News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

#1996 Post by Spotto » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:13 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:35 pm
roll back privatisation (even though nothing has been "privatised"...outsourcing of management is a total different beast to privatisation)
It may not be a hard privatisation (i.e. selling off a public asset in full), but it's still a form of privatisation.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1997 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:20 am

cocoiadrop wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:27 pm
The rollout of debit card payments on the O-Bahn, in my anecdotal experience, is already a disaster. Every time I see someone attempt to use it (bar one) the machine rejects their card.

"On demand" buses in the suburbs is also another gadgetbahn tier project. Just improve the base service and see the benefits.

In regards to privatisation of operation, this is a very good point that I discussed in a political forum recently. Bringing buses/trains/trams into public operation still isn't going to change that the service is operated on the same contract DIT currently gives to the private operators. In the current system there's no reason for operators to innovate, and without some initiative from DIT it will be much the same in public hands. SAPTA won't do much either, they're a sitting duck with no funding.
I can't vouch for success of card payments on the O-Bahn, but this system in itself needs improvements.

Agree about the 'On Demand' buses. I'd like to see some data showing how successful these services have been, and how they have helped to mobilise the areas they serve. Improving baseline services and integrating this with local infrastructure, general travel patterns and land uses is the best way forward.

Re: privatisation, I disagree. Since Keolis Downer took over operations, there has been a clear decline in punctuality of services, both inbound to and outbound of the CBD. This has worsened significantly in recent weeks. See also below.
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:29 pm
Keolis Downer really suck.

Services on the Seaford line have become a bit of a mess with sticking to timetable, along with ARS arrival and departure.

Looking forward to that contract going in the bin.
At least two evening outbound peak services for the Seaford line today:
- Did not depart on time.
- Subsequently asked passengers to vacate the respective railcars and move to a different one.
- Were delayed by 20 and 6 minutes respectively.

No reason was provided.

Seaford arrivals tend to now dump passengers on Platform 1. This is not ideal as it is the narrowest of all platforms and funnels commuters into narrow passages between the wall and support columns.

I'm not sure what is going on in the Adelaide Yard, but a responsible person for this may not be so competent.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#1998 Post by cocoiadrop » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:47 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:20 am
Re: privatisation, I disagree. Since Keolis Downer took over operations, there has been a clear decline in punctuality of services, both inbound to and outbound of the CBD. This has worsened significantly in recent weeks. See also below.
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:29 pm
Keolis Downer really suck.

Services on the Seaford line have become a bit of a mess with sticking to timetable, along with ARS arrival and departure.

Looking forward to that contract going in the bin.
At least two evening outbound peak services for the Seaford line today:
- Did not depart on time.
- Subsequently asked passengers to vacate the respective railcars and move to a different one.
- Were delayed by 20 and 6 minutes respectively.

No reason was provided.

Seaford arrivals tend to now dump passengers on Platform 1. This is not ideal as it is the narrowest of all platforms and funnels commuters into narrow passages between the wall and support columns.

I'm not sure what is going on in the Adelaide Yard, but a responsible person for this may not be so competent.
Fair enough here. I think if services were like this back under the office of the rail commissioner it would be a lot easier for public and political pressure. My point was more in regards to the service targets and what services are meant to be provided. I'm rather worried DIT will take control of operation again and say "job done" and do nothing else to actually improve services, like introduce better Sunday timetables at the very least now that Labor's shop trading laws are in.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#1999 Post by cocoiadrop » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:48 pm

Fares to raise by 4.9% from $4.05 to $4.25 for peak regular metroCARD fares and from $107 to $112.1 for a 28 day regular pass. Presumably there will be a similar raise for the other fare types but that's whats in the budget papers.

ChillyPhilly

#2000 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:38 am

For anyone interested, AITPM has organised a free event as follows.

SA | Beyond the Big Build: The Next Era of Transport in South Australia

Wednesday 28 June 2023, 5.00pm - 7.00pmACST (Adel)

Location: Arup, Mezzanine Level, 182 Victoria Square, Adelaide, SA, 5000

About this event
The South Australia branch of the Australian Institute of Traffic Planning and Management (AITPM) and Arup present "Beyond the Big Build: Shaping the Future of Transport in South Australia" - an engaging and thought-provoking event that will delve into the exciting possibilities and challenges that lie ahead in shaping the transport landscape of South Australia.

Panellists:

Jeremy Conway, Chief Executive | Infrastructure SA
Tom King, Associate Principal – Transport Planning | Arup
Russell Troup, Director – Transport Strategy and Network Planning | Department for Infrastructure and Transport

The format of the event will be a highly interactive Question and Answer style amongst the MC, panellists and the audience.

