[APP] 1-25 South Esplanade, Glenelg | 42m | 12 Levels | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

[APP] Re: 1-25 South Esplanade, Glenelg | 46m | 13 Levels | Apartments

#46 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:06 pm

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by Jaymz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:30 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:06 pm
Could someone post this please: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... our=append
I could post it without pics, but that's probably what you want to see :?:

likeperu
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#48 Post by likeperu » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:09 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:06 pm
Could someone post this please: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... our=append
Chasecrown lodges new application for $160m luxury apartments in Glenelg
New “scaled-down” plans for a $160m apartment project in Glenelg have been revealed after a long-running feud between developers and local residents.

Giuseppe Tauriello
Giuseppe Tauriello
Follow
@gtauriello
2 min read
February 10, 2023 - 3:36PM
The Australian Business Network
15 comments
THE ADVERTISER01:19
Adelaide CBD developments under construction and approved

Local residents will get another say on contentious plans to build a $160m luxury apartment complex on the Glenelg foreshore, with revised designs revealed by developers for the first time after more than a year of legal wrangling.

Chasecrown has lodged a new development application for its proposed development at the former Seawall Apartments site on South Esplanade, about 500m south of Moseley Square, reaching a top height of 10 storeys.

The state planning authority previously rejected a 13-storey proposal from Chasecrown in July 2021, a decision the developer appealed in the Environment Resources and Development Court.

Chasecrown has decided not to pursue its original plan for a 13-storey development and is pushing ahead with the 10-storey alternative, which was previously endorsed by SCAP (State Commission Assessment Panel), in what opponents described at the time as a “secret” deal between the developer and the planning authority to reach a compromise.

The new 10-storey design of Chasecrown’s proposed development. Picture: Chasecrown

Do you support the revised designs for the $160m luxury apartment complex on the Glenelg foreshore?
Yes
No

Cast your vote
Chasecrown says the scaled-down version follows feedback from the local council, community and SCAP, and public consultation would soon open for its latest plans.

“The change to the original design and height of the project has been adopted after listening to feedback from council, community and SCAP, with the new plan already receiving strong support from members of the local community,” Chasecrown director Louis Kanellos said.

The original 13-storey design which was rejected by SCAP in 2021.

“The building’s design and proposed enhancements to the public areas around the building will not only enhance the aesthetics of the built form along the Glenelg foreshore, but contribute to the wellbeing and enjoyment of residents and the local community.”

The revised design scales from a top height of 10 storeys at the northern end, adjacent to the 12-storey Saltram Tower, down to four storeys at the southern end where there is predominantly low-rise housing.

Demolition for the Seawall Apartments in April 2022. Source: Supplied

The building will include 72 apartments, reduced from the originally planned 93, as well as a yoga and wellness area, gym and outdoor pool.

Chasecrown has also committed to a “significant investment” in the public space around the building, including an upgraded pedestrian link between Oldham St and the esplanade, with new trees, landscaping, green walls, patterned brick walkway and a public art installation.

Save our Seawall Apartments group founding member Karen DeCean, who has led local opposition to the project, said construction on the site should be limited to its five-storey limit.

A montage by Save our Seawall Apartments group from February 2021 shows the former building on the site. Picture: Dean Martin

“The good thing about it going back as a new application is that now anyone can have a say,” she said.

“Five storeys is in our book probably decent but 10 is just getting very difficult for the area.

“Everyone in the immediate vicinity is going to suffer. From the ocean to Brighton Rd is already a bottleneck … and it will really change that area quite dramatically, which is such a shame because it’s the sleepy end.”

More Coverage
Residents shut out of secret $165m Seawall apartment deal
New 22-storey CBD tower the ‘next generation of office design’
However, local Cibo cafe owner Tony Beatrice said the project would provide a major boost for local businesses.

“We need to grow our permanent population to help create a vibrant community all year round to support the local economy,” he said.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:55 pm

Thanks for posting. Looks like a good compromise me to me - hope it goes ahead.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#50 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:14 pm

I actually prefer the revised design to the original. It's got more variety to its built form.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by dbl96 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:33 pm

“Five storeys is in our book probably decent but 10 is just getting very difficult for the area.”

... but it is literally right next to a 12 story building.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Re: 1-25 South Esplanade, Glenelg | 42m | 12 Levels | Apartments

#52 Post by Ben » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:03 am

This went before the scap on Wednesday revised down to 10 levels and was again rejected.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:00 pm

For fucks sake, there’s a 12 storey building next to it. This sort of density is perfect for Glenelg, what on earth is the chief government architect on about.

ChillyPhilly

#54 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:12 pm

SCAP have lost a bit of touch lately.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#55 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:01 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:00 pm
For fucks sake, there’s a 12 storey building next to it. This sort of density is perfect for Glenelg, what on earth is the chief government architect on about.
I dare say, this was a case of 'where does the higher density in Glenelg stop'... Build this, and within ten years that entire stretch of beachfront will be built up of these sorts of developments, no longer containing it to Glenelg but headed down Somerton Beach way. These are hardly inspired developments either, more precast shit that shrouds over the beaches and neighbouring properties.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by Jaymz » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:40 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:01 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:00 pm
I dare say, this was a case of 'where does the higher density in Glenelg stop'... Build this, and within ten years that entire stretch of beachfront will be built up of these sorts of developments, no longer containing it to Glenelg but headed down Somerton Beach way. These are hardly inspired developments either, more precast shit that shrouds over the beaches and neighbouring properties.
This one isn't about "density", in fact I feel it's quite the opposite. This one, as the residents have raised, and I can't believe i'm agreeing, is just continuing a wall of apartment buildings along the beach front.

[Shuz]

#57 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:41 pm

Poor call by SAPC.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.