AFL Gather Round

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
abc
Legendary Member!

Re: AFL Gather Round

#31 Post by abc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:08 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:24 pm
abc wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:16 am
Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:29 am

Works are moving along: https://yoursay.westtorrens.sa.gov.au/r ... aster-plan

Wouldn't be surprised if West Torrens Council asks for some state government assistance to speed the plans along so it can be used for a Gather Round match next year.
I'm aware of the plans as my mother lives in the area, however I've seen the results and its nothing impressive
Not quite sure how you can have seen the results as most of the works haven't happened yet!
but it has...they've removed sections of the terracing that is outlined in the plan and replaced them with grass areas while leaving sections of decaying terracing

the place looks like it did in 1981 before the last upgrade ...and it was a dump then

https://www.afl.com.au/video/898663/san ... 0842400001

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#32 Post by rev » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:08 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:17 pm

To maximise crowds I would have 4 big games at AO
4 at the biggest/best suburban grounds...try to get 15k in.... Norwood the western stand was empty for both games for some reason and there was still plenty of room in the outer

deal with the cricket pitch at Glenelg

1 game in the country
Earlier you were complaining the overall crowds for gather round would be less then if it was a regular round using the larger stadiums around the country rather then Norwood and Mount Barker. Now you think it's a good idea. Quite the 180.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by neoballmon » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:22 pm

I'd like to see a game far north and far south. Barossa had been suggested, and quite likely for next year, so maybe one at South Adelaide (Noarlunga) as well. This opens tourism to the McLaren Vale and Aldinga regions, and the road duplications should be done pr so close to done that they will be tourist friendly areas by next years round.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

abc
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by abc » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:40 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:08 pm
abc wrote:

4 at the biggest/best suburban grounds...try to get 15k in.... Norwood the western stand was empty for both games for some reason and there was still plenty of room in the outer

1 game in the country
Earlier you were complaining the overall crowds for gather round would be less then if it was a regular round using the larger stadiums around the country rather then Norwood and Mount Barker. Now you think it's a good idea. Quite the 180.
earlier there wasn't a commitment from the AFL to hold it here for 3 more years
when life gives you lemons, make lemonade

rev

#35 Post by rev » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:28 am

abc wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:40 pm
rev wrote:
abc wrote:

1 game in the country
Whether the AFL committed to one year or 10 years, it's still going to require a minor suburban ground or two, which was your gripe, so nothings changed in that regard.

abc
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by abc » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:02 am

rev wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:28 am
abc wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:40 pm
rev wrote:

Whether the AFL committed to one year or 10 years, it's still going to require a minor suburban ground or two, which was your gripe, so nothings changed in that regard.
you're always looking for a fight

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by SBD » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:44 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:22 pm
I'd like to see a game far north and far south. Barossa had been suggested, and quite likely for next year, so maybe one at South Adelaide (Noarlunga) as well. This opens tourism to the McLaren Vale and Aldinga regions, and the road duplications should be done pr so close to done that they will be tourist friendly areas by next years round.

"Far north" and "Far south" are Tanunda and Noarlunga? What requires the round to be Adelaide rather than South Australia? How about Port Pirie, Tanunda, Victor Harbor and Mount Gambier? It seems the Adelaide Oval double-headers were a detriment rather than a highlight, so move the warmup matches elsewhere. Apparently the Victorian Government now subsidises bus fares from Melbourne to Mount Gambier, so let's use that instead of ignoring it.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by Jaymz » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:28 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:44 pm
neoballmon wrote:

"Far north" and "Far south" are Tanunda and Noarlunga? What requires the round to be Adelaide rather than South Australia? How about Port Pirie, Tanunda, Victor Harbor and Mount Gambier? It seems the Adelaide Oval double-headers were a detriment rather than a highlight, so move the warmup matches elsewhere. Apparently the Victorian Government now subsidises bus fares from Melbourne to Mount Gambier, so let's use that instead of ignoring it.
I believe the idea of "Gather Round" was exactly that, to bring the game and fans and players close together in a kind of central point. So Noarlunga and The Barossa seems like the boundary so to speak.

The logistics of a game in Mount gambier, Victor Harbor or Port Pirie would be pretty difficult. The biggest concern for the AFL even before crowd capacity is the condition of the oval itself. It needs to be top-notch, not only for the fact it looks nice on TV but also the safety of the players.

rev

#39 Post by rev » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:24 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:28 pm
SBD wrote:
neoballmon wrote:

I believe the idea of "Gather Round" was exactly that, to bring the game and fans and players close together in a kind of central point. So Noarlunga and The Barossa seems like the boundary so to speak.

The logistics of a game in Mount gambier, Victor Harbor or Port Pirie would be pretty difficult. The biggest concern for the AFL even before crowd capacity is the condition of the oval itself. It needs to be top-notch, not only for the fact it looks nice on TV but also the safety of the players.
Getting the playing surface ready would be the easy part.
Getting people to & from the game, finding accommodation for them, that would be the difficult part.
Lets say 5,000 interstate visitors turn up for a game in Mt Gambier, where are they all going to stay?
It's a 10 hour round trip for Melbourne by road.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by neoballmon » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:39 pm

Yeah when I referred to Barossa and Noarlunga, I was meaning within the metro borders. Of course country is also an option.

