[COM] Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

#436 Post by Columbo » Sun May 28, 2023 8:43 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:38 am
Hopefully they build some 4-6 level mixed use. Ground floor retail and upper levels residential apartments, with an improvement to the bus interchange to be more then just a bunch of bus shelters.
Shame it doesn't include the salvos store getting bulldozed.
Will be interesting what happens, bus interchange area could certainly do with an upgrade.

Trying to recall if all those years ago when Coles left what is now the Salvos if the building was sold or just leased.
Lots of other Salvo's services, including the church are located in the building so wouldn't expect they would be in a hurry to move.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#437 Post by rev » Mon May 29, 2023 3:01 pm

Well hopefully it's a residential development that pops up something like the apartment buildings at St Clair. Would make sense given the public transport option right there on it's door step literally, and would help push for a better designed bus interchange which at the moment is a huge let down..it's just a bunch of spaced out bus shelters.
Shops and public transport on peoples door step.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#438 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 29, 2023 3:48 pm

One thing I've always found weird about the Arndale Centre is that despite fronting a fairly main road and being a single-level centre it has virtually no street presence at all. It's a jumble of parking areas, none of which gives any vibes that it's the primary car park and every entrance feels like a side door. There's no discernible front or main entrance to the centre and unless you're familar with shopping there it's difficult to tell where the entrance points even are at first glance.

I know it's probably not a priority but I feel other similar shopping centres do this a little better and look a little more welcoming on this front. Once you're inside it feels a lot more normal.

rev

#439 Post by rev » Mon May 29, 2023 4:57 pm

Definitely agree on that point.
Theres a little car park or road facing shops near the Woolies entrance on the corner of Torrens and Hanson roads but that's it.
There used to be the Michelle's Patisserie near Foodland on the Torrens Road side entrance but that's long gone.
There is the cafes on the other side of Foodland but they're pretty subpar.

If they invested the money into a decent renovation the centre would do quite well.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#440 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:22 pm

I can remember the first time I ever visited I spent a while driving around looking for the right place to park because I presumed that every parking area I drove through was at the back of the centre. It was only after I'd completed a full lap I realised there wasn't actually a front so to speak.

I feel that a minor refurbishment of the entrances to make them more prominent/inviting, plus some various car park tweaks would make it a little less scary from the outside.

Maybe the potential development of the land to the north would give an opportunity to formally make that the front of the centre - it is the largest parking area after all. A few trees or shade canopies in the parking area wouldn't go amiss.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#441 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:15 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:22 pm
I can remember the first time I ever visited I spent a while driving around looking for the right place to park because I presumed that every parking area I drove through was at the back of the centre. It was only after I'd completed a full lap I realised there wasn't actually a front so to speak.

I feel that a minor refurbishment of the entrances to make them more prominent/inviting, plus some various car park tweaks would make it a little less scary from the outside.

Maybe the potential development of the land to the north would give an opportunity to formally make that the front of the centre - it is the largest parking area after all. A few trees or shade canopies in the parking area wouldn't go amiss.
Major shopping centres don't usually have a "front" or "main" entrance. They've large enough that every entrance is usually just as important as the others.

At Arndale the entrances were upgraded a few years ago, and are now far more prominent.

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#442 Post by Columbo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:49 pm

McDonalds has been boarded up today, suspected it would be just for a bit of a re-fit but no signs or information anywhere so hard to know,
however just checked on the McDonalds website for the Arndale store and was presented with an Oops not found page and it's no longer showing up on the map on the website.

https://mcdonalds.com.au/store/arndale-sa

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#443 Post by Eurostar » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:33 pm

Columbo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:49 pm
McDonalds has been boarded up today, suspected it would be just for a bit of a re-fit but no signs or information anywhere so hard to know,
however just checked on the McDonalds website for the Arndale store and was presented with an Oops not found page and it's no longer showing up on the map on the website.

https://mcdonalds.com.au/store/arndale-sa
According to ABN the trustee owns Croydon and Woodville store too

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#444 Post by Columbo » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:12 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:33 pm
That would explain why the feedback reply I received a few months back came from the Woodville store franchisee.
Today the boards around the store have been covered in Christmas pictures.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#445 Post by Eurostar » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:04 pm

Columbo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:12 pm
Eurostar wrote:
That would explain why the feedback reply I received a few months back came from the Woodville store franchisee.
Centrelink where it is now is where the dining precinct should be located as its right by the cinema. The Centrelink should move to the former retail space above Harris Scarfe

rev

#446 Post by rev » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:04 pm
Columbo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:12 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Centrelink where it is now is where the dining precinct should be located as its right by the cinema. The Centrelink should move to the former retail space above Harris Scarfe
The dining precinct, an expand one in fact, if Arndale ever gets one, should be between the main shopping centre and the cinemas, accessible from both.
The whole point should be to generate foot traffic and people coming in. Where centrelink is now is not connected to the shopping centre nor the cinema as the entrance to the cinema is on the other side facing inwards towards the shopping centre and car park.

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#447 Post by Columbo » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:31 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 pm
The dining precinct, an expand one in fact, if Arndale ever gets one, should be between the main shopping centre and the cinemas, accessible from both.
The whole point should be to generate foot traffic and people coming in. Where centrelink is now is not connected to the shopping centre nor the cinema as the entrance to the cinema is on the other side facing inwards towards the shopping centre and car park.
That would be the best case scenario.
The current setup is worse than it's ever been, tables and chairs in all different parts of the mall and the area was the "food court" has been used for cars and most recently a market bazzar kind of thing.
I may be way off the mark here but I do wonder should Macca's return if it might be in a different location.
The old Rheinland store has been empty since their departure, next to that is Professionail which is, according to the signs moving next to NAB.
Once that move is complete there would be 2 shopfronts side by side that could become 1 larger space. Obviously there would need to be some work on the exterior but there would then be scope to provide access from outside the centre in the same way as the bubble tea and fried chicken shop near Foodland have.

As an aside I still don't understand why the new Sushi place didn't have a customer access door facing the car park aswell as the mall entrance.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#448 Post by Mpol02 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:38 am

Just bulldoze the dump and start from scratch.

A dew mid density towers, 10-16 levels high with a new shopping centre under them would really help lift the area.

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#449 Post by Columbo » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:44 pm

According to an email Mrs Columbo received from Macca's customer service the Arndale store has permanently closed.

Guessing it's no longer officially part of Arndale but the area of land that was up for sale on the corner of First Avenue and Gray street appears to have been pegged out, maybe some work starting soon.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#450 Post by Jaymz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:53 pm

I paid my first ever visit to this shopping centre today, to pick up an item I ordered online..... and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and quantity of shops on offer 8)