News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
A-Town
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

#46 Post by A-Town » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:34 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:27 pm
Bunnings want to build a new store on Marion Road, immediately north of the Southern Expressway.

Personally, I would have thought expanding the green area to the north would make more sense to absorb car fumes and noise, rather than a hulking warehouse with hulking carpark when there is already one quite close by in Edwardstown.

Sounds like the Marion store will close and this will be its replacement if it's approved. There's been whispers about the Marion store closing for a while now.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by SRW » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:54 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Bunnings want to build a new store on Marion Road, immediately north of the Southern Expressway.

Personally, I would have thought expanding the green area to the north would make more sense to absorb car fumes and noise, rather than a hulking warehouse with hulking carpark when there is already one quite close by in Edwardstown.

That sucks. I thought this was public land and had always hoped they'd eventually expand the wetlands.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:36 pm

A-Town wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:34 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:

Sounds like the Marion store will close and this will be its replacement if it's approved. There's been whispers about the Marion store closing for a while now.
Even the Edwardstown store has had its struggles. Bunnings have changed over the past several years, probably brought about by their expensive failure to launch in the UK. I have certainly seen a bit less focus on staff wellbeing and a greater drive for daily profit.

It's Lot 501 Bedford Park Code Amendment, with consultation to open in April: https://plan.sa.gov.au/have_your_say/co ... /initiated

I can see there being some opposition, especially given the residents across the road. Plus a bit further west, not too many locals were happy with the closure of Fresh Choice Restaurant, now an empty site and still likely to be an X Convenience.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#49 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:20 am

To add to the above, Bunnings may also be taking the Gepps Cross drive-in site (of which yesterday was its final day as a Sunday market).

This might not be news to others, but it's the first whisper I have heard of it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Eurostar » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:58 pm

The Banana Boogie Bakery is closing at North Plympton. New wall up at their Belair store after that driver damaged the wall last year.

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#51 Post by TooFar » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:01 am

My mate and I use to catch yabbies and cook them in baked been tins right there on the banks of the Sturt Creek when I was I kid.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#52 Post by rev » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:56 pm

TK Maxx is about to open up at the Churchill Centre in a small extension on the southern side of the complex.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Eurostar » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:59 am

That bulky goods centre at Parafield with the KFC doesn't look far off from opening.

rev

#54 Post by rev » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:33 pm

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/news/ ... cement=spa

Costco is looking at a second site in the southern suburbs, part of a wider national expansion.
According to the article looks like a warehouse around 14,000sqm and 800 car parks.
But of insight into their operation as well, they apparently look at a 'catchment' of 400,000-500,000.
I dare say we could eventually see a third Costco open up in the northern suburbs proper.

Just a second one in Adelaide should ease the crazy congestion that's seen around the current store.
Hopefully if they go ahead with the new store it will include a petrol station outlet as well, as even with the expansion of their petrol station now the queues are ridiculous.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#55 Post by A-Town » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:28 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:33 pm
https://www.realcommercial.com.au/news/ ... cement=spa

Costco is looking at a second site in the southern suburbs, part of a wider national expansion.
According to the article looks like a warehouse around 14,000sqm and 800 car parks.
But of insight into their operation as well, they apparently look at a 'catchment' of 400,000-500,000.
I dare say we could eventually see a third Costco open up in the northern suburbs proper.

Just a second one in Adelaide should ease the crazy congestion that's seen around the current store.
Hopefully if they go ahead with the new store it will include a petrol station outlet as well, as even with the expansion of their petrol station now the queues are ridiculous.
I imagine the southern Adelaide store will be located at what was going to be the Masters hardware store at Colonnades, Noarlunga, which has sat vacant ever since it was built.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:50 pm

Looks like, sadly, the Violi Foodland franchise has gone under.

There’s an IGA truck clearing out their Modbury Triangle store at the moment.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by Allkai » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:42 pm

rev

#58 Post by rev » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:16 pm

Yeh bullshit. Just like Coles closing at Arndale and telling people go to St Clair or Churchill.

Customers would be the LAST thing considered by these retail giants.

Just overhead cost cutting.

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by Columbo » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:31 pm

I thought with the redevelopment of the Port Plaza, which looks good, that there would have also been an upgrade of both K-Mart and Coles during that work. I was down there just prior to Christmas last year and was surprised how tired it and dated it looked compared to other K-marts and although Coles seemed to have had some work done it's nowhere near as good as other nearby stores.
Will leave a big hole in the centre and will be interesting to see what might take it's place.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#60 Post by Allkai » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:05 am

Columbo wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:31 pm
I thought with the redevelopment of the Port Plaza, which looks good, that there would have also been an upgrade of both K-Mart and Coles during that work. I was down there just prior to Christmas last year and was surprised how tired it and dated it looked compared to other K-marts and although Coles seemed to have had some work done it's nowhere near as good as other nearby stores.
Will leave a big hole in the centre and will be interesting to see what might take it's place.
Same.

They should have pulled out before the re-build so the whole area could have been bulldozed.