Topics of discussion will include but not limited to:

How sustainable is South Australia’s current transport system and what should the future of transport in Adelaide and SA look like?

What innovative solutions can South Australia implement to promote multi-modal transportation and reduce reliance on private cars?

Looking beyond the completion of South Road corridor, how can South Australia incentivise the use of public transportation and decrease private car usage to mitigate traffic congestion and reduce carbon emissions?

How can South Australia encourage the use of active transportation, such as walking and cycling, to improve public health and reduce congestion?

What impact will autonomous vehicles have on the urban landscape of South Australia, and how can we ensure their integration benefits all members of society?

What are the potential social and economic impacts of the widespread adoption of electric vehicles in South Australia, and how can we prepare for this transition?

What steps can be taken to create a more inclusive and accessible transport system for people with disabilities in South Australia?

What role can smart cities and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies play in optimising the efficiency and sustainability of South Australia's transport infrastructure?

How can South Australia leverage renewable energy sources to power a sustainable transport system, and what role can hydrogen fuel cells play in this transition?

Head here to register and read more: https://www.aitpm.com.au/email/2ff46ef9 ... 12772392e3
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PeFe

#2001 Post by PeFe » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:56 am

New fare details
MetroTicket type

Peak travel time

Off-peak travel time

Regular fares and tickets
Regular metroCARD (rechargeable)

Illustrated representation of an Adelaide Metro regular metroCARD. It is blue and shows the round Adelaide Metro logo, the words regular and validate each boarding. It has white icons depicting a bus, train and tram.

$4.05

$2.25

Singletrip MetroTicket

Metroticket: white cardboard ticket with blue arrows

$5.90

$4.00

Tap and Pay

A fake bank card with generic card details that are not useable

$4.05

$2.25

Daytrip MetroTicket

Metroticket Daytrip: white cardboard ticket with blue arrows

$11.20

Concession fares and tickets
Concession metroCARD (rechargeable)

Illustrated representation of an Adelaide Metro concession metroCARD. It is green and shows the round Adelaide Metro logo, the words concession and validate each boarding. It has white icons depicting a bus, train and tram.

$2.00

$1.10

Concession Singletrip MetroTicket

$3.00

$1.40

Concession Daytrip MetroTicket

$5.60

Seniors Card

Illustrated representation of a South Australian Seniors Card. It is white, navy and gold, and has a small Adelaide Metro logo on it to show it is also a metroCARD

FREE

FREE

Student fares and tickets
Student metroCARD (rechargeable)

Illustrated representation of an Adelaide Metro student metroCARD. It is yellow and shows the round Adelaide Metro logo, the words student and validate each boarding. It has white icons depicting a bus, train and tram.

$1.40

$1.10

Student Singletrip MetroTicket

$3.00

$1.40

Student Daytrip MetroTicket

$5.60

14 and 28 day passes
14-day pass on a metroCARD

$64.50

28-day pass on a metroCARD

$107.00

Concession 14-day pass on a metroCARD

$32.20

Concession 28-day pass on a metroCARD

$53.50

Student 14-day pass on a metroCARD

$16.10

Student 28-day pass on a metroCARD

$26.50

More information
All about Adelaide Metro regular fares
All about Adelaide Metro Concession fares
Child, primary and high school student Adelaide Metro fares

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#2002 Post by Spotto » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:09 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:56 am
New fare details
MetroTicket type

Peak travel time

Off-peak travel time

Regular fares and tickets
Regular metroCARD (rechargeable)

Illustrated representation of an Adelaide Metro regular metroCARD. It is blue and shows the round Adelaide Metro logo, the words regular and validate each boarding. It has white icons depicting a bus, train and tram.

$4.05

$2.25

Singletrip MetroTicket

$5.90

$4.00

Tap and Pay

A fake bank card with generic card details that are not useable

$4.05

$2.25

Daytrip MetroTicket

$11.20

Concession fares and tickets
Concession metroCARD (rechargeable)

Illustrated representation of an Adelaide Metro concession metroCARD. It is green and shows the round Adelaide Metro logo, the words concession and validate each boarding. It has white icons depicting a bus, train and tram.

$2.00

$1.10

Concession Singletrip MetroTicket

$3.00

$1.40

Concession Daytrip MetroTicket

$5.60

Seniors Card

Illustrated representation of a South Australian Seniors Card. It is white, navy and gold, and has a small Adelaide Metro logo on it to show it is also a metroCARD

FREE

FREE

Student fares and tickets
Student metroCARD (rechargeable)

Illustrated representation of an Adelaide Metro student metroCARD. It is yellow and shows the round Adelaide Metro logo, the words student and validate each boarding. It has white icons depicting a bus, train and tram.

