to the use of toll roads in South Australia.

Staunch political opposition locally contrasts with the eastern seaboard, where states have used toll roads to fund a number of major road infrastructure projects.

The country’s largest toll road operator Transurban, which runs Melbourne’s CityLink, Brisbane’s Gateway Motorway and Sydney’s Westlink M7 Motorway, reported this week that a record number of motorists were using its Australian network, with more than 80 per cent of its customers spending less than $10 a week on tolls.

The company’s chief executive Scott Charlton said while toll roads may not necessarily be the answer in Adelaide, where there is less congestion than larger east-coast cities, there were other innovations the private sector could bring to major projects.

“Tolls in someplace like Adelaide, where the congestion is only for shorter periods of time, probably makes it difficult to support a road by itself,” he said.

“But I think getting the private sector involved in some capacity can always be a positive thing by getting innovation, getting a different way of looking at things.

“There’s different things like availability payments, innovative things around operation and maintenance, and other arrangements that can be put in place to provide that innovative thinking and better delivery.”

Availability charges refer to an arrangement where a private company is responsible for financing, operating and maintaining a road, and in return is paid a set charge over time by the government.

Mr Djite, a former footballer with Adelaide United, took the reins as Property Council SA executive director last week after a year and a half heading up the Committee for Adelaide.

With CBD office vacancies sitting at a six-year high of 16.1 per cent, and more city-based workers choosing to work from home, Mr Djite said reactivating the CBD was a key issue facing the industry.

With the state government in the process of rewriting the city’s 30-year plan, he wants to see a greater push for population growth in the CBD and for more housing in the city and inner suburbs.

“We’ve got to reimagine the CBD and especially in Adelaide we need to densify where people live – businesses within the CBD should be more than economically viable as a result of residents’ spending alone,” he said.

“We need more infill development. Look at Bowden. Notwithstanding the time it has taken to build out the site, it is a great example of what is required, and with the West End brewery site I’m hoping to see a lot of residential and a mixed-use precinct being developed there.

“When you get well-planned infill you get vibrancy, you get good economic, social, cultural and community growth and outcomes, you get economies of scale – it’s just better all round economically.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... our=append