I know nothing about Northern ovals' size or capacity which is why I piggy backed off a previous mention of the Barossa. As for Noarlunga, Hickenbotham is the most southern oval I'm aware of commonly used in SANFL, and I don't believe Aldingas oval would have anywhere near the capacity required.

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by A-Town » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:48 pm

SBD wrote:
neoballmon wrote:

I think they will likely cut the Adelaide Oval double headers from two to one, with the one being on the Saturday. They also need to shorten the times between matches for the double header.

They should also move both SA teams to have stand alone matches on the Thursday and Friday nights, which will give more interstate fans a chance to get tickets to see their teams play on the Saturday double header at Adelaide Oval.

If Mali gets his way, there will be matches in the Barossa and McLaren Vale, and Norwood will most likely have at least one match, possibly two again.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#42 Post by SBD » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:04 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:28 pm
SBD wrote:
neoballmon wrote:

OK, so maybe the regional centres aren't suitable for the concept of the Gather Round.

Victorian public transport now has "Fairer regional fares". A train/bus ride from Southern Cross Station to Mount Gambier takes 6 hours one way and costs $9.20 full fare adult. ("off Peak", but I can't find on on peak fare - they seem to be off peak departing at 08:36, 13:08 and 17:06) That makes it more suitable to host a round between two Melbourne teams than one or both Adelaide teams!

Malseed Park supposedly has "...a great playing surface and a capacity of around 7500". Presumably temporary seats could be installed on the hill to increase capacity somewhat if required.

rev

#43 Post by rev » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:27 pm

So Gather Round 2024 was announced yesterday, and hotels were reporting being sold out or close to it within hours of the dates being announced by the AFL and Premier.

Looks like it's shaping up to be even bigger next year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/953589/afl- ... round-2024
Round 4 April 4-7.

By the sounds of it as well, the Barossa will host at least a game, with AFL & state gov. funding to bring a venue (playing surface) up to standard.

rev

#44 Post by rev » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:14 pm

AFL chief Andrew Dillon signals Gather Round should stay in Adelaide on permanent basis

Andrew Dillon has indicated he wants Adelaide to be the permanent Gather Round host calling the oval an “iconic venue” that was “brilliantly situated”.

AFL chief Andrew Dillon has signalled he wants Adelaide to be the permanent Gather Round host.

Asked at a business breakfast if he saw Gather Round as a South Australian fixture going forward, Mr Dillon said this depended on the state continuing to get return on its investment.

But he said the “great thing” about SA hosting Gather Round was basing it around Adelaide Oval, which he branded an “iconic venue” that was “brilliantly situated”.

“We’ve got three years ... or this year plus another two and if the way it’s gone … the sequels not often better than the original but it looks like we’re going to improve on what happened last year,” he said

“And if we can continue to improve and the fans come in from interstate, because that’s really important for South Australia.

“It’s a good investment that the South Australian Government’s making and we don’t take it for granted.

“But we know for South Australia continuing to invest they need to get the economic impact. So as long as we can continue to see that.

“The great thing I think about South Australia is to be able to base it around the Adelaide Oval, which is just such an iconic venue, so brilliantly situated.”

It comes as Port Adelaide senior coach Ken Hinkley staunchly defended South Australia’s right to host Gather Round, saying there is no better place in the country to have it.

Ahead of the second Gather Round kicking off, interstate clubs have moaned that the festival of footy gives Adelaide and the Power an unfair advantage by giving them an extra home game and creating an “imbalance” in the fixturing.

With the extra game at Adelaide Oval as part of Gather Round, the Crows and Power play 13 games in SA this year – including the two Showdowns.

Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon play 17 of their 23 home and away matches this season in Melbourne., while Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda play 15 games in the Victorian capital.
The Tigers and Saints also play a match each an hour out of Melbourne in Geelong.

Geelong coach Chris Scott said this week that if Gather Round was to remain in Adelaide, then the Crows and Power should face off in a Showdown.

“I’m not sure that the two Adelaide teams should just get an extra home game against an away team,” he said on SEN.

“The clear and obvious solution to the compromise is that there should just be another Showdown.”

On Thursday Hinkley rejected this suggestion and said he believed no other state could do Gather Round better than SA.

“That is Chris’ opinion I suppose,” he said.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... nt-1-SCORE

Hopefully the boneheads who occupy North Terrace are paying attention and lock it in.

abc
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by abc » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:30 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:27 pm
So Gather Round 2024 was announced yesterday, and hotels were reporting being sold out or close to it within hours of the dates being announced by the AFL and Premier.

Looks like it's shaping up to be even bigger next year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/953589/afl- ... round-2024
Round 4 April 4-7.

By the sounds of it as well, the Barossa will host at least a game, with AFL & state gov. funding to bring a venue (playing surface) up to standard.
should be a couple of weeks later when its a bit cooler

day games in this weather is too hot