News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling

#451 Post by rhino » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:26 pm

Sounds like a plan. Have all the traffic from Main North Road funneling into one lane doing 30km/hour. Be good for Adelaide City Council shops. Prospect Council, not so much.
cheers,
Rhino

Llessur2002

#452 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:33 am

Have just received the below message at work. Can't find much on the ACC website and it's not clear if this is actual construction or just preliminary work. Fingers crossed though...
From now until October, there will be traffic delays at various times on Frome Road between Rundle Street and Albert Bridge due to the North-South Bikeway project. Most works will be completed at night. Upcoming daytime works and anticipated delays will be notified on traffic message boards.

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#453 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Mon May 06, 2024 12:00 pm

This is actual construction, which is meant to be beginning today. Bike SA and Bike Adelaide have been reporting this. I viewed the tender documents a few months ago, I assume not too much has changed in the final design. From Rundle St to North Tce we'll see a copy/paste of the bikeway as it exists from Grenfell to Rundle. From North Tce to Victoria Drive, car lanes will finally be reduced from two to one to allow room for wide bike lanes on either side, separated from traffic by flexi-posts (not a concrete buffer). Bus stops will be retained and will be shared with the bike lanes. The current painted footpath/cycle path treatment on the eastern side of Frome Rd will be disappearing. From Victoria Dr to Albert Bridge, a new shared-use path is being constructed on the western side of Frome Rd (similar to what exists on Frome Rd north of the Torrens). For cyclists heading south, the bike lane will be retained but with a new ramp allowing the option to transition to the existing pedestrian lights to facilitate crossover to the shared path. My understanding is the on-road (unprotected) bike lanes will remain on this section as an additional option for those not wanting to bother with the criss-cross heading south. The Victoria Dr slip lane at the intersection is also being removed.

The bike lanes will also be marked through the intersections of Rundle/Frome and North Tce/Frome (as they are on much of the current bikeway), meaning turning cars must yield to traffic in the continuing lane. This is different from the current setup of these intersections where cyclists are required to give way to turning cars who are ahead of them and are indicating a turn.

Stormwater works, footpath rehabilitation and road re-surfacing will also form part of this project I believe.

Llessur2002

#454 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

whatstheirnamesmom wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:00 pm
This is actual construction, which is meant to be beginning today. Bike SA and Bike Adelaide have been reporting this. I viewed the tender documents a few months ago, I assume not too much has changed in the final design. From Rundle St to North Tce we'll see a copy/paste of the bikeway as it exists from Grenfell to Rundle. From North Tce to Victoria Drive, car lanes will finally be reduced from two to one to allow room for wide bike lanes on either side, separated from traffic by flexi-posts (not a concrete buffer). Bus stops will be retained and will be shared with the bike lanes. The current painted footpath/cycle path treatment on the eastern side of Frome Rd will be disappearing. From Victoria Dr to Albert Bridge, a new shared-use path is being constructed on the western side of Frome Rd (similar to what exists on Frome Rd north of the Torrens). For cyclists heading south, the bike lane will be retained but with a new ramp allowing the option to transition to the existing pedestrian lights to facilitate crossover to the shared path. My understanding is the on-road (unprotected) bike lanes will remain on this section as an additional option for those not wanting to bother with the criss-cross heading south. The Victoria Dr slip lane at the intersection is also being removed.

The bike lanes will also be marked through the intersections of Rundle/Frome and North Tce/Frome (as they are on much of the current bikeway), meaning turning cars must yield to traffic in the continuing lane. This is different from the current setup of these intersections where cyclists are required to give way to turning cars who are ahead of them and are indicating a turn.

Stormwater works, footpath rehabilitation and road re-surfacing will also form part of this project I believe.
Thanks for this - I work on the NT-Vic Drive section so this is very exciting to see!

Nort

#455 Post by Nort » Mon May 06, 2024 2:30 pm

Great to hear this is happening, I thought for sure that Crowne Plaza would have found some way to push back against it.

Just need to say bugger off to the lawyer NIMBYs now and get the East/West one built!

Nathan

#456 Post by Nathan » Mon May 06, 2024 2:51 pm

Not sold on the flexy posts, and don't know why it's taken years and years for that to be the solution. But I guess it at least stops drivers stopping in the bike lane like they do now.

Is there anything in the plans to have a proper connection between the bikeway and the linear path (that isn't carry the bike up and down steps), as well as resolve the conflict with the Victoria Dr slip lane (The line markings imply cars changing into the slip lane have right of way over cyclists travelling straight — which is not how it should be and often creates issues between cars/busses and cyclists)?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#457 Post by SRW » Mon May 06, 2024 2:54 pm

Mon May 06, 2024 12:00 pm

Thank you for sharing. How odd that none of this has been communicated by Council publicly.

It's good that they're separating bikes from the footpaths and reducing lanes VicDr-NTce. They recently ripped up Frome for some sort of pipe works associated with Lot Fourteen, and its clear it can cope with one lane each way. Are they keeping median strip as is? It sounds like the bus stops will interupt the bike lane, but I wonder whether reducing the median would allow enough space for bus bays.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#458 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:54 pm
its clear it can cope with one lane each way
Apart from access to the Wilson car park that is. I saw that creating relatively long queues on several occasions during those works.

@whatstheirnamesmom - Do you remember if the right turn lanes for people accessing the car park from the south are being retained?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#459 Post by SRW » Mon May 06, 2024 4:45 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:54 pm
its clear it can cope with one lane each way
Apart from access to the Wilson car park that is. I saw that creating relatively long queues on several occasions during those works.

@whatstheirnamesmom - Do you remember if the right turn lanes for people accessing the car park from the south are being retained?
Yes, that's true, but much clearer now the turning lane to the second access road at SA Pathology has reopened. I would assume this would be retained and the temporary right turn nearer VicDr would close.
Keep Adelaide Weird

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#460 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Tue May 07, 2024 10:04 am

So the right turn into Gate 6 nearer Vic Dr is retained, and the other right turn further south (into 'Gate 4') will be defunct as it will be two exit-only lanes. Even though it will be defunct it looks like they are retaining it instead of expanding the median.. not sure why? It even notes that the right turn marking will be removed from the road.

The above also shows Bus Stop 1A East located in the bike lane. Bus Stop 1A West is being relocated to the other side of the intersection and looks like it will have a bus priority light. So at least one bus stop is being removed and won't conflict with the bike lane.

It also shows that a short section of footpath cycling is being retained past the intersection heading towards the transition into the separated bikeway.

Also shown is the removal of the Vic Dr slip lane and how that area will now be used for bikes to transition across to the east or continue around to the new shared path to the north.

I swung past Vic Dr last night, the site is now established adjacent Grundy Gardens. Looks like SGP Civil is delivering this one. The Lord Mayor has made an announcement of the project on her socials.

Nathan

#461 Post by Nathan » Tue May 07, 2024 10:09 am

Tue May 07, 2024 10:04 am
Also shown is the removal of the Vic Dr slip lane and how that area will now be used for bikes to transition across to the east or continue around to the new shared path to the north.
Hallelujah! I've had more near misses at that slip lane then anywhere else in the city.