News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3766 Post by Algernon » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:45 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:12 pm
Who can blame them? The Myer centre is awful with its empty upper floors, horrid escalator design and downtrodden food court. It's in desperate need of a major revamp to bring tenants and shoppers back and my feeling is the owners need Myer as an anchor tenant more than Myer needs to be in the Myer Centre.
It was designed at a time that department stores were so full of themselves that they thought people would give their left nut to spend 7 hours on a Saturday there. Times changed and the monolith hasn't. I think Myer is genuine in its threat to leave but would settle for a cut to the rent. I don't think customers in the online age would particularly miss them, especially those under 50. Department stores do a lot of things averagely, people don't have such brand loyalty that they'd give up having the best delivered to their door for a cheaper price...

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3767 Post by Saltwater » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:09 am

If the rent gets cut that's only delaying the inevitable, because its less money going to the landlords who are then less likely to invest in the centre. I was upstairs at City Cross over the weekend, and if Harvey Norman and Rebel could be persuaded to move there's plenty of room up there, it would only be one level for a Myer but if they were to cut back to their best selling departments it could go ok. And leave the Myer Centre pretty much empty as a prime time to redevelop, involving:

- Re-configuring the escalators, to make it easier to move around without having to double-back every time
- Adding new escalators for direct access from the ground to second or even third floors, to get foot traffic up there
- Reconfigure the upper floors. Maybe convert to offices, or be brave and try something different like a bowling alley, holey moley type setup, nightclub... anything but retail, which would be condensed to the lower floors

A decent benchmark as a mall that operates well is 313 Somerset in Singapore, ironically its owned by Lendlease, and admittedly sits above an MRT station, but it does very well without any huge department stores like Myer, with a good fix of retail, food and services. And the escalators are designed to get people through, and up, quickly.

Patrick_27

#3768 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:47 pm

I still frequent Myer, but more or less they are reminding me a lot of Harris Scarf in the immediate years before they left mall. Less staff about, less foot traffic and less variety. Their cosmetics section, for example, is a drop in the ocean compared to what it use to be.

I don’t think the mall as a whole would suffer too greatly from Myer leaving, it would certainly present a case for more brand specific stores in the mall precinct (that aren’t already represented in DJ’s). The biggest concern is the sheer size of leasable floor space that Myer have in the centre, no one retailer could fill that (or would want to try) and the size of the centre is too big and prominent to bulldoze and start again. I fear it would become another Rundle Mall Plaza where is exists under-utilised for many years whilst waiting for a thrifty property developer to come through with an overhaul.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3769 Post by rev » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:56 am

Saltwater wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:09 am
If the rent gets cut that's only delaying the inevitable, because its less money going to the landlords who are then less likely to invest in the centre. I was upstairs at City Cross over the weekend, and if Harvey Norman and Rebel could be persuaded to move there's plenty of room up there, it would only be one level for a Myer but if they were to cut back to their best selling departments it could go ok. And leave the Myer Centre pretty much empty as a prime time to redevelop, involving:

- Re-configuring the escalators, to make it easier to move around without having to double-back every time
- Adding new escalators for direct access from the ground to second or even third floors, to get foot traffic up there
- Reconfigure the upper floors. Maybe convert to offices, or be brave and try something different like a bowling alley, holey moley type setup, nightclub... anything but retail, which would be condensed to the lower floors

A decent benchmark as a mall that operates well is 313 Somerset in Singapore, ironically its owned by Lendlease, and admittedly sits above an MRT station, but it does very well without any huge department stores like Myer, with a good fix of retail, food and services. And the escalators are designed to get people through, and up, quickly.
I reckon if they brought the food court to ground level that would help, with a decent offering.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3770 Post by Saltwater » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:37 am

A ground floor food court would work, or even be brave and try a food court on the upper floors. From memory 313 Somerset has one on the top (5th floor) from memory, and the escalators are configured in a way that make it easy to get up there. If not a foodcourt maybe some restaurants, rooftop bars, make the most of the height and the light that comes with it and draw people up through the mall with some decent offerings like a decent sized Uniqlo.

Myer making noise is maybe trying to reduce their footprint. Say they trimmed back to two or three floors they could probably retain most of their best selling departments, cut those that are running at a loss, and require less staff operating across huge areas and the resulting perception their customer service sucks.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3771 Post by Eurostar » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:25 am

I dare say the way the escalators are designed is to make you walk pass other shops and persuade you to buy more. In Myer its a bit female orientated with cosmetics on ground, womens clothing on next floor, then mens and entertainment.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3772 Post by Saltwater » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:48 am

Yes exactly, its an antiquated design intended to increase foot traffic past shops, with people having to go up a level, and double back past a row of shops before taking the next escalator up. But all it does is piss people off so they avoid it altogether. A major redesign is required because the current approach (with a couple of slow elevators as support) just doesn't work.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3773 Post by rev » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:35 am

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 0e50e051c3

Behind the paywall, and the usual methods aren't working.

Night-time entertainment precinct in the mall..

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3774 Post by AG » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 am

rev wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:35 am
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 0e50e051c3

Behind the paywall, and the usual methods aren't working.

Night-time entertainment precinct in the mall..
Archie Brothers venue on the upper floors of Rundle Place where Harris Scarfe used to be.

SBD

#3775 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:36 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:37 am
A ground floor food court would work, or even be brave and try a food court on the upper floors. From memory 313 Somerset has one on the top (5th floor) from memory, and the escalators are configured in a way that make it easy to get up there. If not a foodcourt maybe some restaurants, rooftop bars, make the most of the height and the light that comes with it and draw people up through the mall with some decent offerings like a decent sized Uniqlo.

Myer making noise is maybe trying to reduce their footprint. Say they trimmed back to two or three floors they could probably retain most of their best selling departments, cut those that are running at a loss, and require less staff operating across huge areas and the resulting perception their customer service sucks.
I think when I was a kid and went to the city with Mum, we'd have lunch in the John Martin's cafe with windows on the north side. Can any of the retail levels of the Myer Centre be opened to have windows overlooking Government House gardens?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3776 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:09 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3777 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:33 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:47 pm
I still frequent Myer, but more or less they are reminding me a lot of Harris Scarf in the immediate years before they left mall. Less staff about, less foot traffic and less variety. Their cosmetics section, for example, is a drop in the ocean compared to what it use to be.

I don’t think the mall as a whole would suffer too greatly from Myer leaving, it would certainly present a case for more brand specific stores in the mall precinct (that aren’t already represented in DJ’s). The biggest concern is the sheer size of leasable floor space that Myer have in the centre, no one retailer could fill that (or would want to try) and the size of the centre is too big and prominent to bulldoze and start again. I fear it would become another Rundle Mall Plaza where is exists under-utilised for many years whilst waiting for a thrifty property developer to come through with an overhaul.
Myer's Adelaide store isn't an orphan in that regard. I was in Sydney last week and Myer's Sydney store is a mess - especially when compared to David Jones.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3778 Post by Pants » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:37 pm

Speaking of the Myer Centre:
641AF177-1567-4593-8698-374DEE936999.jpeg
F0D54D58-158F-4835-9AD7-FBEC11E42015.jpeg
D851D0A2-421E-4DC4-B45D-A2944657F307.jpeg
DED5C7BC-8DBB-46C8-9D15-269B6E8DDD42.jpeg
New facade by the end of the year.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#3779 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:51 pm

This looks pretty cool. I hope it executed as well as the renders.

Llessur2002

#3780 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:35 pm

Weirdly, I'll miss the post-modern styling. It reminds me of my local shopping mall from my teenage years - that's been renovated too :(