$1.40

$1.10

Student Singletrip MetroTicket

$3.00

$1.40

Student Daytrip MetroTicket

$5.60

14 and 28 day passes
14-day pass on a metroCARD

$64.50

28-day pass on a metroCARD

$107.00

Concession 14-day pass on a metroCARD

$32.20

Concession 28-day pass on a metroCARD

$53.50

Student 14-day pass on a metroCARD

$16.10

Student 28-day pass on a metroCARD

$26.50

More information
All about Adelaide Metro regular fares
All about Adelaide Metro Concession fares
Child, primary and high school student Adelaide Metro fares
Source please?

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#2003 Post by cocoiadrop » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:58 pm

Those just seem to be the existing ones. Instead of being forthcoming and transparent this year, Adelaide Metro has said this
Fare prices will increase by 4.8 per cent and will be rounded to the nearest five or ten cents. This indexation rate is based on the current Consumer Price Index (CPI).
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... -july-2023

I've attempted to do Adelaide Metro's work for them. https://imgur.com/lp4bi8w

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#2004 Post by Saltwater » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:07 am

It's an unpopular opinion in Adelaide but if we're serious about reducing traffic there really needs to be a consideration for distance based travelling, particularly on buses. Other cities do it well with a tap on / tap off approach.

It's great there's equity across fares, so someone travelling for Seaford can get to the City for $4.25 in peak, or buy a travelcard. And I'm not suggesting that is increased. But let's pretend I live at Mile End (because that's where I live), and want to get to the city which is four stops away by bus. I still pay $4.25 for a single trip, or $8.50 return. My wife drives to the city to park for $15 a day because the economics just aren't there in saving $6 a day to take a bus four stops. I'm not complaining - and yes we are fortunate to be so close to the city, and have decent transport options available (note that from where we are neither the tram nor train would save us time getting to the city).

If there was a reduced fare for shorter trips, say less than 5km, of say $2, it would incentive lots of people to switch to PT for trips to the city, to visit a friend in a neighbouring suburb, to get to the beach etc, and reduce overall traffic volumes. I assume it would just be very unpopular politically, seen to be favouring inner city electorates.

Nathan

#2005 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:35 am

Saltwater wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:07 am
If there was a reduced fare for shorter trips, say less than 5km, of say $2, it would incentive lots of people to switch to PT for trips to the city, to visit a friend in a neighbouring suburb, to get to the beach etc, and reduce overall traffic volumes. I assume it would just be very unpopular politically, seen to be favouring inner city electorates.
We had that with the 2 Section tickets, which the Marshall government dumped.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#2006 Post by cocoiadrop » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:47 am

Saltwater wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:07 am
I assume it would just be very unpopular politically, seen to be favouring inner city electorates.
I think if reintroduced correctly short fares wouldn't be seen that way, as long as someone going to Elizabeth town centre from the nearby area would pay the same short trip fare as someone from Norwood to the city. What would be unpopular (and also damaging) in my opinion would be if they went with zone based fares, which absolutely would favour inner city and unfairly punish people with low incomes who are forced to live in outer suburbs and commute into the city.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#2007 Post by Saltwater » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:12 pm

Yes short trips was my point, not just journeys to and from the CBD which could be seen as discriminatory. Buses like the J2 go for miles and someone pays the same going the full length as someone only wanting to go to the next suburb. Reintroduce two section tickets to stimulate short trip demand, the buses would be busier and surely there'd be a reduction in car traffic.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#2008 Post by cocoiadrop » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:08 pm

Does anyone know when you will actually be able to add a Daytrip to metrocard as advertised? Online and on TVMs at least I can still only add period passes.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#2009 Post by MT269 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:19 pm

cocoiadrop wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:08 pm
Does anyone know when you will actually be able to add a Daytrip to metrocard as advertised? Online and on TVMs at least I can still only add period passes.
I've been trying to find out the real answer to this question for nearly a decade. When I suggested a daily cap on a forum, I scored the equivalent to glares, and eggs thrown at my face, with no actual reason as to why it was opposed. But every other user was passionately against it seemingly.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#2010 Post by dbl96 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:22 pm

Nothing we didn't know already. I can't see much progress being made though, considering the attitudes of the current government towards urbanism:

https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/08/15/ ... ongestion/

Adelaide’s public transport and cycling networks lag well behind 19 similar cities around the world making it the only place on a global list where traffic congestion rose over the past four years, according to a Benchmarking Adelaide report released today.

