News & Discussion: Regional Transport

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Regional Transport

#706 Post by rubberman » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:08 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:34 pm
claybro wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:15 pm
As a result of the discussion on the Gather round thread relating to regional matches, Out of curiosity I googled Adelaide to Mount Gambier, due to a comment on the proximity (ease of travel) from Melbourne to Mt Gambier. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Using Google Maps as a search, for public transport Adelaide -Mount Gambier- It actually directs you to travel to Melbourne, then train/bus Melbourne to Mt Gambier. How are we to promote the regions to international tourists if this is the best we can do? Yes there is a direct bus, but using Google-did not easily find the option. It is beyond sad the state of regional rail in SA, and it really holds back regional developement. I also wonder, how many residents in Mt Gambier now to to Melbourne in preference to Adelaide? We might as well just re-draw the border and give Mt Gambier to Victoria.
Said it before as well, we need to improve direct access to our regions by road and rail.
But you'll see it all falls on deaf ears in South Australia.
"we're are we going to find the money" will be the among the top 3 excuses. :lol:
Victoria can find the money. However, the Opposition screams blue murder about "DAN'S DEBT DISASTER".

Now, in Victoria, the Government is so far ahead of the Opposition, it can do that. I'm not sure that is the case in SA.

Not to mention that there's no shortage of people wanting this and that, but when it comes to paying for anything, they never want to follow through.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#707 Post by rev » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:09 pm

rubberman wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:08 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:34 pm
claybro wrote:
As a result of the discussion on the Gather round thread relating to regional matches, Out of curiosity I googled Adelaide to Mount Gambier, due to a comment on the proximity (ease of travel) from Melbourne to Mt Gambier. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Using Google Maps as a search, for public transport Adelaide -Mount Gambier- It actually directs you to travel to Melbourne, then train/bus Melbourne to Mt Gambier. How are we to promote the regions to international tourists if this is the best we can do? Yes there is a direct bus, but using Google-did not easily find the option. It is beyond sad the state of regional rail in SA, and it really holds back regional developement. I also wonder, how many residents in Mt Gambier now to to Melbourne in preference to Adelaide? We might as well just re-draw the border and give Mt Gambier to Victoria.
Said it before as well, we need to improve direct access to our regions by road and rail.
But you'll see it all falls on deaf ears in South Australia.
"we're are we going to find the money" will be the among the top 3 excuses. :lol:
Victoria can find the money. However, the Opposition screams blue murder about "DAN'S DEBT DISASTER".

Now, in Victoria, the Government is so far ahead of the Opposition, it can do that. I'm not sure that is the case in SA.

Not to mention that there's no shortage of people wanting this and that, but when it comes to paying for anything, they never want to follow through.
Victorias debt is high, first time it's exceeded 100 billion. But it's still only about 18% of their GSP. So depends which way it's spun, one looks worse then the other because it's a big number.
And thanks for not pointing out my atrocious grammar mistake :lol:

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#708 Post by Modbury_Man » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:12 pm

claybro wrote:
I think the main reason for this issue in Google would be that Public Transport Victoria provides a data feed for Google to pick up (given the bus and train timetables across Victoria are marketed all under PTV/Vline), whereas the Premier Stateliner service in SA doesn't appear to have digital timetables or online data feeds like Adelaide Metro.

There is a tender process occurring at present for regional SA public transport, so will be interesting to see what changes when the successful tenderers are announced!

https://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/tender/view?id=238881