Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
24%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
30%

Total votes: 104

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

#241 Post by rev » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:14 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:23 pm
It was my state teams idea. As they represent the 19th century British colonies, (plus the NT and ACT as I doubt they'd want to be included with SA and NSW respectively), it wouldn't be completely unreasonable to add a pre-colonial team or teams (300 separate nations) but none of the other countries have separate settler and indigenous teams. I can't see a meaningful way of assigning athletes to particular teams in that case. We have an electoral roll that unambiguously allocates people to a single state. The Games already have rules for dual citizens switching teams, but I don't know if they could be extended to overlapping territories as well.
I don't think state and territory teams would do particularly well overall, with the exception of NSW and Victoria who might be mildly competitive.

abc
Legendary Member!

#242 Post by abc » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:04 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:11 pm
abc wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 pm
SBD wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:27 pm

There are several other republics in the Commonwealth Games, as they remain members of the Commonwealth of Nations despite not being realms of the Crown.

I think the Commonwealth Games would look more interesting if each Australian state competed separately, like the British home countries - So South Australia could play against Scotland or Jersey in the final of something. Canadian provinces might also want to play separately although their provincial governors represent the GG (ours represent the Crown without reference to the GG). Norfolk Island already competes distinct from Australia.
I could imagine if that occurred the woke activists would want a separate team for aboriginals
Alright ghs.
who?

is why you're always an arsehole? you think I'm someone else?

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#243 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:23 pm

okay ghs
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

abc
Legendary Member!

#244 Post by abc » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:50 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:23 pm
okay ghs
prove it or leave

SBD

#245 Post by SBD » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:33 am

rev wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:14 pm
SBD wrote:
It was my state teams idea. As they represent the 19th century British colonies, (plus the NT and ACT as I doubt they'd want to be included with SA and NSW respectively), it wouldn't be completely unreasonable to add a pre-colonial team or teams (300 separate nations) but none of the other countries have separate settler and indigenous teams. I can't see a meaningful way of assigning athletes to particular teams in that case. We have an electoral roll that unambiguously allocates people to a single state. The Games already have rules for dual citizens switching teams, but I don't know if they could be extended to overlapping territories as well.
I don't think state and territory teams would do particularly well overall, with the exception of NSW and Victoria who might be mildly competitive.
There are lots of smaller competitors who don’t compete for overall top of the medal tally. Splitting Australia and Canada would open the competition .

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#246 Post by rev » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:36 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:33 am
rev wrote:
SBD wrote:
There are lots of smaller competitors who don’t compete for overall top of the medal tally. Splitting Australia and Canada would open the competition .
Well yeh. But that's not the fault of Australia or Canada or England. If other nations take sporting achievements as serious as Australia does, they too should find a way to improve.
China wasn't always competitive at the Olympics, but it's investing more and more money into athletic and sports programs. It's now competitive.
Bangladesh's cricket team is a good example. Many would still regard them as minnows, but they have shown they can beat top cricket nations like Australia. That didn't happen by chance.

We shouldn't punish our selves so that others have a better chance. Otherwise everyone may as well get a participation award instead of competing to stand on the podium.

SBD

#247 Post by SBD » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:29 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:36 pm
SBD wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:33 am
rev wrote:

Well yeh. But that's not the fault of Australia or Canada or England. If other nations take sporting achievements as serious as Australia does, they too should find a way to improve.
China wasn't always competitive at the Olympics, but it's investing more and more money into athletic and sports programs. It's now competitive.
Bangladesh's cricket team is a good example. Many would still regard them as minnows, but they have shown they can beat top cricket nations like Australia. That didn't happen by chance.

We shouldn't punish our selves so that others have a better chance. Otherwise everyone may as well get a participation award instead of competing to stand on the podium.
Do you really think that Norfolk Island or Trinidad and Tobago can score as many medals as Australia just by trying harder?

Having five extra teams is not really “punishing ourselves”. Most of them would still do better than a lot of small countries.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#248 Post by Hooligan » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:11 pm

It would never happen, but a multi sport games event where only the Australian states, territories and New Zealand compete against each other would be cool.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#249 Post by Ben » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:19 pm

Bring back it’s a knockout? 😅

[Shuz]

#250 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:16 am

Victoria has just announced they are withdrawing from hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2026.

My understanding is that they were the sole bid. This presents a bit of an issue for the Commonwealth Games Selection Committee. Will it just not go ahead at all?

We should put a bid in.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#251 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:25 am

Premier Daniel Andrews announced the decision at a snap media briefing on Tuesday morning.

“Last year when the Commonwealth games authorities approached us and needed someone to step into host the 2026 Commonwealth Games, as a state we were happy to help out but, of course, not at any price and only if there was lasting benefit for Victorian communities and benefit for the whole state,” he said.

“What’s become clear is that the cost of hosting these games in 2026 is not the $2.6 billion which was budgeted and allocated and is sitting, the vast, vast majority of which has not been spent.

“It is not $2.6 billion, it is in fact at least $6 billion and could be as high as $7 billion and … I think it could be more than that.”
https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2023/0 ... a&lr_hash=
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#252 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:34 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:16 am
Victoria has just announced they are withdrawing from hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2026.

My understanding is that they were the sole bid. This presents a bit of an issue for the Commonwealth Games Selection Committee. Will it just not go ahead at all?

We should put a bid in.
Not if it would cost several billion dollars we shouldn't.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#253 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:36 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:34 am
[Shuz] wrote:

We should put a bid in.
exactly - what a colossal waste of limited State Government money.

abc
Legendary Member!

#254 Post by abc » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:09 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:36 am
Nort wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:

We should put a bid in.
*taxpayer's money

remember its our money not the government's

SBD

#255 Post by SBD » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:31 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:09 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:36 am
Nort wrote:

*taxpayer's money

remember its our money not the government's
Arguably it changes from "taxpayer's money" to "government's money" when we pay our taxes, the same as it stops being our money when we pay the restaurant, gardener or whatever other services we pay for - it becomes the service provider's money.

I haven't seen how the cost to the Victorian Government blew out so much after they prepared the state budget, given they are still planning to provide all the regional infrastructure that was on offer, including housing in regional town/cities and venue upgrades.

Our government wouldn't want to spend that much money so far from its Adelaide-centric base.