The city ranks last among its benchmarked peers and “in the bottom third among 170 American and European cities” for the quality of its bike network in the first-of-its-kind study commissioned by the Committee for Adelaide, JLL, Deloitte, RAA and Hames Sharley.

“The city’s score is almost half of that of its peers, pointing to a real gap in its cycle network,” the report by urban intelligence firm The Business of Cities said.

At the same time, five per cent more people travel by car and Adelaide is one of 10 among 25 global cities that does not have a “whole-city transport policy committed to health outcomes”.

“Adelaide is the only city where the number of hours lost to traffic congestion has increased since 2019, a 16 per cent increase versus a 27 per cent fall among 14 peers,” the report found.

The study compared Adelaide to 19 cities deemed to share similar size and characteristics, including Bordeaux in France, Valencia and Bilbao in Spain, Fukuoka in Japan, Penang in Malaysia, Portland in the United States, Cardiff in Wales, Muscat in Oman and Cape Town in South Africa.

Among the list are six of the world’s 11 great wine capitals.

Comparisons showed while Adelaide is thriving in some areas, it has an inefficient commuting model with high car dependence and slow adoption of alternative transport.

The study, which warned Adelaide is likely to slip even further down the charts without further investment and innovation, said transport and infrastructure improvements were essential to harness economies of scale in “connecting people, goods, clients, customers and services”.

Many Adelaide residents cannot easily walk to key services, with the study ranking the city 20th out of a sample 25 cities globally in the number of locals able to reach a fresh food market or supermarket on foot.

“Adelaide’s public transport is accessible, meaning that more people live close to bus, train or tram stops,” it found.

“However, it falls down on efficiency, with lower travel speeds and multiple service transfers often required. Rethinking the network and introducing more flexible public transport fares, such as distance-based pricing, could be a way to increase uptake and reduce car dependence.”

RAA chief executive officer Nick Reade said Adelaide’s ranking of sixth in population growth in the study shows the need to “prioritise investment in our transport system and key infrastructure projects, particularly in high-growth areas”.

“When it comes to transport and infrastructure this report validates much of what we already know – that Adelaide is falling behind where it needs to be,” Reade said.

“We need to make public transport more efficient and attractive to commuters, we need to invest in cycling infrastructure and transition all transport to zero emissions.”

The independent study was designed to measure Adelaide’s strengths and identify opportunities to grow economic prosperity globally, collating evidence for organisations to lobby for policy changes and investment.

Adelaide the “gastronomy and festival capital”

Adelaide’s arts and creative scene is a standout in the study, with some caveats. It rates second among 13 peer cities for its contemporary arts scene, third in the number of best-selling authors produced, and fifth for the scale of the local film industry.

The report labels Adelaide a gastronomy and festival capital with great potential to further deliver on its “boutique” promise – but warns this must be valued to achieve wider economic ambitions.

“Currently this area emerges as a strategic weakness for Adelaide in an international context,” the report found.

“The scale of the urban culture and creative economy is also behind. Given the role culture and vibrancy have in talent attraction, this area could affect many of Adelaide’s wider economic ambitions.”

Adelaide’s other strengths were listed as being third for business and investment dynamics, fifth for liveability, affordability and wellbeing with high home ownership and ninth for skills, knowledge and population.

Its wins high ratings for being a top place for Artificial Intelligence investment and living, affordability and wellbeing.

Low pay, low productivity
Productivity is nearly 20 per cent below peer cities and the share of jobs in high-paid sectors is 10 per cent smaller than leading counterparts.

“Compared to cities internationally Adelaide has only made a patchy transition to jobs in high-paying sectors,” the report said.

“Becoming perceived as a city of opportunity to scale is key to retaining and maximising talent. Otherwise, many firms may continue to move to other cities.”

University merger a positive
It suggested the merger of the University of Adelaide and the University of South Australia gave the city “a big chance for reputational and societal impacts”, suggesting a base of international graduates could be harnessed “to big effect” in existing aeronautics, space, energy and waste sectors.

Adelaide is ranked joint second among 18 peers for its relative size talent pool working in aeronautics and weapons and is in the top six for energy and waste.

Committee for Adelaide chief executive Sam Dighton said the findings showed Adelaide as a great place to live and work but also revealed weaknesses “holding back our true economic and social potential”.

“Crucially, the report highlights that Adelaide’s economic productivity is behind that of its comparable international peers, and we have a lower share of jobs in high-wage, knowledge-rich sectors,” Dighton said.

“We should not shy away from the challenges that face us, and this report provides a fresh perspective on the opportunities to guide our city’s reinvention and how we can capitalise on our advantages in key industries to attract and retain talent.”