Gepps Cross intersection

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
MT269
High Rise Poster!

Gepps Cross intersection

#1 Post by MT269 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:41 am

Is there anything on the cards for this unofficial carpark which is devoid of meters? Everytime I venture through it, it just reminds how this city is stuck in the dark ages in some ways. I couldn't find a thread on it.

I don't think the former Hungry Jacks site needs another OTR occupying it. I think the space could be better used for a long needed upgrade of the intersection.

Just my 2c worth.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: Gepps Cross intersection

#2 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:53 pm

The number of paths vehicles can take through an intersection is n*(n-1), where n is the number of roads leading to the intersection. A normal four road intersection has 12 possible paths, five roads like Gepps Cross has 20. The traffic lights need to give each of these 20 paths a go every cycle, so it's slower than a normal intersection. Not much can be done about it except grade-separation.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:21 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:53 pm
The number of paths vehicles can take through an intersection is n*(n-1), where n is the number of roads leading to the intersection. A normal four road intersection has 12 possible paths, five roads like Gepps Cross has 20. The traffic lights need to give each of these 20 paths a go every cycle, so it's slower than a normal intersection. Not much can be done about it except grade-separation.
18 possible paths, with 3 of them not signalised, so 15 signalised paths. Your point still stands though, not a great deal that can be done with traffic light timings alone.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Kimora
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by Kimora » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:44 pm

It seems there's a lot of potential for improvement in this area. The unofficial carpark lacking meters highlights the city's outdated infrastructure, which can be frustrating. The idea of transforming the former Hungry Jacks site into an OTR might not be the best use of space. Instead, using it to upgrade the intersection could bring much-needed modernization and efficiency to the area, benefiting everyone who navigates through it.